Over heated in Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmm i know the 84 motor is more like a 1100 motor ...and in 85 many things changed ...front ignition ...bolt pattern for rear cover....starter motor ...nothing to extreme though....also there is grearing change...84 motor has the tallest gearing ..but its not much

Not certain but I think the Aspy uses the gearing selector switch to control gear indicator on the dash and ignition timing. Neither of which should affect your build.

Nailed this one guys. When I replaced the motor on my '87 Aspy, the donor came from an Interstate. The pick-off wires from the tranny are different and I only ever got neutral indication working again. The 1-2-3-4-5 indication no longer has the "sender" info.

You must use the Aspy gear selector switch if you want to know what gear you're in. The Aspy switch wire has about six wires in the housing; the non-digital dashes wire has only 2, I think. The Aspy switch/gear selector/neutral switch will install in the Interstate gear box, but you must split the case to do it, as I remember.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185572#p185572:7l2x23kb said:
dan filipi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm[/url]":7l2x23kb]
The gear selector switch is in the front cover that houses the water pump.
So much for that memory.

Tom

I have the 87 in a condition that I am comfortable with, and the 81 in now a memory, so it is time to revive this thread. The motor from the 81 will be going into this bike, but I need to do some work to it first. Gear position switch, starter clutch, and put the stock ignition back onto it.

Parts are on order and the bikes have been shuffled in the garage so this one is in the center where I can easily work on it. It's time to get busy!

Here is the first item of interest I found with the original 1200 motor. This is what a good gear position switch should look like.

image.php

I was going to take the gear position switch out of the bad motor to use in the good motor, so I took the transmission cover off. When I took it off, a piece of "something" that looked like wood fell out, so I just set it aside. Well it wasn't wood. It was the melted, twisted remains of the orange plastic piece of the switch. Now I'll be damned if I can find where I set it down at to keep it as a reminder of what can happen inside these motors when they get hot. :head bang:

When I pulled the rear case off, the stator that has about 11,000 miles on it looks worse than the stator that has 70,000 miles on it. Yep, it was hot!

Today I took the clutch off of the overheated motor just to see what it looked like. I was a bit surprised.

image.php

image.php

No I won't reuse it but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Glazed over, & look pretty hard, that keeps the spacer plates intact by slipping. :good: Thought out pretty well, when you think about the other ways for the clutch to show you that it needs some attention. :headscratch:

The last 1100 engine I put together was an 81 that I put 83 trans gears in to. Since I was there and at that time had clutch plates from 3 different engines, I mic'd the best parts together. All of unknown age or mileage. That clutch then went thru some very tough use my son and I 2 up in the canyons, highway rides, stop and go traffic of Los Angeles, hilly starts with lots of gas and slipping to start out. Sometimes when hot it would chatter but it never gave up or slipped. Honda built these clutches pretty tough.

Tonight I put the front of the engine back together again which included a new gear position sensor. Then I started on the back side... replaced the starter clutch parts and reassembled the rotor. Tomorrow, I put the rear case cover back on and work on the rest of the motor.

When I had this motor in the 81 there were a few times that I started it and I could have sworn I saw smoke coming out the left side of the motor. Today I looked the motor over and I think I found out what was causing it.

image.php

It appears someone had some hard times getting a starter in and wanted to make it easier. :head bang: All they did was create a mess.

I hope J-B Weld will be able to fix that.