newbie from northeast indiana

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was thinking if it was the water pump it would leak coolant, not oil, so i need a water pump rebuild and some new seals, this looks possible with the engine in the bike, so it shouldnt be a problem

You can check the water pump easily by removing the lower hose fitting from the front cover then see if you can wiggle the impeller. It shouldn't wiggle much more than a hair.
When you do it make sure to get new O rings that go on the pump and all new front cover seals and O rings.

well, i have not cleaned the bike since i got it, so tomorrow after work i am gunna hit up the car wash and hit it with some engine cleaner and clean it up good, so maybe i can see where the leak is.
it appears to be leaking a little out of the shifter seal and maybe along the rear cover(could not tell, it could just be blowing back from the forward leaks)
the leak around the water pump weep hole is only right after shutting off, i let the thing idle after i got home for probably close to 20 mins without any drips, but the instant i turned the key off it started dripping out the weep hole.
put about 100 miles on it since i topped off the oil last and the level has dropped very little, so maybe there was some stuck rings finally freed up or maybe some dried out seals have re-hydrated a little and stopped leaking(or at least slowed down a lot).

finally got around to taking the water pump out the other day and was glad i did.
when i pulled the front cover away from the engine i tilted it to drain the excess oil and stuff out and the bearings in the water pump fell apart. luckily this didnt happen while running.
i ordered a water pump rebuild kit and gasket set from ebay, got the gaskets, still waiting on the rebuild kit though.

Latest posts