Just a conversation starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169830#p169830:12sqldjp said:
Ansimp » Yesterday, 6:09 pm[/url]":12sqldjp]
This one always brings a smile to my face even though it is not a CBR1000 in my opinion.
[video]https://youtu.be/tDIeXqysMUI[/video]
I think the link is broke?

Well I own new & old. One is the Wing the other isn't. They are completely different machines. I find I have a sentimental attachment for the wing, I guess from owning 30 years & all the adventures from that amount of time. So in 30 years I'll let you know on the other, if I'm still around :)

Still showing as black square with 'phpBB[video]" in the lower right corner. If you click on that it takes you to https://phpbbex.com/ & I get waiting for (long pause & the site finely opens) with a long list of videos I presume. I say presume because I don't recognize the language.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169864#p169864:oay1amrq said:
julimike54 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 pm[/url]":eek:ay1amrq]
That is funny, I've seen that b4 & forgot about it.

Randy put it up ages ago but that link disappeared also :doh:

that my European brother caveman ...this video brings a lot of truth to the table ...instant 70 hp ...against 160hp that has to get to 12000 rpm to start getting there gets stomped ...down low in rpm the 160hp bike is producing nothing to match the 70hp instant rat bike ..

ive been riding with harleys all week ...bike week here there was one that was a challenge to hooch down low in rpm ...hooch is a instant bike ...so was his ...pump up harley in the same fashion as hooch ....so down low in rpm in fifth gear he could pull me some in roll on power ...actually it was more like who ever went first could could keep it and it was challenge to stay right there with either of us going first ....usually hooch can just overtake someone early start .......harley 2 cylinders ..huge pistons and a quite low weight set to motor dose produce huge power over a oldwing boxer motor that 4cylinders smaller pistons and swinging a second dead cylinder at the moment of firing make more load for smaller piston to began with ....but harleys cant maintain past a certain rpm as there set up becomes very ubalance at higher rpm ..where as a olwing like hooch starts to really come on ....also the work ive done to hooch brings harley like low end torque to the table also and dose better down low than almost all harleys but there are some that are like hildo rat bike that are mean off the line ...they weigh nothing and flat out get on it off the line ....hooch is quite low in weight also and instant and when it get up in rpm it gets momentum from the extra weight is has on the small pistons x four and flat ass get going to the point that when sfifting gears in the sweet spot it jumps hard and this is what makes the hooch bike ...i have no idea what hp reading might be ..but as this vid shows it means nothing to a street race at all ....caveman tech is hard to beat ...with promotional bs specs and numbers game

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169830#p169830:2ycecgdf said:
Ansimp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:09 am[/url]":2ycecgdf]
This one always brings a smile to my face even though it is not a CBR1000 in my opinion.
[video]https://youtu.be/tDIeXqysMUI[/video]

That is in Holland. somwhere. :clapping:

Ok,
It looks like the regulars have had their say and this thread that was fairly predictable has started to wane.

So, I too have my own opinion and it is as follows:

I think almost everyone has an sentimental value in things or vehicles they had or wanted when they were in their prime.
I have the same thing over classic cars. I know they don't do hardly anything nearly as well or reliably as modern ones but I still hold them in high regard.
And there's a certain sort of satisfaction that comes from being able to repair and tune on a vehicle hands on that has been all but lost with more modern ones.
I actually appreciate both but favor the technical advances of the new stuff more.
Both have their own set of advantages and deficiences but I tend to favor the modern.
I know that on this forum dedicated to antique or classic motorcycles I would land in the minority.

My affinity for cutting edge technology is not limited to motorcycles, it is for sports, electronics, autos, bikes and so on it goes.

Understood, :yes: for me the ability to buy the flagship, the best at that time, for such a small price. I can afford to have a fleet for less than the price of one new one. :yahoo:

I too appreciate both the old and new, finances being what they are, I lean towards the older as that is what I can afford, money aside, I'd probably have a mixture of old and new but more prevalent on the older stuff. There is something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment after breathing life back into an older vehicle.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169900#p169900:1zn6uqkp said:
Denver » 9 minutes ago[/url]":1zn6uqkp]
Understood, :yes: for me the ability to buy the flagship, the best at that time, for such a small price. I can afford to have a fleet for less than the price of one new one. :yahoo:

That is a completely valid position to have, these bikes are very cheap to own and insure by comparison.

But even though the market value is minimal on these classic machines, the enjoyment level of their ownership remains quite high.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169901#p169901:1cnj3w9d said:
rob.lafady » 5 minutes ago[/url]":1cnj3w9d]
There is something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment after breathing life back into an older vehicle.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Totally, I get that and agree whole heartedly.

well all i can say is ..the modern stuff is way over hyped as is there cost ...and a smart hands person can expose this rather easy ...if i really had a budget i could really prove the point ...even the modern stuff is late acting tech ...if you have to sense it first before doing it ...its already late ...basic tech works instantly ...only problem basic tech has is operator error in set up .....and engineered junk parts that dont adjust ...you dont have to be to smart to see the carb was rendered useless before high tech even completed with it ...so it was just a mandated happening ...not a true comparison not even close to one ..it was fixed from the get go ...like a riged election ...thats going on right now ...stealing trump votes to create a broker convention instead of a peoples choice convention ...the high tech switch was in the same pattern of being rigged from the get go....the hooch bike is an example of what a oldwing be instead of what it was ....my bike is right there with anything made today ...i know a lot dont believe ...but thats not my problem ...as i get to ride the truth ...and thats good enough for me

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169907#p169907:1dkk2gg5 said:
joedrum » Today, 8:58 am[/url]":1dkk2gg5]
that my point 30 yrs of cars that couldnt be adjusted certainly cause huge problems on purpose
Joe, I agree with you on a lot of things but sure not on this one.

Look, the cars pre-emissions control blew A LOT of crap out the tail pipe. I grew up with this and know first hand what affect it had on the air we breath here in L.A.
Almost every day we had 1'st to 3rd stage smog alerts. In school there was no PE because of it. Today these alerts are a thing of the past and the number of cars on the road have probably doubled at least!
If you want to see what it was like here, visit Tijuana or Ensenada where they have no restrictions and choke on it for a few days. I bet you'll change your tune.

The cars my Dad had were not junk and even in their best tune, they blew out 100 times more emissions than cars today. Those were carbed cars with points ignition and not 1 smog control on it.
How can you say this was done to "cause huge problems on purpose"?
I just think you have an agenda against anything you can't modify yourself or anything you can't afford like a new car or bike.

Not arguing either side here. But way back when manufacturers weren't all that concerned with exhaust emissions so virtually no effort was made to improve ignition or carburetion. If it ran reliably it was good enough. Had they spent the time modifying their carbs as Joe has their fuel charge would have been both leaner and more potent. Had they made ignitions on par with the current C5 exhaust would have been much cleaner. I think it's very possible Hooch could now pass an emissions test. It seems most of the real advances in technology has come from a private garage more often than from manufacturers research and development.

Latest posts