Goldwing Observation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am into my second season of riding my 86 Interstate. Previously I have owned many bikes, including a 1982 fxrs that I had for 20 years. With most of the bikes I spent more time cleaning them than riding. It got so bad that I would not ride so I did not have to polish for a few hours after the ride. With the gold wing I RIDE IT ALL THE TIME. Yesterday I got rained on twice got home and spent 3 minutes wiping her off and called it a day. Not to mention it is really fun to ride.

Bikes were made to be ridden... ride it! Paint the shiny stuff so you don't need to clean it all the time. :smilie_happy:

I am taking the next step to observation. Purple LEDs should make me quite visible as I am riding at night. Ahh, who am I kidding, someone will still claim: I didn't see you! :Doh2:

Good on you. Ride it as often as possible and it will work well. Vehicles regardless of ilk work better when operated all the time. Things happen when you don't use them. A little bit of rain won't hurt, we don't melt - non of us are that sweet! :Egyptian:

Cheers

I try to wash my bike once a year (if I remember). :hihihi: I am a big fan of keeping the bike generally clean as a way to check for leaks and such. But it sure doesn't get polished. I polished the forks and valve covers in 2015. I think I am due to polish them again sometime in the near future. :hihihi:

I try to keep both of mine as clean as I can, but I bought neither of them to be show bikes. I'll let it go until i just can't stand it, and then I'll wipe it down, and use a spray detailer....maybe polish the exhaust chrome if it really needs it. I've been rained on several times with both of them. Once I get to my destination(shop or home), I'll blast it with air to dry off most of it, and that's it. Kewl thing aboot the 1500 is, you can't really SEE most of the works! It's all covered by plastic.....which wipes down fairly easily. I made a HUGE mistake polishing all the stuff I did on the 1100.....just that much more crap I gotta clean now.... :doh:

I also prefer riding than cleaning. After riding i just take the insects off bcause old accidented insects are agressiv to plastics.

+1 on the removal of bugs after a ride (they're detrimental to the finish). I try to keep it clean, but rain is not my enemy, just wash it after. Polishing is something that happens when I'm trapped in the garage in the winter months (sometimes) :blush: :)