Oops! I did it again...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210020#p210020:cvwgy1kj said:
brianinpa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 am[/url]":cvwgy1kj]
My problem with that... I don't have a press, so it required persistence. It took me about 30 minutes of slide hammering each side, but I finally was able to get them apart, now I need to order more parts :head bang: . I also kept the garage door closed so if any of the neighbors walked by and they heard all the :sensored: :sensored: I am sure they were wondering what was happening.
:good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210009#p210009:3e9i2lz5 said:
brianinpa » June 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm[/url]":3e9i2lz5]
These act like they are glued in. I've never had seals that I could not pop out by using the slide hammer technique, and yes the circlip is removed. Time to try some persuasion.

I may be weaker than some folks (I have an old injury that reduces grip strength on one side) but I could not pop my fork seals by hand.

Ended up installing the fork back in the motorcycle, then I could do the slide-hammer trick.

(Make sure the motorcycle is well supported before you try this.)

I’ve never known old forks to come apart easily or neatly either at the shops I’ve worked at or at home. Even the newer forks on some of the bikes at work seem to fight tooth and nail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am waiting on parts before and I can put the forks back together, so what do I do... I start to clean and then I start to rub a little bit, and pretty soon before I know it I am sanding. What comes after sanding? Of course I dig out the HF buffer that's been sitting idle for several years and I start polishing. Pretty soon I remember that this wasn't that hard. Left side is done, now onto the right :head bang:

image.php

Help me! I think I am standing on the top of the abyss and I am being pulled in...

As I had mentioned, this lock down has had it's benefits... time. and lots of it. I have time to work in the garge and get my mind off of the daily task of keeping a staff of 1700+ hospital employees safe and healthy during a pandemic. Wrenching on the bikes is good therapy! Time to update this thread...

I bought this bike last year and I didn't really have any intention to rush the job of getting it running and road-worthy, so it sat in the garage and I would work on it slowly. I left off with the fork seals and so that is how it sat for the winter.

image.php

That made it easy to fit everything in the garage, but I needed to get busy, so, slowly but surely I kept at it and got things back on it. It wasn't long before my parts pile was almost gone.

image.php

Now it's moving under it's own power and ready for the first big road test, as soon as I get a good plate to put on the rear.

Tonight's job? Radiator fan switch and indicator light.

Good to see that someone is being productive. We are finally “able” to ride for exercise up to 50klm from home. I always had the option to take a bike to a job but I have always used the Ute atm as I need all my gear on most of my jobs. :doh:

I bought this thing as a partial basket case, not quite as bad as Joe's, but it wasn't all in one piece. Paid $100 for it, spend about $150 for a rear tire, fork seal parts, and other minor things, but nothing too extensive. I had another 81 1100 front wheel and tire still laying around the garage that has maybe 500 miles on it, so I didn't need a new front tire.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

The carbs need some work, so I may have some additional expenses in the near future, but so far I am all in at roughly $325 including the front tire. Not too bad...

Now the question is, what do I do with it... Do I really need three GoldWings?

image.php

:head bang:

Yes, you need at least 3 Wings. 1 to ride, 1 to shine and 1 to wrench. Also, be on the lookout for a Gl1000 to round out your collection. Then the Valkyrie and then an 1800. Then open your own museum and charge admission. Oh, don't forget the Silver Wings. You could go far with this idea.

All the way to the poorhouse! But what a ride!

I'm still looking for a cheap 1100 like yours that needs a home.

Latest posts