Need help deciding on what 1 barrel carb to buy.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donniebnd

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL 1000
1999 GL 1500
I picked up a 1978 GL 1000 a few weeks ago, that's been setting for who knows how many years. I bought the intake for a single 1 barrel carb and after reading several post on all kinds of issues, mainly idling issues I'm not sure which one to buy along with what jet's to swap to. I live in Southeast Missouri and I'm building this bike for my oldest son. Any and all expert advice will be apricated.
Thank you Donnie.

The one barrel carbs and jetting and stuff ..I don't know much about ..my carb is a 2 barrel carb ..there are some here that may be able to help you better ..good luck
Thank you,
If I ever decided to go with a 2 barrel would I be able to use the intake I have? Do they make an adapter to put a 2 barrel on a single barrel intake? What 2 barrel are you running on your and are you pleased with it?

I have the 34-3 Chinese carburetor, running a 40 Idle Jet and a 140 Main Jet, and the choke disabled. I adjusted the idle using the fast idle screw (which is a no-no, but it works with my set up). It's on a '75 GL1000.

I spent years messing around with single carbs and different manifold setups on my 78 GL1000. I never could get one to idle under 1500-2000 rpm.

I tried 1 barrel Chinese 34-3 and Solex 34-3. Also 2 barrel Weber, Carter and others.

Finally, I got tired of not riding and bought a rebuildable stock set, paid to have it done by Pistol Pete's son Mark, and have been happily riding ever since. I may decide to play with it again someday, but for now I'll leave the single carb to the Sportster.

I spent years messing around with single carbs and different manifold setups on my 78 GL1000. I never could get one to idle under 1500-2000 rpm.

I tried 1 barrel Chinese 34-3 and Solex 34-3. Also 2 barrel Weber, Carter and others.

Finally, I got tired of not riding and bought a rebuildable stock set, paid to have it done by Pistol Pete's son Mark, and have been happily riding ever since. I may decide to play with it again someday, but for now I'll leave the single carb to the Sportster.
I have a stock setup but I was hoping the single carb would be less hassle

What is an average cost to have a rebuildable set done by Mark?

You'll need to check with him. I had mine done a few years ago for $350 + shipping. If/when they need it again, I'll probably do it myself. I just wanted a pro to go over that set and make sure they were good to rebuild.

You'll need to check with him. I had mine done a few years ago for $350 + shipping. If/when they need it again, I'll probably do it myself. I just wanted a pro to go over that set and make sure they were good to rebuild.
How do I find him?

Thank you,
If I ever decided to go with a 2 barrel would I be able to use the intake I have? Do they make an adapter to put a 2 barrel on a single barrel intake? What 2 barrel are you running on your and are you pleased with it?
I am very pleased with my set up ...but my motor is far from stock setup ..to where stock 4 carb Honda set up stood no chance of working ....and as I posted I had to mod the idle set up to work ...most people who use car carbs usually get worse mpg than stock carbs can do if right ...bit a few like me get thete set up to beat the stock carbs mpg ....

I'm trying a h30/31 right now. Seems to start right up, revs good to redline, but it idles for just a second around 1000 rpm then just dies. Pump the throttle a couple times fires right up but again dies. After warmed up say a short ride it idles a bit longer but still dies like it runs out of fuel. If I keep it reved up to just under 2k rpm to still dies out but any thing over 2k it continues to run. Pulls smooth and well all the way to red line, now if I can just get it to idle without dying. What do you suggest. Main is a 140, idle is a 60 and power jet a 65. Choke wide open.

The H30/31 is a Solex carb not a Weber, the jetting will not be the same. Try looking down the throat of the carb with the air cleaner off and running. When it dies, is it wet above the butterfly? If so, it is way too fat/rich. I'm not familiar with a Power Jet in a Solex carburetor? Try a 127 main and a 40 idle jet.

Finally got the 30 pict carb lined out and running nice. Idles at 800 smoothly and pulls strong through all the gears. After setting for around 48 hrs, I pumped the throttle twice, hit the starter and instant idle at 800 with a big cam sound, after it warms up it idles very smooth. Ended up with a 140 main and a 70 idle, the power jet I left alone. I'll fine tune it later as she seems a little rich but dang she sure runs great. No choke and gutted the anti diesel scynolid.