New Tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the 404's front and back and I love them. The bike handles remarkably well. Of course the new progressive front end probably didn't hurt it either...

big andrew what going on with the tyres and bearing job its been awhile and im concerned about it

and what happened to instuctopilot i thought he was going to help

we need to hear from you guys

havnt gotten around to doing it, Still have to get that special greese for the drive shaft, I keep forgetting what kind i need
Also im not sure about if i have to pack the bearings in greese or not
Im thinking about seeing what this one motorcycle shop will charge to change the tires and bearings if i bring them the bike and let them do it

The store i bought my tires from will only change them if you bring them the rims, The wont take them off the bike, They charge $23 a tire so if its not more then $70 at this other shop to do both then i think im gonna let them do the job, i got so many other projects i need to do and i really dont want to deal with the headache

when I bought my tires.. the shop would mount free.. balancing was $25 each.. buut the tires were late so that was free!!! but I had to bring in the rims.. I didn't mind doing that.. but I am not getting younger and the downs and ups required to do these really kicked my butt!! I am quite frugle and do not want to spend more then I have to spend on anything!!

BigAndrew":1df3ebdu said:
Still have to get that special greese for the drive shaft, I keep forgetting what kind i need

It's Moly 60. A Honda dealer should have it if the shop doing the tires don't.

And it's the wheel hub splines to final drive that should have Moly 60.

dan filipi":3cze9kfu said:
BigAndrew":3cze9kfu said:
Still have to get that special greese for the drive shaft, I keep forgetting what kind i need

Thanks Alot Dan, You Rock :music:

BigAndrew":35e6jtf6 said:
dan filipi":35e6jtf6 said:
BigAndrew":35e6jtf6 said:

Thanks Alot Dan, You Rock :music:

It's sold by weight, not by volume. I paid $10.25 for a tube that was about 1/3 full. It ended up being about 2-3 fluid ounces. Also, the stuff's a bear to get off your hands, so rubber up!

tumunga":jakqudok said:
It's sold by weight, not by volume. I paid $10.25 for a tube that was about 1/3 full. It ended up being about 2-3 fluid ounces. Also, the stuff's a bear to get off your hands, so rubber up!

That's about what I paid, spensive stuff.

Be carefull going wider on the rear,I know on the 83s there is very little room to experament.
Had a freind who put the right size,but wrong load carrying tire on back of his 83 and rub the sidewall on the right side everytime his little wife road with him.Not a lot,just a scuff every so often,but enough he needed to replace the tire do to wearing out the sidewall faster then the tread.

I dont know if the older 1100s had more room,I thought maybe the 80-81s did.

the tire i have on it now rubs when its half flat so its gonna be close, I'll just have to keep the tire topped off

Most of the work changing a tire is taking it off the bike. Get a couple of tire spoons and change it yourself. Then pour in a couple ounces of Dyna-Beads and your back on the road.

I paid a shop to change the tires and bearing and boy... WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
The bike likes to lean very easy side to side, Feels like its 200 pounds lighter when im leaning at slow and high speeds

Before when i would make a slow sharp to semi sharp turn there was alot of weight being pressed back on the handle bars, Specially when i would go down this spiral exit in the parking garage at the airport, It was a left hand turn constantly down 4 floors so i would have to press pretty hard on the left handle bar to keep it from turning the handle bar all the way in

And now it takes 1/4 of the effort, I think part of the reason was my old front tire had very bad ware spots from me riding it with the front tire too low for a long time, And another reason is that the new tire is a size wider and 2 size smaller profile ratio and also is a radial instead of bias ply

yeah when i put the radial on there was the same thing huge difference and the bike seem a lot lighter ...i would be careful for a while ... im glad this is working out !!!!!!!!!!

Ive been very care... Seems like it would be alot easier to drop it

My bike isnt drifting as much as it was with the old tire, Whats causing it to drift to the left? Worn Steering head bearings or what ever they call em?

there could be alot of reasons for drifting linement or tracking front wheel to bck wheel ,steering head play,front forks seals ,fork oil ,springs the forks themselves

but id say its proably tracking,...if it drifts to the left and you moved the swingarm left it sould bring it back to strait... this not an easy thing to do... it takes knowing how to mess with the swingarm and a special tool to loosen swing arm on a 1100..... if you did get it loose and ready to adjust you would move it very little just a touch makes alot of difference

i had to do this when i swooped swing arms last yr

Latest posts