My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190190#p190190:1rgdhemd said:
Rednaxs60 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:00 pm[/url]":1rgdhemd]
Great job. She'll enjoy riding it. Maybe a set of arm rests for the lady.

A set came with the bike, but they need a bit more work before they are ready to be put back on. If the scratches in the top of the saddlebag lids are any indication of what they can do, I am not sure I want them on.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190197#p190197:27k68e07 said:
desertrefugee » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 pm[/url]":27k68e07]
Seriously nice result. To be truthful, it's bringing back fond memories of my recently departed '84 Aspencade. They sure were a statement from Honda. A true flagship ride.

That has a lot to do with why I decided to put this one back on the road and take the motor out of my 81 to put into the 84. The 81 is a great bike, but the extra leg room the 1200 gives me makes all the difference.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190205#p190205:30d2v34n said:
brianinpa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 pm[/url]":30d2v34n]
That has a lot to do with why I decided to put this one back on the road and take the motor out of my 81 to put into the 84. The 81 is a great bike, but the extra leg room the 1200 gives me makes all the difference.

FYI.....I still have an '81 Standard for sale if you get the hankering for another '81......they are contagious! :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

I am going to be installing a stereo, some driving lights, a charging port, and connecting a volt meter so I am looking for a power source that is always one (which I will most likely pull from the battery) and one that comes on with the accessory position of the ignition.

In the lefts side of the fairing there are a couple of fuses... what are they for? I suspect they are for the Honda stereo system, but I haven't found anything to confirm that suspicion yet.

Here's what I did on my '84. Genuine Honda (marine). I don't recall the source points right off hand, but both were switched. I believe it was probably the AUX circuit in the main fuse panel. Put it in right after I did the Poorboy conversion. Did the power port at the same time...

<<EDIT: Why would you want an "always on" circuit driving the voltmeter? I'm assuming that at least that one would be switched - or should be.>>
IMG_0385.JPG

The always on circuit is needed for the stereos memory.

I have an SEI pocket on the left side where the radio controls go, so my volt meter is on the right side. I had a meter from an 1100 interstate hanging around and it fit in nicely.

After some poking and prodding I think I found my answer. The 3 amp fuse in the fairing as for the clock and it is constantly powered and the 10 amp fuse is also for the clock but it is switched. At least that's what I get from reading the wiring schematic. Since I do not have the OEM clock I think I found my power sources.

I guess I did something right...

I got the radio installed and it works. I have the fan wired to a switch and it also works now, but it didn't. I saw 190 degrees at the thermostat and the temp gauge was working, but the fan never came on, so now it will come on when I want it to until I drain the anti-freeze again. Then to top everything off, I even got the volt meter installed and wired correctly... it even has a light :shock:

image.php

My list is getting shorter and shorter. Biggest things on that list, I need to change the differential gear oil because I forgot to do it earlier, I need to install the trailer wiring harness, and lastly paint the right side cover. Flat black just doesn't match the rest of the bike.

My backrest doesn't look too bad...

image.php

Until you look at the top!

image.php

I started looking at my options. I looked at my rider's backrest for my 81, but it is too small. Then I looked at my 1100 trunk backrest.

image.php

It's too small and has too many studs sticking out the back, but this is where I got an idea...

image.php

Something tells me the pop rivet isn't stock, so why not replace the cover myself. All I needed to do was remove a bunch of staples

image.php

...take the torn cover off, stretch out some new vinyl and sink another bunch of staples back into the backrest.

image.php

I am not one to brag, but so far so good

image.php

... but something was missing. I went to the store and bought some buttons to add to it. To do this, I needed a huge needle

image.php

... that I had to stick through my new backrest :shock:

image.php

In the end, I think it was worth it. I have been seeing these backrests on eBay for a minimum of $50.00 and most of those are torn. I am going to keep looking, but for now, I have something on the Rust Bucket that doesn't look to bad. What did it cost me? Less than $25.00. And I have enough vinyl remaining to recover the arm rests.

image.php

Latest posts