My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of posts to get caught up...

I bought this bike and it was missing a right side cover. I was really hoping that the PO could find it, but no luck, so I had to dig into my stash of spare parts and pull this one out.

image.php

The emblems even matched! :shock:

image.php

image.php

You can see where this was painted using the spray and pray method because nothing was sanded or taped off. But hey, it was black.

Gerry mentioned Color Rite sells the OEM paint so I gave them a look for some Pearly Beige to match the rest of the bike. I think at $34 a can of spray paint they should change the name of Pearly Beige to gold, but it was worth it in the end.

image.php

Then I just needed to chuck up my brass wire brush in my drill press and take care of the emblems.

image.php

image.php

That'll do.

Another project that has been waiting in the wings has been the seat. A few years ago, I redid the seat on the 81. https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9455

Well, when I bought this bike and took one look at the seat, that was my plan all along.

image.php

Saddlemen makes a pretty good product. Installation was just like it was for the 1100 seat. Oh, and I can actually use the adjustable feature on this seat because it is intact.

image.php

image.php

So, the only thing I have left to do is replace the stock hand grips with something a little more to my liking, and they should be here tomorrow.

Brian - you and mcgovern should get together and do a project together. You and he do a great job of bringing these older GWs back to life. Great job on the bike and so much for the $500.00 and part out the bike buy. Enjoyed your thread immensely.

Cheers

Geesh! Some people have no patience! :smilie_happy:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

I'll be honest, the setting sun makes this bike look a lot better than it really is, but it sure has come a long way!

Wow! That looks as plush and inviting as my old coupe deville did! Excellent work Brian. I just spent four hours polishing my valk and it still doesn't look as clean as your bike! Momma's gonna love riding with you more than ever now. :BigGrin:

Oh man, nothing more unnerving than a sweetie who dozes. For me, it starts with a few taps of the helmet. One is common. Two starts to get my attention. But when I get three good helmet bumps in fairly rapid succession, I start squeezing legs and/or looking for place to pull over for a chat.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190626#p190626:1nargt0t said:
mcgovern61 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 am[/url]":1nargt0t]
Really looking nice Brian! :yes: :good:

Color Rite sells the OEM paint

Did the color match? Did you use the clear coat too?

I think it is a pretty close match. I didn't use Color Rite's clear coat only because I thought their price - $17 for one can, in addition to the $34 for a can of color just seemed like, well ridiculous, so I used a can of clear that I already had.

I can see a slight difference in the color but I am not sure if it is because of the red primer under the paint, the age of the paint around it, or the lack of the pin stripe on the side panel. This picture shows it as a dead-on match.

image.php

That being said, I will probably be buying another can of color from them to repaint the lids for the saddlebags. There are some deep scratches in the paint from where the lids were constantly rubbed the arm rest brackets when removed/installed. For those, I am going to use gray primer and see if I can tell a difference, but that is for another time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190625#p190625:265wcs5p said:
PurpleGL1200I » Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 am[/url]":265wcs5p]
Perhaps a passenger seat belt is needed.

I have another solution... quick accelerations and at times exceeding that speed limit. That gets the "intercom" system ( :Doh2: ) to work pretty well and keeps her awake. :smilie_happy:

Great looking ride - well done. I mentioned arm rest before. Mine mount differently from what came on your bike. Here is a picture of the type I have - mounts using the saddlebag/rear trunk bracket - misses the saddlebag top.
1200 arm rest.jpeg
Foot boards for the passenger are good as well. I have these on my '85 LTD.
1200 foot board.JPG

When I had the seat done for Sonya and myself, Rich mentioned that Sonya's legs were hitting the saddlebag top and it would be better if the footboard had a riser of some sort. I fashioned a plywood riser that raised her feet 3 inches to a more natural position and off the saddlebag tops. Has made a difference in her ride enjoyment. Thought I had pictures, will take some and post.

Again, great job.

Cheers

The bike came with a pair of 1100 floorboards, but those aren't working for me. I have a pair on my 84 Standard that will eventually be moved over to the 87, but for now the foot pegs will work. I don't plan on putting her on the back of this one until I get a few hundred miles on it to make sure everything is working fine. After a few miles last night, I realized that the rear shocks probably could use a little more oil in them, so I'll be checking that out before I go two-up as well.

Latest posts