New old guy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl43P

Reaction score
IMG00002-20111113-1341.jpg

Picked this up last month, up in VA, cheap. 33k miles

Nasty gas tank, chocolate milk oil, 68 miles put on it since the 2007 title transfer.
Guy I bought it from found it sitting in a barn, bought it a battery and some filters, then he took sick.

Removed all the tins/plastic and hit them with some Rustoluem gloss black.

Made it run , briefly, after letting the carbs fill up with Seafoam and soak a few days.
Fired right up after I drained that out and temp-plumbed a fuel supply.

Didn't expect much, but it did idle. Revved it a few times to 2+k, shut it down.

A fellow hobby mech is checking the carbs and will let me know what parts they needs beyond bowl seals.
He is quite familiar with them and I'm tickled to let him have at it.

I did pull the heads the other day and prepped them for new gaskets.
Still need to check out the valvetrains.
Water pump cavity had no oil in it, but I'm pretty certain the oil pump area had a bad seal allowing the coolant to mix with the oil.
It'll get all new seals and o-rings, debating on a new water pump. This one looks pristine and feels tight. 68 miles new, tight.

Lots to do, learning as I go. I have a Clymer manual, internet in the garage and a bit of common sense.
Hoping to finish it up for Spring. Haven't had or ridden a motorcycle since 92.
Looking forward to racking up some miles.

I'll post more pictures if it'll get my post count up enough to view forum pictures and videos. :rant:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Earl43P!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's the way to do it. Pick one up cheap and make it worth something with sweat equity. Wait until you see the technical resources this sight has. There isn't anything that you can't find out how to do. Welcome.

slabghost":1coo7w8k said:
BTW If you'd replied to all the welcome posts you'd be past your 5 posts by now.

Good point!

I find time to wrench and dote on my wife, so internet takes a back seat.

Appreciate the warm welcomes.

Earl43P":1ex47p8m said:
slabghost":1ex47p8m said:
BTW If you'd replied to all the welcome posts you'd be past your 5 posts by now.

Good point!

I find time to wrench and dote on my wife, so internet takes a back seat.

Appreciate the warm welcomes.

There ya go Earl :clapping:

This is somewhat a give to get community as you can judge by the 12+ welcomes by other members of the forums.

My wife went north for her Mom's 90th birthday, staying through New Years.
No shortage of garage time, after work.
Reminds me, I forgot to eat tonight.

Lockin' up the garage!

Latest posts