Day two she fired up....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macmusick

Reaction score
Yesterday I dragged home a 1982 GL1100 Standard. The bike has sat in a car port since August 2009. I tried to start it without first draining the fuel. I managed to foul two plugs. Today I drained all the gas and the float bowls. I put in four new plugs and it fired up. I wanted to warm it up before I adjusted the idle. In first gear when I pull away from stop there is a horrible gnashing sound that quickly goes away until I stop and start again in first. I rode only a couple of miles. All gears were great and plenty of power. This bike has 33,500 miles and has been well taken care of.

I was going to change the oil today but our local Honda shop was out of filters. So before I ride again I will change the oil. I cannot tell the oil lever in the site glass. I tried the "wiper" didn't help.

I have owned two Valkyries and one GL1800 and a VTX1800R. I also currently own an 87 Rebel 450 that runs very well. I am excited about this wing. If I can get it running right I think I will keep it for a long long time. It feels like the right size for me. I found help here on the site in the tech files about removing carbs. I have not done that yet but am grateful for the clear detailed description and photos. I know I will find a lot more of value. My wife and I live near Durango CO. Our riding season has just begun. Come on out. I work on Fridays at a BMW repair shop in Mancos CO. See our website and online store. https://www.basinmotorcycleworks.com Thanks. Glad to be here.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll get her running right. Since it is rideable you may not need to remove the carbs. Try half a can of seafoam cleaner in each of the next two tanks of fuel. That could clean them up enough to avoid removal of carbs for now.

Thanks for the welcomes. I am gonna like this site. I have found very useful information. The contributions by site members are fantastic!. So I have yet to take any photos of my 82GL1100. I just got it yesterday. I did post pics of my wife's Goldwing trike and my Valk and my VTX1800R. Sadly my wife chooses not to ride anymore and I sold her bike and the Valk and VTX when I need to scrape up some money to pay off a loan. I am happy to have another Honda. My first was in 1964, it was a 62 Honda 250 Scrambler. I've had a lot of bikes since. I am 66 years mellow. Like old wine I have manged to avoid turning sour and I believe motorcycles have helped me feel young.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Since the bike sat so long and it is making noise pulling out 1st gear, I would add 1/2 can of seafoam to the oil, get the engine warmed up and then run around for about 20 miles at highway speed and drop the oil while it is hot! While still hot, pull the filter, (do not put one back in for the moment, just the put the filter housing back on) add two quarts of 10w40, start the bike again at idle for a minute to run the oil around and drop the oil again. With the filter housing on and the drain plug out, turn the engine over with just the starter and get the remaining oil out. Put in new filter and new oil. This should help get the junk out of the oil system and then you will be starting with clean oil which should help the clutch and shifting. Have fun!

thats a good idea ,,,,dont shove though the gears though ...its like a wasghing machine just put it through it cycle nice and smooth and drain it like gerry said when its up in temp and before everything settles....also think about adding ATF in the gas about 8ozs to a tank this is great for oldwings it will clean the carbs and make the gas better no down side even if it smokes it good it will probably stop smoking after awhile ...if the mixture seems to much for the condition of the motor you can cut back some later ....it may smoke on start as an everyday thing but in the long run this is all good for the bike....

I am grateful for all the advice and will follow it. Yesterday I went to our Honda dealer to get an oil filter. He didn't have one in stock but just as soon as he does I'll go through that process.

I will need to replace the fork seals and timing belts. This is a good project. With the advice found on this site I feel confident that I can do these things.

Thanks,

Mac from Durango

Have fun with the OldWing you are gonna love it. Sometimes the best maintenance for a bike that has sat for a long time is change all the fluids, tune iit up and then the most important thing,,,, RIDE IT !!!
I have had a few that would not run perfectly for a while but after a few tanks of good clean gas they perk up. I really do think that old stale gas will make valves stick and engines run crappy for a while.
Just my honest opinion and worth nothing. :oops:

Day three I have figured outhowto start the engine easily enough. The challenge is keeping it running by playing with the chokea great deal. I expect this to improve with seafoam and a couple of tanks of good gas. I was planning to do the 20 mile warm up lap sugested by Gerry but after running the engine for a few minutes my buddy noticed gas leaking from the hose between the petcock and the filter. The hose was cracked. I turned off the gas. When I removed the fuel filter I could see it was full of yuck. Tomorrow, new filter, new gas line a 20 mile ride andthe oil change routine. I was able to buy an oil filter and oil at Napa Auto Parts. I got the fuelfilter at the Honda dealer. The first one the counter guy brought out had the Honda brand and was $30. When I nearly had a heart attack he went back and got an aftermarket filter identical to the one I'd taken off, for $5.

Walmart is selling a five quart jug of Castrol GTX 10-40 for $13.50. They had run out at the store near me so I got six quarts at Napa for $2.99 each.

I am looking forward to day 4.

Today I replaced the fuel filter ( I discovered yesterday that it had been installed wrong direction ) replaced the hose to the petcock and to the fuel pump. I added seafoam to the gas and rode for 25 miles. I loved the ride. I have owned two Valks, an 1800VTX, and we ( my wife and I ) owned a 2003 GL1800 trike. This GL110 is more comfortable than any of those other bikes. It is not as powerful as a 1500 or 1800 but those bikes had more power than I ever needed. The GL has plenty of power.

When I got home from the ride I drained the oil. I did the suggestion of putting two quarts in without the filter just the canister and ran that for two mins. ( Thanks Gerry). I changed the oil, installed the filter and rode for only about a mile before I put the bike away for the night. Tomorrow I plan a long ride.

Below 1500 rpm running is still a bit rough. I need to fiddle with the idle and maybe the carbs a bit more. I think I'll run more gas and seafoam before I touch the carbs. I can play with the idle adjust.

This has been a gratifying project. When I bought it I was told it had starting problems. I am guessing the fuel filter in backwards would cause air locks and not be an effective filter. After tomorrow I will know.

Day 4 and I am a happy camper. I posted a photo in the gallery. Thanks for all your good suggestions.

dan filipi":1k8h31t6 said:
Sounds like Napa has some pretty good deals.
From past experience they were always much higher than everyone else. I'll have to pay them another visit.

Hello Dan, First let me express my gratitude for this great website. The photos and the information is priceless. I really appreciate what you have provided for your fellow classic wing riders.

I am not sure Napa is the best place to shop. I do know that prices there are cheaper than the Honda Dealers. Somehow the red labels add bucks to the price of things. I have seen prices like for example $3.95 for aftermarket fuel filter but don't mind paying $5 at a local store.

Thanks again Amigo. I will be seeing/reading you here often.