I got to ride it for the first time ever after months of work, a couple questions:

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131714#p131714:1wgsqs63 said:
dan filipi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:27 am[/url]":1wgsqs63]
I'm doing it the same way.
So much time and money I spent on mod experiments that now I'm out of money to take care of the essentials. A bit at a time and making some wait till I can put enough money into it to do it right.

My issue wasn't so much money on mods, it was so many parts missing or requiring replacement. So far I had to replace two complete brake calipers plus rebuild kits plus pistons plus rear mount plus rear line, and now the only one I didn't replace may need replacing if I can't free up that frozen part. Those $$ add up fast.

OK I got the caliper freed up. Roasted the rubber out with a torch, mangled the mount pin with vice grips, banged and smashed the hell out of it with a heavy framing hammer and finally got it out. Luckily I had another to replace it.

I seem to be missing a bushing or something from my lower forks. Where do I find all the part numbers for these brake mount pins and bushings in the lower forks near the trac adjuster? Inside and outside bushings and pin. Photo isn't of my forks just one I found on the web for an example.

Attachments

• 4078b-01.jpg
    4078b-01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 143
Still can't find them... Here is the closest I can find to that area on a parts list in the gallery for an 83, and it doesn't seem to show the specific parts I'm talking about:

Also tried partszilla looking up forks and brakes, still not seeing the parts I'm talking about.

Attachments

• GL1100 80-83 Parts Manual Page 171.png
    GL1100 80-83 Parts Manual Page 171.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 130
Oh I think I know what part your referring to that looks like a bushing is missing.
Is it on the lower pin where the outer bracket bolts on to the caliper?
Mine looked loose also but it's tight once assembled, well tight as it's designed to be I think.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132259#p132259:20ql8o8q said:
dan filipi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:22 pm[/url]":20ql8o8q]
Oh I think I know what part your referring to that looks like a bushing is missing.
Is it on the lower pin where the outer bracket bolts on to the caliper?
Mine looked loose also but it's tight once assembled, well tight as it's designed to be I think.

Yes but on one side I have an outer bushing and on the other side its missing. I put one of the floppy rubber bushings there to fill the gap but its not the right part I don't think. Nothing holding the pin into the fork on the right outside fork and nothing to seal out water.

Is this the bolt you're talking about?

image.php

There is quite a bit of looseness against the rubber bushing where it does appear a bushing might be needed, or possibly the rubber is worn/pounded out.

Yes that's it, you are missing the same rubber bushing as I am. Yours even looks the same as mine where you can see some torn remnants of something rubber that used to be there if you look close and zoom in on that spot.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132312#p132312:lsvo2p7g said:
83gl1200 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:11 am[/url]":lsvo2p7g]
Yes that's it, you are missing the same rubber bushing as I am. Yours even looks the same as mine where you can see some torn remnants of something rubber that used to be there if you look close and zoom in on that spot.
Yep, exactly.

Would be nice to fix them up with new rubber or bushings like they should be.

Any like finding the parts?

No luck, can't even find an exploded view that shows any of those parts. I don't even know what its supposed to look like.
I could try removing the parts on the side of my bike that has them to get an idea of what I'm looking for, but i can tell they're dry and ready to fall apart and theyll get ripped or torn trying to remove them. All those bushings on that trac part on both sides of my bike need replacing. Both inner and outer bushing/seals on both sides.

Mine have both metal sleeves, which the bolts go through, and I think the sleeve is supposed to have rubber bushings/seals at both ends like you see on the bottom of each brake caliper. A hollow tube that slides in and out on rubber bushings. If you don't have the metal tubes any more it's probably because the bushings that would hold them were gone and they became useless so the po left them out. Mine aren't totally useless yet but not far from it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132293#p132293:ofmmppiy said:
dan filipi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:59 am[/url]":eek:fmmppiy]
Is this the bolt you're talking about?

image.php

There is quite a bit of looseness against the rubber bushing where it does appear a bushing might be needed, or possibly the rubber is worn/pounded out.
Just so you know that bolt is supposed to have some slop, it presses a plunger when the brakes are applied it actuates the anti dive valve. It is more of a boot that goes there, a bushing might be too stiff to let it move..better nothing then the wrong part.

Thanks for the info. I will look into replacing those parts next time I have it apart. For now I just put brake caliper mount grommets in there too cover the hole.
I'm in the middle of primer on all the body parts ATM. It took a lot of fiberglass repair, filling and sanding to get the body panels and fender ready for paint. Had to redo someone's previous one piece tank mod which cracked at the joints because he didn't do it right. So much work fixing opp.

Latest posts