New Tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe this one
Avon
AV71 Cobra Front Tire

Ooops... Forgot to look up to see if any of these tires are radials or not
(Just checked, Looks like this one is Radial)
Cobra AV71
size 130/70R18
load/spd index 63H
rec rim (in) MT3.50
alt rim (in) min/max 3.50 - 4.00
width (mm) 128
width (in) 5.0
dia (mm) 647
dia (in) 25.5
depth 4.7

Danggit... Now im thinkin bout getting the Avon radial instead of the Dunlop E3 Radial, The Avon looks like it will handle in the rain much better
Heres whats odd, The recommended E3 bias tire (120/90) is 4.70 wide and the E3 radial (130/70) is 6.16 wide and the Avon (130/70) is only 5 inches wide, Im supprised that the Avon for being a size wider then stock is only .3 of an inch wider while the E3 is 1.46 inches wider Hmmm....

Attachments

• 0000_Avon_AV71_Cobra_Front_Tire_--.jpg
    0000_Avon_AV71_Cobra_Front_Tire_--.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 117
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet...if so, forgive the repeat. :blush:
It's not a good idea to mix a radial tire with a bias tire on any vehicle, since the operating characteristics are different. The radials have more sidewall flex than a bias tire, so the radial will move around a bit more on turns/curves, and could create an unstable attitude. Just a little warning...from a little experience. ;)
That being said, I did install a Michelin Radial on the rear of my old 750A years ago, and I can say it was prolly the best riding tire that bike had ever had, and it had good wear properties. The only downside was it was absolutely the biggest pita tire I've ever installed on anything. :sensored: Normally, a tire change only takes a few minutes for me....that friggin Mich took me almost two hours to get mounted. The dang thing was just too stiff in the beads to get it to "walk" around the rim. Once it was on, it was definitely worth the effort. There was some added twitchiness in hard cornering at high speeds, but it never got loose on me. Looking back, I'm sure it was simply a matter of someone watching over me.... :blush:

apple right trying to mont a radial on by hand is :sensored: :sensored: :Awe: pain in the butt. apple right again that mixing bias and radial might be bad im not saying its ok when i did it i was very careful for just thoose reasons. like apple said itseems that its worked out great on my bike but im not a push it to limit rider so what apple said about hard cornering is someting to consider. maybe if you and instuctorpilot get together he might be a big input. with all the bikes hes got

I ordered a set of Avon radials for the front and rear, One size wider on both, They're the best lookin rain tires i could find
Front
Avon Front.jpg

Rear
Avon Rear.jpg

nice looking tyres big andrew i cant wait to hear your opinion on this. im realy in the same boat ive got to get tyres before a trip to fla soon. just down the road from you in chuluota fla

joedrum":1gnfx56j said:
nice looking tyres big andrew i cant wait to hear your opinion on this. im realy in the same boat ive got to get tyres before a trip to fla soon. just down the road from you in chuluota fla

Yeah I'll let you guys know once there on, Thats only a 35 minute ride from me if i take the highway :salute:

I had the guy call the factory to see what the weight rating is for the rear and its only 600lbs
Its a sport touring tire so its ment for a lighter bike

dan filipi":1snlerhc said:
The whole bike is under 800 so I dont see this as a problem or am I missing something?

Well I weigh 315 :shock: :eek: :? So with me added to the weight of the bike its right at 1100 pounds with right at 600 on the rear tire :|
Which doesnt bother me too much except that tires wear out quicker when you ride on them at their maximum weight capacity

Interested to see how these tires work-out for you. Just bought an 82 1100 interstate and need to order some tires asap. I really like the looks of the wider tires, but I don't want to sacrifice control. Let us know how they handle for you.

lor109":t90164qs said:
Interested to see how these tires work-out for you. Just bought an 82 1100 interstate and need to order some tires asap. I really like the looks of the wider tires, but I don't want to sacrifice control. Let us know how they handle for you.

Welcome to the site lor109, I'll probably be picking up the tires today from the shop, Hopefully they arrived, I dont think control will be an issue since their radial tires, Radials sidewalls flex more for better handling Most people end up runnin bias tires since there cheaper and more common
The radial arnt cheap 170 for the front and 160 for the rear, Could of got cheaper ones but i wanted good rain tires

I hope it will be a fair enough test. A lot of guys say great things about new tires but they've been running on old tires for a long time. It stands to reason ANY new tire would be a huge improvement compared to old and worn.
Same with every car I've owned. After new tires it would feel like a different car, quieter and smoother.
Still I'm anxious to hear how they perform.

were starting to grt quite a few members from indiana welcome lor109 im down near french lick in. looks like your bike is a nice bobber post some pics id like to see more. there are qiite a few members near you we might need to colaberate a day of riding to get to know each other when the weather warms

Yea I was gonna ask the same thing, The bike in your avatar pic looks pretty bad ass, I'd love to see pics :mrgreen:

I just picked up my new tires, Turns out the guy was misinformed, The front tire weight limit is 600lbs and the rear is 761 :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

BigAndrew":l7st9h0k said:
Yea I was gonna ask the same thing, The bike in your avatar pic looks pretty bad ass, I'd love to see pics :mrgreen:

I just picked up my new tires, Turns out the guy was misinformed, The front tire weight limit is 600lbs and the rear is 761 :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You be stylin then!

When do they go on?

dan filipi":pbbrgwkk said:
You be stylin then!

When do they go on?

Well... First i would like to order some wheel bearings, Since im takin off the tires i might as well replace them, Is there a brand you would recommend? Im not lookin for the cheapest