New Member with an old Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello. Thought I would jump right in and maybe introduce myself a little. I’m recently retired, live in Winston Salem, NC and just purchased a “Barn find” 77 Wing. I actually worked for Honda in the mid/late 70’s and rode/serviced these fine motorcycles when they were new. I always wanted one, but I wanted to restore one, so when I found this puppy on Craigslist a few weeks ago, I just had to have it. It’s a TRUE barn find, as it was sitting in a horse stable, and it’s been at least 20 years since it was ridden. It’s pretty much complete, pretty much all there, and pretty much stock. It’s also pretty rough, so this is going to be a LONG process. I’ve restored some other bikes in the past, and will try to post some pictures. Bear with me, I’m NOT a computer weenie. Looking forward to hanging out with fellow Wing Nuts...
Chris
I don’t know why my Gold Wing picture keeps posting upside down, but I can’t seem to fix it... (Fixed DF)

The Wing
image.php

CB 450
image.php

CB 750
image.php

Hodaka Super Combat
image.php

Yamaha 175
image.php

Yamaha TX 750
image.php

Fixed it for you. My first 'wing was a '77 that I bought from a preacher East of Hickory in 2004. Just needed a little cleaning, fork seals, and TLC. Ended up I could not stand the high bars they put on them (or any GL1000 bars). If you find the same, Euro or Superbike bars make them much more comfortable.

77wing.jpg

Welcome, WM! Yeah, the pictures post upside down because your 'wing is in 'Aussie Mode'... :smilie_happy:

Fortunately, it's still on the center-stand and upside down, which is better than being on the handlebars and upside-down... :mrgreen:

Welcome :hi: :hi: :hi:
Is that a 80 750 Custom ? I have the exact same bike in my garage, unfortunately I gave it to my son and he wrecked it and I am in the long process of putting it back together/ forks, triple tree . I am understanding that they only made that sytle front end for that one year ????

Thanks, guys, for the hellos and welcomes. I’m sure I will be tapping into y’all’s wealth of knowledge for the next couple of years. I already have a couple of questions but haven’t had time to ask them yet. I too am not a fan of the mini apes and will definitely be changing those. I want to make the bike as close to showroom as I can, but I also intend to ride it and will make minor changes to suit my taste. I lowered the bars on the CB450 also. And yes, that is indeed a 1980 CB750 Custom. I purchased that bike to fix it and sell it but when I got it done I made the mistake of letting my wife ride it. She fell in love with it and ended up keeping it for several years. Then, I made the mistake of letting her ride my BMW and well, you can guess where that ended up. Anyway, thanks for the welcomes and I will try no to wear it out with my questions.
Just for kicks, I’m gonna throw in a couple of pictures of my 4 wheel project here. I KNOW motorcycle guys, and I’m fairly sure you’ll like it.
Chris

Attachments

• 051D6940-1F17-44FB-9D5F-1889A832B6BF.jpeg
    051D6940-1F17-44FB-9D5F-1889A832B6BF.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 355AFFFB-BCFC-4221-B4CE-FE4E93FC467B.jpeg
    355AFFFB-BCFC-4221-B4CE-FE4E93FC467B.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 128
Yeah, that's a pretty sweet garage. Oh, and nice bikes ( and the ford, don't want any of them to feel left out)
Welcome, we have lots of answers. Some of them will even go with your questions. You do some really nice restoration work. Do you do your own paint?

No, I have a painter that does my paint work. I, of course, do the frames and smaller parts but I have a pro do the heavy lifting. Actually, I’m hoping to run him the “tins” off the Wing later this week. I’ve decided to change it to Candy Blue Green. I tend to change paintwork to suit my taste rather than worry about keeping it original. The CB450 was originally that fugly green/brown combination they had in 74, and the Yamaha 175 was originally blue with a high fender in front. I had it done in an earlier style and put an earlier front fender on it. The owner of the bike asked for the rims to be black, so that’s what he got. I’m not a huge fan of black wheels myself, but I did that bike for a friend so he could have whatever he wanted. That bike actually came to me in boxes. He had dropped it off to have it restored at a shop in PA and all they did was disassemble it, sell some of the parts off of it, and let it sit for ten years. He eventually retrieved it and brought it to me.
Oh, and that’s not a Ford! (Although I do like fords too) It’s a 66 Plymouth Belvedere II
Thanks again for the compliments on my restorations. I have more, but will post them in my photo gallery later.
Chris

Cool project-toys, WM!

Okay, first thing... park that 'wing out in the driveway, and give it a thorough visit with the pressure-washer... let it dry off, and then take some more pictures of it from all angles. Let's see what she REALLY looks like under the dirt!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216933#p216933:3r5ganhi said:
Workinman » Today, 5:04 am[/url]":3r5ganhi]
Okay... it’s not dried off, but here she is after a visit with the pressure washer.

This upside down picture thing is getting crazy! I gotta figure this thing out...
file.php

file.php

:smilie_happy: That's some incredibly strong glue you got on the bottom'a that center-stand!

Great first step- now you can see what's in there. Once 'ya get the bodywork away, there'll be more...
So what's the rest of the condition otherwise? Does it run, if so, how well? Shift? brakes?

Latest posts