Hard to start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's, I got a small problem with my 84 standard. When I start it, it starts with no problem but when it's hot she has trouble turning over ( turns slow ) and sometimes won't start. Where should I look first,

I would look at the water temp. first, then the timing. Also batteries heal when they sit, in other words they will slowly raise the volts, check your charging voltage at the battery

Starter motor bushes are worn and the starter is "poling" if you have a good battery and it is slow starting while hot.

I forgot to mention, this bike was all rebuilt this winter, all the parts are rebuilt or new, the starter was rebuilt all new parts.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 184
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149774#p149774:16hpl9kq said:
flash2002 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":16hpl9kq]
I forgot to mention, this bike was all rebuilt this winter, all the parts are rebuilt or new, the starter was rebuilt all new parts.
file.php
Beautiful bike!

Are the heads caped at secondary air openings? If so are caps available? Beautiful bike, & work!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149788#p149788:pmpcddo3 said:
Denver » Fri May 29, 2015 6:53 pm[/url]":pmpcddo3]
Are the heads caped at secondary air openings? If so are caps available? Beautiful bike, & work!!!
No, there are no secondary oprnings on this motor, they are not the same as the US models.

Attachments

• 100_1565.jpg
    100_1565.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 175
Mor pictures for Omega Man :wave:

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_1566.jpg
    100_1566.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 174
Thanks, I see now from different photos, that painted intake was what I was seeing, :thank_you: eyes played another trick on me. :blush:

Do you have another starter to try? Starters can be a pain in the rear no matter how well they are rebuilt sometimes. Fortunately most rebuilds do work out very well.

I had the same thing happen to my on my '76 the other day Z. I rode it to the gas station and when I went to start it again it cranked super slow, like the battery was dead. I let of the starter button and then hit it again and she cranked right over. I had an '87 Monte Carlo that did the same thing. I never did figure out the cause but they always start and have never left me stranded so....not much help I guess.

:0fftopic: That is one beautiful bike there...

Just a thought. It may be possible the contacts in the relay may not be allowing full power through to the starter. When it does that try jumping the big terminals on the solenoid. If it spins over over the solenoid is the likely problem.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149769#p149769:31yevevd said:
flash2002 » 2015-05-29- 14:40[/url]":31yevevd]
Hi guy's, I got a small problem with my 84 standard. When I start it, it starts with no problem but when it's hot she has trouble turning over ( turns slow ) and sometimes won't start. Where should I look first,

I know this is an old post - but seems like you're an active member.

Curious if you ever got to the bottom of this issue? I've had the same thing happen twice on mine. Both times, I was dropping my daughter off at her friend's house, and chatted with her friend's parents for a couple of minutes. When I hit the starter, the engine turned over slowly.

I'm fairly new to this bike and feared that the charging system wasn't keeping up.

But, the next morning when the bike was stone cold, it spun over quickly and easily.

Latest posts