Damaged Center Stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I am in the process of converting my '82 back into a Standard and one of the main issues that arose this year was the center stand collapsed! The cross tube ripped on both sides and rolled the stand under the bike. To perform the repair, I need to access the whole cross tube which means pulling the engine and gas tank.

One of the things I am learning here is how much I have relied on that center stand to pull the engine, exhaust, rear wheel and do all kinds of work. In order to pull the engine, the side stand has to come off which makes holding up the bike a bit of a challenge! :rant:

I left the frames attached from the Hondaline bags and set up two jack stands to keep the bike level! :yahoo:

The exhaust has to come off and it is held in place by the same bolts as the framework from the bags! :head bang:

Drop the bike back on the side stand, remove the exhaust and re-attach the bag frames. Now I can think about pulling the engine! :heat:

Pulling the engine has also raised the question about some of the other components that should be checked with the engine out. First thing that got my attention is the soldered stator wires. Had to cut them again and now I have to decide if it is worth it to purchase one of those vintage plug kits to fix/replace some of the other plugs that are now exposed with the bike coming apart.

I'm thinking to put a brand new 3 wire connector back at the stator connection. When I put the radio in the trunk, I am going to need to run wires up to that handlebars as well as the battery. Seems like another good location for proper connectors so that it can all be taken apart again in the future.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117281#p117281:guommitm said:
backyardtrouble » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 pm[/url]":guommitm]
I hope you have another center piece for the job,,,,, :shock:
Nope......going from scratch and will have to fabricate a new cross tube. Not quite sure if I am going to do it myself yet or take it to a shop. I have a friend with a welder, grinder and torches, but it might be better to have a shop do it. Once the engine and gas tank are out, I will get pics up and will decide how I am going to proceed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117289#p117289:2gbq9bo9 said:
brianinpa » Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 pm[/url]":2gbq9bo9]
Are you putting a center stand back on it again?
Yes! I use it all the time! Not having it has really cramped my repair schedule big time! Plus, when the bike is on the side stand I lose a lot of room in my already cramped garage.

It must be us old blokes, every time I look at a late model sports tourer I find that center stands are an option or not available at all. I definitely love a center stand for the same reasons, even just checking tire pressures is easier on the center stand and don't forget chain lubing on the CBRs.

Yeah I had fun going to bike nights and setting mine on center stand then sitting back in on it and watching everyone else standing around.. really felt relaxed.. At the time mine was a 78 gs550 Suzuki, modified with parts from the e model.. to include rear disk brake.. eventually bought also everything from the guy except frame and engine.. but I loved the fact all the bikes I have had except a dirt bike had/have the center stand

Gerry, I have an '83 frame with a good centerstand and support members, but with damage to the front section. I could cut it up and send you whatever you need if you're interested...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117348#p117348:2v8hwner said:
Steve83 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:46 pm[/url]":2v8hwner]
Gerry, I have an '83 frame with a good centerstand and support members, but with damage to the front section. I could cut it up and send you whatever you need if you're interested...
Hmmm.....that might be easier to just crop out a correct center stand with an intact crosstube. I would hate to see you cut up a frame only to find out there might be corrosion damage similar to mine? (But I like the idea much better than fabricating a new one)

Given the damage to the lower front member, plus the fact that there is no title, I would rather see at least part of it go to a worthy cause. I can only imagine the difficulty of working on your bike while on the side stand.

If I cut it and find corrosion, well it's no good to anyone, so no great loss! It's worth a try...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117405#p117405:c69xxx0y said:
Steve83 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:33 am[/url]":c69xxx0y]
Given the damage to the lower front member, plus the fact that there is no title, I would rather see at least part of it go to a worthy cause. I can only imagine the difficulty of working on your bike while on the side stand.

If I cut it and find corrosion, well it's no good to anyone, so no great loss! It's worth a try...
Hey Steve! PM sent!

Steve is the MAN!! :clapping: :party: Got a chance to clean up the cross tube he sent and compare to mine. :shock:

Not good for me...... :shock: My frame is worse than I thought! :cheeky: I have been cleaning and removing parts all weekend and I am down to a rolling frame and finally got my first good look at what I am up against. My cross tube is not only ripped all the way across, but it is also bent forward about 5 degrees. There is a crack in the welds on the right side of the frame down at the foot rest right where the cross tube sits. When I put my center stand on the replacement cross tube and compare the angles, it shows that there is going to be a lot of skilled work needed to get this correct again! :cheeky:

Looks like I'm going to a shop for this one! :head bang:

(Pics as soon as I can so that you can see for yourselves.)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=119272#p119272:17pz0785 said:
Ansimp » Tue May 27, 2014 7:58 pm[/url]":17pz0785]
Least you now have a good cross tube as a reference point :good:
Man your not kidding! If I had gone by my current cross tube, I would just made things worse!

I sure hope it works for ya, Gerry! Hopefully, there'll be plenty of good steel in your frame side tubes to weld it up to! If not, I'll send you my '80 frame... :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=119269#p119269:ltn9e26b said:
mcgovern61 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 pm[/url]":ltn9e26b]
Not good for me...... :shock: My frame is worse than I thought! :cheeky: I have been cleaning and removing parts all weekend and I am down to a rolling frame and finally got my first good look at what I am up against. My cross tube is not only ripped all the way across, but it is also bent forward about 5 degrees. There is a crack in the welds on the right side of the frame down at the foot rest right where the cross tube sits. When I put my center stand on the replacement cross tube and compare the angles, it shows that there is going to be a lot of skilled work needed to get this correct again! :cheeky:

Yikes! That doesn't sound so good.

Latest posts