Neutral switch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Reaction score
I recently bought a 83 GL1100 interstate needing a lot of work to bring it back. It has the 83 frame and everything but the engine has been replaced with an older 1100 that has the neutral switch with a single wire on the lower right front corner of the engine. The 83 electrical harness uses a different circuit and a two wire neutral switch. Does anyone have any ideas or the easiest way to get my neutral light to work

The '83 plug activates a overdrive light in the tach and the neutral light.

What you need to do is touch each wire to ground to see which is the neutral light and connect that one to the single wire from the engine and disregard the other one going to the overdrive light.

According to my schematic, the neutral light circuit uses a brown/green wire, and the green/orange wire is for the OD light. The switch is grounded, so you need to get the brown/green wire attached to the center screw on the switch. The 2 wires should be in a single connector at the right front of the frame.

This gives me hope that my neutral switch problem is not as dire as I thought. My green light is onat all times except when the clutch is squeezed. When the clutch is squeezed, the green light goes out... Oh and is goes out in 5th gear. It's like the anti-neutral switch.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84942#p84942:19qyk5bz said:
TychoRVT » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:36 pm[/url]":19qyk5bz]This gives me hope that my neutral switch problem is not as dire as I thought. My green light is onat all times except when the clutch is squeezed. When the clutch is squeezed, the green light goes out... Oh and is goes out in 5th gear. It's like the anti-neutral switch.
Sounds like the diode is shorted.