newbie from northeast indiana

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswag5

Reaction score
just bought an 81 gl1100, it has aftermarket vetter fairing and bags, but i want to add lights, LOTS of lights.

anyone know of an alternator mod for this that would help with the extra current draw?

:salute: Welcome from Sunny Orlando, Florida

Dan has done an alternator mod, Im sure he'll be happy to tall you about it :mrgreen:

Welcome to the CGW forums, jswag5!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Check out the forum on the Alternator Conversion!! There is actually a complete separate forum for the alternator conversion topics, so be sure to check out all of the different threads there. :good:

Welcome from California.

Take a look here how I did mine. The brackets can be done other ways but the radiator has to move forward some no matter what.
It's not a simple job. Take a look in the forum AApple linked to.

Hello and welcome from upstate ny.really like to see what your going to do in the lights departmen.as you can see i like lights to

definately gunna add some hi output driving lights on the front, added them to the police chopper and love the extra night visability, also i want lots of lights out back so i dont get ran over from behind.

i ride my bikes everywhere, day night rain or shine, cold or hot. the only times you will catch me in a car or truck is when theres ice or snow, or when i need to go to the store for stuff that wont travel well on the bike, even though i bought an air conditioner one time and transported it home on 2 wheels(that was an interesting ride)

just finished some major work today, brakes all working, but after running it for a while i shut the fuel off, mistake, fuel started spurting out the petcock the full tank out on the ground. the petcock looks like it is riveted, and i was wondering if it was rebuildable or not.

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area... lights are nice.. I have led running/fog lights up front.. they don't throw much for distance but a slight misadjustment and they are bright to look at from any distance.. I also have a line on multibulb led lights that do throw a beam out there..

Hi joe.what kind are thay.maybe would be good to chang my running lights over to them.mine drew some power.

got the bike up and running, rode it around a little, but theres still a few minor issues to work out, petcock and battery being the biggest 2(battery is smaller than original, but it is what i had, better than nothing for now), need to adjust the valves still, but im waiting on my new valve cover gaskets first. im using the plugs that were in the bike when i got it so, a set of new plugs will make a big difference, then once thats all done i can synch and adjust the carbs.

what surprises me is all the lights and stuff work, along with all the switches and sensors. the only electrical bug i can see is when i pull the clutch in the neutral light comes on, what causes this, and is it normal?

jswag5":3thwf7fc said:
the only electrical bug i can see is when i pull the clutch in the neutral light comes on, what causes this, and is it normal?

There is a diode in that circuit to prevent this. Either it's been shorted out or bypassed.

The part is called a Selenium rectifier. It's right below the spark plugs in this diagram, it lets cuurent flow in only one direction.

image.php

Latest posts