HOTTER COILS, easier

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen several ideas about updating coils,like a pair of GM DIS coils and even the chyrsler coil conversion on this very forum.
All seem like great modifications,but the 1100F forum https://www.cb1100f.net seems to have an easier option.I have not done this on my wing mainly becuase it runs fine and I see no reason to fix that,but I have done this on my 82 900F project (same coil as the goldwing) with great results.

Coils off the later R6 or R1 CBRs are almost a direct replacement but are a newer,better,hotter coil.They bolt right to the stock brackets and only one mounting hole needs to be changed do to them beeing shorter.I then installed a new set of universal solid core plug wires and a new set of NGK resister caps.These coils plug directly into the stock harness with no other modification needed.

This is a very common swap with the F bike crowd and I see no reason it cant be done with our wings.
https://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... ic&t=50593
I bought my coils off EBAY,just search CBR coil,and my wires and resister caps at work (a local parts store)

COILS----30.00 ebay
WIRES---12.00 (enough for three CB bikes,maybe two wings)
resisters--2.00/each
PLUGS----2.50/each

Attachments

• cb1100f015.jpg
    cb1100f015.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 597
  • cb1100f008.jpg
    cb1100f008.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 587
I was aware of the first link being bad,and see the missed S,was not aware of the problem with the second,do to having a log on it works for me.

But,an apparent other issue I have on this forum,aside from constantly being booted off,is I can not EDIT my post therefore can not delete the bad links.
If you really want to read the second link,you could create a log in.

To those who have gone this route:
Would you say this is a better solution than the Neon coil route?
I've not created an account and looked at it in depth, but from looking at the install pics in the first post, it surely seems like a much cleaner install.
I'll be doing one or the other this winter; just need to decide which.....

That is an excellent idea Tory. Do you happen to know the voltage output of those coils? The neon coils are rated 30K and the MSD or accel are 36K where the stock 1100 & 1200s are about18K.
You may think your bike runs good, I thought mine did too until I put the neon coil on it, wow what a difference.

DaveO430":e2zncikr said:
...where the stock 1100 & 1200s are about18K.
You may think your bike runs good, I thought mine did too until I put the neon coil on it, wow what a difference.

Dave, I'm 22Kv out of stock 1100 coils at idle on my 1000.
Has anyone put your Neon coil swap on a scope to see what is actually going on, to see what voltages are happening at the plug?
Or the CBR coils? Anyone scope those?

Dave, I'm 22Kv out of stock 1100 coils at idle on my 1000.
Has anyone put your Neon coil swap on a scope to see what is actually going on, to see what voltages are happening at the plug?
Or the CBR coils? Anyone scope those?[/quote]

22Kv sounds pretty high. I don't remember much about using a scope, haven't seen one in years but my memory says normal firing voltage at idle even with 1.1mm plug gap should only be about 12 to 16Kv. Wish I had a scope to check it out with. All I know for sure is the OMG what a difference the coil mod makes, not just me but everyone I know of that has done it.

Oh, I believe it. I've followed the threads on and off for a while now. Had intentions of trying it myself, just never got around to it.

I don't know the actual specs of the 1000 or 1100 factory coils, and that bothers me.

Example: of the various Honda coils (GL, CB, AW-82's, AW-86's, etc.) all could have the same turns ratio, ohm rating, maybe even the same wire for the windings, etc., but if just one unknown variable is different than the rest, then something, say mH's for example, could have one coil so much more potent than the others that I end up more perplexed then ever when all other known variables remain unchanged. I end up trying to find out as much as I can. I end up playing with ballast resistors and dwell times and such. I end wasting money in the end on parts that I didn't need. I don't know where to source detailed specs for a TEC AW-82 coil for example.

If I had more info (Honda in particular) I feel I could do more to tune my bike for peak performance.

Ain't no doubt in my mind the Neon coil mod works. The many seat-of-the-pants reports in favor of it tell me so. I just wish I had more info; not particular to your mod though. More factory info so I could decide if using factory parts is on par with what you've come up with. I'm all for using other, non-factory parts. I like to baseline off the factory stuff (mix or match, don't matter to me - factory Honda is Honda) first and go from there.

Lately I've been concentrating on that 7-pin GM module.

I read that other ignition thread and now know how you came by that 22Kv. I did get to wondering if that is the combined voltage from firing 2 plugs so that actual firing voltage at each plug would be 1/2 that, 11k each? Seems like a more normal voltage for a .045 gap. My reason for looking for something else simple and cheap is that I have seen way over half of the stock coils I have looked at were cracked, (probably from bad secondary components). OE parts are getting harder to get all the time, new or used. I thought about GM HEI but decided they would be too much load on the primary without more modifications, which got in the way of keeping it simple and cheap. The neon coil seemed to fit the bill well enough so I gave it a try and the results were better than expected.

am in need of following this closer and do more study, but to be clear, this coil upgrade applys to the 1100 andthe 1200 both?, having one of each and always interested in a "good tweak" could see doing a conversion this winter ...... :Egyptian: ....Crowe

DaveO430":1ijgaz55 said:
I read that other ignition thread and now know how you came by that 22Kv. I did get to wondering if that is the combined voltage from firing 2 plugs so that actual firing voltage at each plug would be 1/2 that, 11k each? Seems like a more normal voltage for a .045 gap.

22Kv single-cylinder voltages witnessed on my Bear analyzer. Viewing in raster, I've less than a Kv on the dead cylinder, sometimes with no fire at all.
It's not word-play.

Latest posts