No suction in 3 and 4 carb 81 gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
So I have a problem with this 81 gl I've been restoring this engine has had the top gone through by myself compression is perfect carbs are rebuilt just like I rebuild all my carbs they are tip top float levels perfect there is fuel in all bowls starts immediately but only runs on front two cylinders 1 and 2 only if you pour a bit of gas in 3 4 carb it runs on those but will not suck gas through the carb I for the life of me cannot figure out why. the carbs are clean clean clean synced so please dont telle to me to clean them been working on small engine carbs for a long time so i know cleaning is imperative there has to be some common problems between the 3 and 4 carbs because they both won't suck gas

Last edited:
In order to understand the problem, I have to ask, how do you know the carbs won't suck gas? Are the bowls full ?
Yes bowls are full and at proper fuel level you can also spray just a bit of gas into the intake on those two carbs and it fires right up. Also this year has the pressed in idle jets and they have been removed and cleaned properly so I know this is not the problem. I beginning to think it might be the slides in the top not opening for some lame reason

Hi Derrick I'm not familiar with 81 carbs but on my 76 I found cleaning the idle circuit very difficult with the bowls off and puck removed, as these components complete the circuit, so I found removing an elbow at a time and squirting and blowing down the mixture screw hole and seeing how well it comes out the brass discharge squirter helped me , I also soaked my intake elbow rubbers in oil of wintergreen and isopropyl alcoho to soften them. Is it in sync ? from previous settings , difficult to set at the moment . Do the 81s have good ignition? , I added a relay to my ignition circuit which has helped mine . The slides are down at idle and move up as your throttle is opened , does it come onto 4 cyl as the revs increase .cheers.

Hi Derrick I'm not familiar with 81 carbs but on my 76 I found cleaning the idle circuit very difficult with the bowls off and puck removed, as these components complete the circuit, so I found removing an elbow at a time and squirting and blowing down the mixture screw hole and seeing how well it comes out the brass discharge squirter helped me , I also soaked my intake elbow rubbers in oil of wintergreen and isopropyl alcoho to soften them. Is it in sync ? from previous settings , difficult to set at the moment . Do the 81s have good ignition? , I added a relay to my ignition circuit which has helped mine . The slides are down at idle and move up as your throttle is opened , does it come onto 4 cyl as the revs increase .cheers.
Everything is new it's not the idle circuits I've actually had those out they flow great turns out it was two of the float valves the springs on them were a little on the weak side causing the float high to be just a hair different I actually pulled the idle Jets out too recleaned and it started working fine so I don't know which one did it

Latest posts