Post a bike you wanted but never had

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
I'll go first with a Honda CB1100R
Honda CB1100R.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB1100R
An owner of a small bike shop had one of these as his personal mount. When I say small it was a little wood building. Every time I stopped by I would walk around the bike and asked once if it was for sale. You can probably guess the answer.

A few years later while working as a bona fide service tech for a major dealership I had the opportunity to test ride an ultra rare Honda RC45 race homologation special following a brake pad and fluid service but, like women, it's the ones that got away that linger in the mind.

Second is a 1990's H-D Low Rider. To me this is the best appearing but that probably belies my age. Not a fan of tiller bars and excessive baggage. This just looks like something I want to jump on.
1991 HD FXRS 1340 low rider.jpg

Easy, I always wanted a 2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate!

View attachment 50386
Another boring story (got no where else to post them);
I did some work to a customer's Valkyrie fitted with six individual open pipes and while taking a freeway underpass u-turn spotted some high school students walking with their back to me so I wrapped the throttle to have some fun. They reacted like hit with an electric shock! lol

Also thought it would be cool to have a GL650 Silverwing.

View attachment 50387
I love those GL Silver Wings, most practical all-arounder from the era imo. The styling wasn't loved by everyone tho, one journalist described the engine appearance as an air compressor.

A 1200 V-Max is likely going to be my next bike. Yeah, I know there's the 1700 but it's ugly as fug imo, like molded from a lump of pumice clay. I need CHROME and polished aluminum on my cruiser.
Yamaha 1200 VMAX red.jpg

Easy, I always wanted a 2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate!

View attachment 50386
Oooh! Good choice. I had one and absolutely loved it. Powerful and maneuverable. Kind of like a fat guy that can dance, like Jackie Gleason or John Goodman. Sad news is I tangled with a deer on my way to run a rally in Montana. The bike was totaled and I was pretty well messed up for some months. I miss that bike.

Just picking one bike would be tough. I suppose a kawi Mach 3 would be top choice. Something about the smell and sound of a finely tuned 2 stroker
I watched one start and rev, just that alone was an experience. The frame , tires, and brakes were suitable for a 125 though. Maybe.

Thanks for the article from Motorcycle Classics. I subscribed to that fine magazine for years, but somehow let my subscription lapse. I need to renew! By the way… I had one of my restorations featured in the “Readers Rides” section of that magazine several years ago. It was a 1974 CB450. It just showed one before and one after photo, but I was pretty damn proud of it!
And everything they said about the R90S in that article is pretty much dead on. It’s a GREAT bike to ride! It amazes me, every time I take it out, that it was built in 1974. It really feels like a much more modern bike. It could use some improvements, such as better brakes and better suspension, but I’m a NUT for originality, so I leave it as it came from the factory. It does quite well for a 50 year old bike just the way it is.

Growing up I was always intrigued by the BMW's opposing engine and it's unique sound so the R90S would be top of my list.
I also had a place in my heart for the CB450 and the CB750 4. After all I had a CB360T so of course I dreamt of the bigger bikes!

Growing up I was always intrigued by the BMW's opposing engine and it's unique sound so the R90S would be top of my list.
I also had a place in my heart for the CB450 and the CB750 4. After all I had a CB360T so of course I dreamt of the bigger bikes!
In the previous century I owned four Honda 750s, two SOHC 750F, a DOHC 750F, and a 750A automatic with complete Vetter fairing and bags. I don't even want to think about what they would be worth now....