Hello from Lansing, Michigan

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just got home with a 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100.

Yesterday, I found this bike on Craigslist. The very nice owner of the bike wanted $$ but he warned me that he had taken off all the fairing and made it a naked bike. He also told me that the battery was practically dead, but he was charging it for the last few hours.

Today, I called him and told him what my budget was and he agreed it was workable. When I got there the charger was still attached, and the bike looked ok.

After several attempts the bike started and stayed on. He took it for a ride where I could see him. A school bus had just arrived and there were a lot of kids walking in his neighborhood. So I waited until the kids were further away and let the bike warm up some more. Then I took it out for about 1-2 miles. It ran okay, but the shifting was a little difficult at first. I had a hard time getting it out of first gear. But after a little time the shifting became much smoother.

At this time I really was not sure I wanted to buy it. The PO could see I was very unsure. I honestly told him that the bike obviously needed more work. There was a headlight and a rear brake light, but no turn signals. The brakes and tires looked ok, but will need to be checked and replaced as needed. My biggest concern is I don't feel comfortable doing the repairs my self. I would have to hire a mechanic to all the necessary work.

He asked how much I wanted to pay, but I told him I did not want to be insulting. He told me his mechanic works almost exclusively on Goldwings and he gave me the shop owners card. At this time I offered him $$ and we agreed upon a price. But he could not find the title. I told him I would be back some other time and he could call me if he found the Title to the bike. He was nice.

Before I drove away I called the shop owner and spoke to the mechanic. He said they had not seen the PO in almost 2 years. But he said that prior to him stopping to take the bike there he was always having the maintenance done on a regular basis. He also said they had put a new motor on his bike about 5 years ago.

Before I drove away I called him to tell him that I had spoken to his mechanic. He told me he just found all the paperwork (Title, Registration, Proof of Insurance). I said lets load it up on the trailer. He helped me even though I could tell his back was really hurting him.

I brought it home and during the drive I had rehearsed what I would say to my wife. She had known I was going out to look at it, but she did not think I was serious about buying it. She did not say anything when she saw it. She started helping me off load the bike when she yelled. I swear we saw several daddy long legs spiders all over the bike and trailer. She runs inside and I am thinking "noway I could have rehearsed for that". I am thinking I would ask a neighbor to help me, but I see my beloved wife coming back with something in her hand. It looked like a gun but was only a insect killer spray can. Now spiders don't bother me, but if this was gonna get me in her good grace so be it. I started spraying that sucker insect killer like there was a venemous snake in the trailer and I was gonna protect my lovely wife. After I emptied half the can she says "honey, I think you got em all. You can stop now". I said "but I love you so much". She says "okay, you wanna tell me how much you paid for this junk?".

I am not sure the pictures are upside down?

Thanks,
Simbaboy

thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Rphoto.JPG
    Rphoto.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 202
Turn you 'puter upside down.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Not a bad looking ride at all!! :good:

Attachments

• Rphoto.JPG
    Rphoto.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 204
  • Rphoto2.JPG
    Rphoto2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 201
toytender01":qhw5uxee said:
Great looking bike sim. Welcome from Central CAlif. By the way how much is $$ im MI dollers???

His initial asking price was $800
We settled for $270
The bike runs but will need turn lights, new battery, and a full tune up and all fluids replaced. I really think he had not ridden the bike in a couple of years and was just charging the battery to be able to start it and sell it.
The tires have thread but I'll check with a mechanic if they should be replaced.
Where should I ask some questions re: what I should have the mechanic do first. The bike runs but it felt sluggish power wise and the shifting could be better.

Thanks in advance,
Simbaboy

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

For $275...you got a great deal! :music:

*Sluggish - carbs are dirty - add 8oz ATF to a full tank of gas for a few tanks and it will at least start to claen out the carbs.
*Used parts are readily available from Ebay! - (turn signals, etc)
*Timing belts should be done ASAP
*Tires have a tire code that will tell you their age - if more than 3 years, consider replacing them
*There is a yellow 3 wire connector located on the left side forward of the battery that comes from the stator - check to see if it is darkened, melted or in good shape. This is a big electrical weak spot for the 1100. It is recommened that the connector is cut out and the wires are soldered ASAP.
*Valves should be adjusted
*Get the engine warmed up and then pull the plugs and do a compression test on all cylinders to get a base line for the engine condition
*Check brake pads for wear - there are wear bars built in to them
*Front Fork seals leaking?

These are just some basic first time items.

thank you all

I saw on ebay that just the seat, side covers go for more than what I paid for the bike. It does look like I got a good price. The PO just wanted nothing more to do with riding in general and wanted it out of his yard.

I appreciate the advice that I have already gotten---what a great forum. thanks.

I will have a mechanic do the initial tune up and fluid changes and timing belt. I can do the 'cosmetic stuff', but the last time I tried changing spark plugs on my Honda Twinstar (my first bike) I stripped the thread plugs and had to get a new head.

I have acquired some minor skills with a spray paint and hopefully one day my GL1100 will also look great. Every few months I change the way my old Twinstar looks. Most recently I have gone from Army to John Deere.

Thanks for your continued help.

Simbaboy

Attachments

• 2mac to external.jpg
    2mac to external.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 174
  • johndeerebike.jpg
    johndeerebike.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 171
Welcome aboard.Nice bike and a great price! If you are mechanically inclined you can do any work needed to fix up your bike. All the information and help you can ask for is right here.

slabghost":3jrqcecm said:
Welcome aboard.Nice bike and a great price! If you are mechanically inclined you can do any work needed to fix up your bike. All the information and help you can ask for is right here.

thanks for the encouragement. I am not absolutely hopeless mechanically and I can follow instructions.
I charged the battery overnight and tried starting it this morning before going to work. I don't think the battery is putting out enough juice. The front headlight comes on bright, the starter starts clicking but not enough for the motor to turn. Then after a couple of attempts there is no clicking at all. (But we were able to somehow start it yesterday before I bought it).

Is the battery available locally at a Walmart or Autozone? I spoke to the guy of the shop where I take my bikes for maintenance, but right away he starts telling me how expensive everything is to fix on the "old Goldwings". I think he is counting his chickens before they hatch. I don't think he knows about this great forum. Its just that his mechanic is probably the best in town ( He got my Twinstar running better than new), but the owner usually is quite negative about everything.

The fuel tank was empty and is stained (?rust). That will be step 2, I guess.

Thanks,
simbaboy

Yes batteries are available at local places. WalMart batteries sometimes do not last more than a season. If there are no flakes of rust in the tank I'd keep it full and install a new filter in the fuel line. Sluggish running will often cure itself after a few long runs with Seafoam or Techron in the fuel. Adding 8oz of automatic trans fluid to the fuel will help to clean things up too.

That's no piece of junk. :smilie_happy: You done good. Real good.
You got a good one there. Welcome to the forum. Go ahead, ask away. Good info here.

slabghost":16tj51h4 said:
Yes batteries are available at local places. WalMart batteries sometimes do not last more than a season. If there are no flakes of rust in the tank I'd keep it full and install a new filter in the fuel line. Sluggish running will often cure itself after a few long runs with Seafoam or Techron in the fuel. Adding 8oz of automatic trans fluid to the fuel will help to clean things up too.

Thanks All,
Can I add both Seafoam and ATF at the same time? Any particular ATF or will any work?
I don't mind getting a temp battery locally just to get it running.
Thanks,
Simba

simbaboy":2o71qz5u said:
[ I don't think the battery is putting out enough juice. The front headlight comes on bright, the starter starts clicking but not enough for the motor to turn. Then after a couple of attempts there is no clicking at all.

It's not likely the starter is bad. Could be the solenoid is dirty or just an iffy connection in that circuit. The guys on this forum and the tech section can get you through nearly any problems you might have. When I got my oldwing, I knew nothing about this motor, since then I've replaced the timing belts, adjusted the valves and replaced head gaskets with their help.
BTW, welcome to the forum, you found a good one. :clapping: :hi:

simbaboy":3cqqg9n6 said:
slabghost":3cqqg9n6 said:

Thanks All,
Can I add both Seafoam and ATF at the same time? Any particular ATF or will any work?
I don't mind getting a temp battery locally just to get it running.
Thanks,
Simba
I do with no problems. Any brand or type ATF will do fine. You'll be surprised at how fast it improves.

Latest posts