Help with 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1parrothead

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Gl1200
I just bought my first Goldwing, a 1985 1200 GL LTD. I am looking for help.

1. Is there an instruction manual for the Travel computer? I downloaded the bike manual, but it seems it only has trouble shooting for the computer, not instructions.

2. My radio comes on but no sound. I think the amp may have a fuse I can check, but cannot find it.

3. What is the round knob on the fairing above your left hand? Light adjustment?

4. This sat for awhile and I want to run some fuel injector cleaner, Seafoam or the like through it. Any recommendations?

5. Lastly, I have outlined its troubles above. Otherwise it is in BEAUTIFUL condition with only 16K miles. Garaged its whole life and in about as nice of shape as you could ask for. Any ideas on value?
Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• P1100331.JPG
    P1100331.JPG
    768.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P1100332.JPG
    P1100332.JPG
    817.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100333.JPG
    P1100333.JPG
    809.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100334.JPG
    P1100334.JPG
    696.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100339.JPG
    P1100339.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100342.JPG
    P1100342.JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100343.JPG
    P1100343.JPG
    714 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100335.JPG
    P1100335.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100336.JPG
    P1100336.JPG
    667.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1100337.JPG
    P1100337.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 0
Not really the best 1st GoldWing, but a great bike! Yes the knob is for headlight aiming. Search teh web for the instructions - they are out there. DO NOT use Seafoam or any other cleaner at higher than the chemical manufactures' specified concentration!

Change your belts!

Be careful what you run through the carbs, I think Seafoam is about the only "safe" cleaner to run through the carbs besides running a few ounces of ATF in the gas. Seafoam at it's recommended dosage only.

I was thinking Seafoam, but also considered injector cleaner. It runs pretty good, but was sitting.

Great looking bike, has a place in my heart. Don't listen to those other naysayers, it is the best first Gold Wing:cool:😁. You need the OEM service manual, Electrical troubleshooting manual and the most important Supplement - three manuals. If you do not get these, especially the electrical troubleshooting manual and Supplement, you will be asking a lot of questions and getting a lot of varying opinions from the carb and FI GW riders.

The travel computer info is in the Supplement. What is wrong with the travel computer?

There is a small booklet regarding the radio. The round knob is a headlight adjustment.

Use any good fuel injector cleaner. Would recommend taking the injectors off and sent in for servicing. These injectors are 37 (?) years old and no amount of cleaner will replace a good servicing.

The usual timing belt change regardless of age or what you have been told, peace of mind issue.

Tires - always a good discussion item - Shinko Tourmaster tires, work well on this model and are inexpensive.

Oil to be used - another good topic of discussion. This FI model was made before JASO was even a glint in a manufacturers eye. Any good oil without friction modifiers is good to use. The JASO designation just means it's good for wet clutch applications. Use an oil, generally a European formulation, that has an API donut that has the lower half blank. An example of the API donut:
API-CK-4-Donut-non-energy.jpg
This is the oil I use and have used in an 1800, a 1500, 1000 V-Strom, RE Himalayn, and 2014 Can-Am Spyder:
Bumper Oil 1.jpgBumper Oil 2.jpg
Notice the API donut.

Fluids - flush all, brakes, clutch, coolant. Take the covers off the MCs and you will probably see a lot of crud. Clutch slave cylinder - remove and rebuild. Lots of crud build up over the years. A good upgrade for a winter project is replacing the clutch and brake lines with SS braided lines. Need replacing after some 37 years.

Air ride system - need to replace or dry our the desiccant. Read up on this one, not easy to get to it.

If the engine is operating well and no issues, ride it for a while and get used to it. There are maintenance issues that may be required, but one thing at a time with this FI model. I've been working on mine for some 8 years now and not finished.

Good score! Ride safe!

Cheers

Thank you all for your replies. Do any of you know how to turn off the travel computer? My clock and little diagram of the United states is always on and a power drain. How do I shut it off?
Jeff

Travel Computer - always on. Drain is minimal. If concerned, connect a battery tender. To turn it off, need to disconnect the two white connectors. If you do this, to use travel computer, you will have to connect each time you want to use TC, and reset clock each time as well.

This FI model requires good power. If the battery is 4 years or older, replace it. A failing battery will affect performance and charging system. Use the old battery for something else.

Thank you. Anybody have any tips on adjusting g the rear-view mirrors? Are the manual? Motor driven? Mine are stiff and cannot tell if they are manual or power...

The side mirrors are manual. There is an internal spring that you can adjust the tension of to keep the mirrors in place. If your mirrors are set for you, I'd leave alone.

When the internal spring assembly is loose, the mirrors move out of adjustment. When this occurs you have to try and tighten he spring tension and if not, find a way to keep the mirrors where you want them. I have mine pinned to the correct position.

Ok.... just accidentally smashed my rear taillight. The long one that mounts on the trunk. Rolled bike backwards too far and smashed it into a shop door knob that was apparently at the he exact height to destroy my light. Wow.

Anybody have one for sale? I checked Ebay, there's a couple, but just thought I would ask here also.

Jeff

+1 for a battery tender. Battery Tender Jr. is cheap and a great quality of life addition to any motorcycle owner, even one that rides year round. Mine has brought a bunch of batteries back from the grave, including an old "add distilled water" lead acid out of a bike that sat for 7 years in an unheated storage garage.

Ok.... just accidentally smashed my rear taillight. The long one that mounts on the trunk. Rolled bike backwards too far and smashed it into a shop door knob that was apparently at the he exact height to destroy my light. Wow.

Anybody have one for sale? I checked Ebay, there's a couple, but just thought I would ask here also.

Jeff
Do you have a pic of what you're looking for?

If you look up milwaukeecycleparts on ebay to you find they have one for sale. I think there was a company that preceded kuryhakn? Spelling that actually sold them. In any event you can call a place called Dr.Mudspringers in Mound Minnesota at (763) 390-3516. They will have an answer