Dave in North-Central Ohio

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daijen

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am the brand new owner of a $400 1981 GL1100 and this looked like a good place to be. I have been trying to read a lot about the GLs, so I joined Classic Goldwings and NGW and both look to have tons of info for everyone from beginners like me to those more experienced with both Wings and wrenches.

I am from the South but now live in Ohio. It's my first state populated by people of the Northern Persuasion, but I'm liking it--the hunting and fishing are great. Live in the sticks. My youngest child is a high school senior and I'm going to be lost without him so I am definitely in need of a new hobby. I work at heating/cooling. Spent time in Marines & Army, thus proving I am a glutton for punishment. I have been a dedicated Harley rider forever, but I think I'm about done with them for a bunch of reasons. A couple of years ago I saw a Naked Wing and I really, really liked it. Since then, I have wanted one. I don't need a fancy Wing, I just want a good, solid bike to ride, mostly alone, for significant distances instead of from Roosters to BWWs wrapped in all the cheesy name-brand leather I can carry. (Oops, did that come out sounding less than impressed?)

I am in most regards a terrible mechanic, but I love bikes and always have. I want to make Peach (stole the name from the fat, hostile sheriff's wife in Lonesome Dove) a little leaner, meaner, and louder. My end goals aren't too outlandish, but neither are they aimed at anything close to a restoration. I prefer a bike with more of my own personal imprint.

I look forward to learning from and about the folks on this site. Thanks for having me.

Welcome Dave. I'm on the east side of the state. 81 is a spry bike for an oldwing. Lot's great folks and advice here. As long as you can follow advice the folks here can teach the art of wrench bending on oldwings.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164972#p164972:xjy4zzvn said:
slabghost » 9 minutes ago[/url]":xjy4zzvn]
Welcome Dave. I'm on the east side of the state. 81 is a spry bike for an oldwing. Lot's great folks and advice here. As long as you can follow advice the folks here can teach the art of wrench bending on oldwings.

Excellent! Thanks very much for the welcome. Looking forward to learning a bunch.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164974#p164974:1mdn8ztp said:
Steve83 » 18 minutes ago[/url]":1mdn8ztp]
Hi Dave...welcome from Southern California! You'll enjoy the '81!

Thank you. I'm excited about it. We'll see how it goes. Looks like lots of good info and good folks here.

Welcome to the fun! One of the things I love about our community is how friendly it is, and how answers to most questions can be had in minutes as our community is very active.

:good:

~O~

Welcome from Washington State Dave! You've come to the right place for knowledge of these old beauties!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165004#p165004:z6jtm202 said:
brianinpa » 19 minutes ago[/url]":z6jtm202]
Welcome to Classics from PA Dave! We like pictures! :mrgreen:

A heads up: I also joined NGW, and this is what I posted there after getting "Peach". Still holds true, though I am finding myself inclined toward slightly more significant changes, like dual carbs, ignition upgrade, etc......

I was a Harley rider for a long time, but sold my last ('73 Shovel) to cover some medical bills. I missed it, but not as much as I was afraid I would. I'd become less infatuated with HD over the last few years. What I did miss, of course, was riding, and almost as important, having something to tinker around with in the garage during the winter or when The Wicked Witch of The West (mother-in-law) visits. Then I came across a naked Wing and I wanted one. Bad. Money, however, was still an issue. I shopped around and looked and looked until last week when I finally bought a 1981 GL1100 with 46,000 miles off CL for $400.00. My son immediately named it Peach, after the ugly and ill-tempered Arkansas sheriff's wife in Lonesome Dove.

It is ugly as sin but runs, shifts through the gears, and moves down the road. That's the good. The bad is that it blows white smoke from both pipes, though more heavily on the left. From a thread here I have come to suspect I need to replace the head gaskets and the other gaskets and seals that go with that effort. The stator is bad and that the rectifier/regulator is missing. Also from these threads I know I need to change the timing belts. Not the biggest challenge for a lot of the guys on this site, I know, but for me, arguably the world's worst mechanic, it will be a challenge.

My goals aren't too radical. Make it a little slimmer. Maybe a hint of cafe, but not the whole enchilada. Sportier pipes, seat, bars, fender, and lighting. More of a cosmetic makeover than performance or structural mods. Cheap paint. Maybe switch the wheels to the solid cast wheels, if I can, because I really like the look of them. Not sure if I can do that, but I'm sure there is a thread here that will let me know.

I know nothing about these bikes, but this seems like a good place to learn and I'm happy to have found it. The bikes and threads here are really something.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 517
I'd save the stock exhaust as it looks to be good and solid. Get Jardines pipes or headers and HD take off cans if you want louder. Yes looks like you'll need to change out head gaskets.

I also have an 81 in need of head gaskets. Must be that time. I'll check which wheels I have. Maybe we can just swap?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165050#p165050:34uec2ro said:
slabghost » Today, 6:19 pm[/url]":34uec2ro]
Just checked my wheels are the same as yours.

Thanks. I appreciate the thought, but I got a set of cast off eBay for $250 delivered. They are nice and came with really good tires, but I see after looking at them that I will need to have them powder-coated. Seriously thinking about putting an oven in my garage and learning to do that myself. Probably pay for itself first batch. Thanks again for the welcome. Seems like a nice place.

Latest posts