Just a conversation starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Just for some different subject matter:
I of course know how I feel about this and why but will spare you for now.

Do any members here also own late model bikes in addition to their oldwings?

Do you prefer antique bikes to modern machinery?

Why, is it simply for economic or sentimental reasons? Maybe, simplicity or familiarity?

Post up your opinions, experiences, preferences, and or objections to old or new bikes.

To me new bikes or cars are a waste of money. While the motor may in fact be better they've replaced the troubles with electronic maladies. Besides I like being able to repair and modify as I please. No warranty worries.

When I first started riding street bikes I'd always a big bike, the Goldwing, so it does satisfy alot of sentiment for me.

I've always liked to tinker and can't leave well enough alone so the oldwing satisfies that.

They can be had at a low cost so that's a big bonus to me.

My '83 is the only bike I have but I have 3 oldwing engines lol.

I love the new bikes out there, not just Goldwing, the technology on them is pretty incredible.
If I were to buy new it would probably be a dual sport BMW. Mostly what I'd want is one that bags and trunk could easily be removed for different types of riding. That's always bugged me about my '83 with Honda dress.

Strange thing about the wing's progression, early ones rear drive case for example. Almost decorative lines compared to 1200's smoother case lines, less attention to detail fit & finish on my 1500, compared to the 1200's.Seems quality went to American quality controll type of mentality.

Not limiting it to just bikes... I also do some woodworking when the mood strikes and most of my woodworking tools, both power tool and hand tools are vintage. I just turned 50 and most everything I have is older than I am. The tools and electric motors are more reliable and easier to work on. If something needs to be done, I can look at it and figure it out. New stuff being made today, you need an engineering degree to understand the drawings.

Me, I always like the lines of the oldwings. Open engine, easy to work on, powerful and comfortable when riding.

BUT, the real issue is dollars and cents for me! My wing was given to us free (although not exactly in running condition), but we have still spent nearly $6000 in almost 8 years on the bike doing repairs and modifications. Those things are fun to do plus we get to ride for hours on end. However, if I wanted a new bike with compatible features, I would be spending well over $12,000 minimum to equal my current wing.

I like both :yes:
As much as I would love a new $24k aud wizz bang with all the electronic aids it would be hard to justify that investment not being ridden daily.
I can some how justify MBS when the total cost of the fleet is $10k aud ( if I don't add up too accurately and include the cost to have them all on the road). As much as I love to ride I haven't ridden since my ride 2 weeks ago to Yamba on the Rats Nest. That being said I had the oldest and one of the cheapest bikes on the ride and had a brilliant time. :moped: :clapping: :salute:

oh my ..you ask for it ...LOL...to honest its never a either or with me ...some bikes in both fields are great examples of motorbikes....as is there are bad examples too .....personally keep it simple stupid means a lot to me ... oldwings were anything but that...in my opinion .....my daughter has a suzuki gxr 600 its very good bike also...but it goes down also from chip failures ..and that is a complete no go till you get one mostly...

to me the keep it simple stupid also gets into thing that are high tech like the c5 that is totally independent of any other thing on the motor to work and advance with only one moving part .....in the other field is single carb conversion to get rid of the very fussy and dependent carb system ....a;; this makes for a very reliable bike

so i try to split the middle and have a blend of things going on that pretty much makes my bike a joedrum bike and fits neither category....

This may be the first in 7 years of touring that the Harley softail stays home and the '83 Goldwing gets to go. I love 'em all. I like being able to tear into the wing without the high cost of going to the HD dealer. I like the power and comfort of my HD FXSTC which I find quite nimble and comfortable for the long haul and twisties alike. Sometimes I'm annoyed by the scarcity of parts for the wing, but it gives me an opportunity (forces) to get creative and figure out an alternative route.
Don't get me started on my collection of '78 CB750's, they are a work in progress that started this whole fun mess!

Attachments

• barnbikesmall.jpg
    barnbikesmall.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2816small.jpg
    IMG_2816small.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 420
Yep,
many valid points made, several I share. So come on guys be blunt, funny, controversial I don't care if the mods don't.

truth is ..if i had a brand new bike i would be thinking i can make it better ...i got just way to much time in on making oldwings better ...i couldnt stop im sure ...still thinking about exhaust driven turbo mod ..if i had one it be game on ... :builder: :hihihi:

I like the 1100 wings.
I will not ride any one's bike for fear I would like it too much. Plus I can not afford the price of the new ones.

Now that I was forced to get a valk. I find I do not like it. But it does move real nice. Too top heavy for me. And I do not want to learn how to work on another type of bike.

That is why I purchased another 83 1100. Today I tore off the rad so I can change the timing belts. And I know where all the nuts and bolts go layinhg on the floor.

So I like the vintage bike better.

Really enjoyed both my 1100's, :good: BUT the 1200's such a leap forward over them in all ways except for the 1/4 mile times. :yes: Top end is unbelievable compared to the 1100's, 1500's, or even the 1800's. :hihihi:

I have never given over $500 for a GL1100, that is all I ride now, I have 3,,,,and looking for another. They are cheap enuff I would park it in the Ditch and ride double on the other bike if it ever quits on one of our long trips.......Never left one walking yet.

Understood, my last 1200 standard was all there, in great shape, dealer sold it to me for $900 cash.Have three now, extra parts at a good price are always looked at, often purchased only to go into the extra parts bins, for later use. Really a great feeling when a needed, hard to find, & or expensive part, is in inventory waiting for you.

I had to stop riding between '98 until late august of '07 for health reasons. I ended up with a couple of mustangs, one was an '85 and the other an '86. looks wise identical but under the hood the '85 was carbed and the '86 injected. took a little time to learn the injection but once done it was much easier then dealing with the holley on the '85 simply because there was nothing to do to it, only problem it ever had was a bad tps. while the mighty ST1300 is more modern then either wing I don't think it is something to fear but something to learn even if it is more complex than the wings

This is dependent on your age, eg, I like all older bikes, especially the late 70's and up to the 90's. Been some grate bikes built in those years. Honda's of course, Kwakers even, Suzuki Kettle, all great bike manufacturers. Even as I am British great British bikes too. I could easily spend 300 000,00 pounds on bikes I would dearly like to own and use. Ariel, Square Four, Ariel Huntsman, AJS, Royal Enfield, Triumph and Beeza oh and of course Norton. I could name a few more too. I hate to say this but I have never been a big fan of Harley, Right up until the late 90's they had a bad rep for reliability over here. My old RD250 half race tuned would leave a Harly even today at the traffic light grand prix, may be they could haul me in on the long straight but off the lights they don't have a chance. Never mind an old Kawasaki 750 triple even a Ferrari would have some comp up to say 90 or even a 100 Mph.

So the question new or old I have to go old. Just sooo classic. Street racers no looks at them these days, you almost get one free with every packet of corn flakes, but a Classic is noticed and every one looks. Put a real nice GL1000 next to a 1800 and see who gets the looks. :party:

This one always brings a smile to my face even though it is not a CBR1000 in my opinion.
[video]https://youtu.be/tDIeXqysMUI[/video]

I just love my 83 1100, and I have had other bikes. I commuted to work on this bike for several years, since I live in the Sierra's that meant secondary roads and twisties. For me the 1100 wheel base and height is just perfect and it handles mountain roads perfect for me, I don't ride too fast, nor too slow. Wife doesn't want to ride any more, so infesting in a new bike doesn't make a lot of sense. I find myself now taking two and three day rides with a few of my friends; most of them have newer bikes, and many are Harley guys and I do get teased about the age of my ride but the old girl always seems to get me home.

I asked one of them a while back what they paid for their bike, then I said, "gee and it only has two cyclinders", that went over real well.

Latest posts