• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Plug Wires and Caps, Place your Order (It's a done deal, thanks jdegase!)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigAndrew":1p8h6od5 said:
I'll definitely consider that in the future around tax return time but for now ill just stick with new wires and plugs since that kit is outta my price range :fiddle:

Hey Eric, Did you notice better throttle responce and mpg after that upgrade?

Yes I did, although I purchased these at the time I was doing a lot of work on the bike (rebuilding carbs, replacing the bad coils, plugs, etc...) so that might have had something to do with it.

tumunga":1mg3r552 said:
Yes I did, although I purchased these at the time I was doing a lot of work on the bike (rebuilding carbs, replacing the bad coils, plugs, etc...) so that might have had something to do with it.

Oh.. Ok
As old as my plugs & wires are i should notice a little something when i change them out, Maybe i should adjust my valves at the same time so that way i'll notice a difference for sure :rocks:

So what is the end Price ??? I'm sure I could use some too....... IF I can afford it. it is Exactly $25 ....or with all the ideas ....has it changed ???

sledge":uh0rshsv said:
So what is the end Price ??? I'm sure I could use some too....... IF I can afford it. it is Exactly $25 ....or with all the ideas ....has it changed ???

And which ways can the money be gotten to you jd? Paypal is best for me.

paypal is great for me..
and as long as everyone is in the lower 48 I can say 25$ total.
if your outside the lower 48 or canada I'll have to check on price for shipping... but wire set will be 20$ + shp.
still I think a great price.

Update:
I got confirmation on the order, and a brief message that since I ordered 44 plug caps they had to send to factory to get enough to fill my order.
hopefully they will be shipped out today.

jdegase":2xcchff3 said:
some 1000 had the wires built into the coils...

Hmm.. so I am guessing it would not work if my 1000 has the wires built into the coils. Anyone know if a 79 would? I am not really sure what I am looking for on that one, so I will check the manual to see if I can find any pics. If anyone knows of any clear diagrams orr pictures on that, could you throw me a link?

Thanks!
Jeffery

Cervantes":1xhg3x57 said:
jdegase":1xhg3x57 said:
some 1000 had the wires built into the coils...

Hmm.. so I am guessing it would not work if my 1000 has the wires built into the coils. Anyone know if a 79 would? I am not really sure what I am looking for on that one, so I will check the manual to see if I can find any pics. If anyone knows of any clear diagrams orr pictures on that, could you throw me a link?

there are a couple options if your coils and wires are together...
there is a splice/joiner you can use to connect the new wires to the old coils..
j18083.jpg

Code:
Wire connector makes attaching a new spark plug wire to a CDI unit easy, just insert the lead from the CDI unit in one end, the new plug wire in the other and screw the two pieces together for a watertight seal. Wire connector made of high impact plastic.

or you could hunt some newer coils and replace those older ones...I believe the gl1100 coils will work fine on the gl1000.
correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Cervantes":34u9jjql said:
I assume these will work fine on my 1979 1000. If that is so, count me in.

cevantes you need to work on getting the dyna ignition and coils and forget this half step approach the dyna will bring you in to electronic igniton with all the advantages of adjustible ignition one of the best moves i made on my 79 .....the coils are under the glove box towards the forks ....if the wires come out the bottom then there stock coils the wires can actualy be changed ....its like there threaded on there just screw them out it anit easy but not hard and screw the new wires on you dont need anything extra....the deal here is the stock ignition was never any good for the wing and is mostly parts from 750 honda ignition that honda used to save money ....but if you cant get the dyna then changing the wires is probably a good move....but check the coils out and post back....

dan filipi":nz6jatjk said:
Question about the new plug boots.

They come with a resistor, I already have resistor type Irridium plugs.
Can the resistor be removed in these new boots?
How do you like the Irridium plugs? I have been told that they will increase lower end torqe, but cause a slight decrease in mileage. Any truth to that for these engines?

I honestly can't say that I've noticed any difference performance wise Gerry.

I did find though with one of the engines that had a broken oil ring a regular NGK would foul but the Irridium would not.

randakk had this picture of the caps disassembled.
Thanks Bro!

Spark%20Plug%20Cap%20Details.jpg

looks as though these will be great for us, because we can run them either with or without the resistor...
simply by replacing the resistor in the cap with a short peice of rod, or heavy wire.... I was thinking maybe a big welding rod with the coating broken off...
or just some metal rod cut to lenght.
I plan to upgrade to the iridium plugs also.

I'm waiting patiently for more info on our order.

heres the plan guys...
I want to get the parts and check them all to make sure I have the right stuff...
I know its all good but I'd rather be on the safe side of this one...
then I'll post my findings with my wires/caps and a picture or two...
then I'll post my info.. and we'll get this ball rolling for you guys...
I'd hate to get the parts and find out they didnt send ALL the right parts... I know they had to outsource 16 caps from one wholesaler, and 8 from another to fill my order.

Thanks for being patient on this.
Hopefully it'll work out good for everyone... I know my bike is suffering from bad wires I can hear it in the radio.

Latest posts