Restoring an old GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After pulling out my steel bar (The But Buster) I was able to break loose both sides and get the swingarm free

Use an amen wrench in the bolt side. The lock but will come with it. Or at least mine did.
The person before me used something wired and fused the metal of the bolt and the nut. The Allen was the only way I was able to get the thing off.

Thank you all for the help/suggestions.

After pulling out my steel bar (The But Buster) I was able to break loose both sides and get the swingarm free

The person before me used something wired and fused the metal of the bolt and the nut. The Allen was the only way I was able to get the thing off.

Thank you all for the help/suggestions.
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make it work!

Attachments

• Green Red.JPG
    Green Red.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 60
While you have the bike at this level, block the rear and check the underside of the centerstand for any bulging or rust. If the centerstand is perfectly straight, there might not be any issues. However, if you see any misshapen form, it is twisting and failing (common on the 1100's).

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

Any updates on the restoration? I hope everything is going smoothly.
Actually have made a ton of progress. The engine has been completely disassembled and is being cleaned at the moment. I have been trying to decide on what color I was my plastics and fake tank. (Have been thinking about purple).

i rebuilt all the brakes and the forks and will hopefully be reassembling it all in a few week. I will post some photos of it once I get it clean.

I do have some questions on where to find some things: air hoses / connectors for Aspencade shocks (should I use normal shocks), where do I find fork ears? Do I have to use crappy aftermarket ones?

Also wonder if I should paint my engine or polish the crap out of?

I am talking to a machine shop near me to see if they can clean it for me to paint. I honestly didn't know you could even paint them till I found this engine painted.

Hello everyone I am David.

I found this GL1100 in a barn and decided to give it life (I have heard the engine run so woohoo). I am disassembling it now and will be turning to you all to help me find the replacement parts I need. I have been using the forums for a few months now and finally decided to become a member; Took me till I began disassembling the bike to create an account.

I hope to someday get my girl (Matilda) on the road and riding free again!

Wish me luck!

View attachment 48231
Here is wishing you luck but you shouldn't need luck, you are working with a Goldwing!

Like the progress. I did my engine during the C-19 issue. Had everything vapour blasted. Did not paint, but used CERAKOTE MC5100 as a protectant on everything that I could. Cleans up with a damp rag. Specifically formulated for all aluminum finishes, including vapour blasted surfaces, but works just as well on painted surfaces - no affiliation, just like the product. This is an air cure product, no heat required. Can be brushed or sprayed on. It's a nasty product, wear a mask. Caveat - once applied nothing sticks to it unless you roughen the area up a bit. Company mentioned in an email that most of its MC products would work well.

To paint the engine just have to have media/sand blasting. If you vapour blast, won't be able to paint - surface too smooth for paint to adhere. Would have to rough up the surface defeating the purpose of vapour blasting.

If you are having problems sourcing new rings, 2002 Chevy Tracker 1.6 litre rings work a treat. Have these installed in my 1200. I got mine from Rockauto, but no piston rings show up on its web site for this engine anymore. These rings sets come in standard of 75mm, or 0.5mm over, and 1.0mm over. I used 1.0 mm over and adjusted the end gap to suit.

I used this ring set in my 1200 because when I had the machine shop hone the cylinders, check the con rods for straight, and install the new generic rings, the machinist mentioned he did not like the rings. His instinct(s) were spot on. First and subsequent starts, blue smoke every time. Took engine apart, fitted these new rings, made by Hastings, and smoke issue went away - happy camper I was after this. Compression all round at approximately 160ish.

Had an issue with the engine shifting after first time back together. Wouldn't shift out of first. Took engine apart, no issues. When I put it back together, made sure it shifted at every step, especially after joining the cases. Just a thought.

There are two support bearings inside the cases. One for the alternator shaft, and the other for the output shaft. Make sure these are in good shape. Mine were seized:

Alt Shaft Bearing.jpg

Easy to replace at this stage when you have the cases apart.

I used Honda Bond 4 for the mating surfaces, good stuff - no leaks:

Hondabond 4.jpg

Followed the instructions in the OEM service manual ragarding the rear case - it recommends only doing a part of the gasket. Had an oil leak because of this. Took engine out, removed case and used Honda Bond 4 on the entire gasket surface, no leak.

Just a few thoughts for consideration.

Cheers

I will be done sandblasting soon and I will be using ceramic engine paint to coat it. I was able to find rings, I have been having issues finding crank/piston bearings. Any links where I might find those?

you might have other ideas for engine paint but a ringer for stock silver is called cast aluminum silver engine paint, I salute you brother, thats a big job but it looks like your determined and thats what it takes.

Forgot to mention. When I painted my-ex 1500 and my long term retirement project - '85 GW, I made a lazy susan to put th eparts on for painting. Let me rotate the parts/pieces for ease of painting. Only $10.00 or so:

Lazy Susan.jpg

This picture shows the lower front cowling of the 1500 primed ready for paint on the lazy susan. Mad a jig to accommodate various pieces. Had a fan behind to keep the paint overspray in check. This lazy susan also supported the engine so I could spin it for work:

Lower front cowling primed.jpg

Slowly painting all the pieces. The frame has taken me over a month of sanding and I am still not done, might need to rethink how I am going about that. Also how do I go about protecting the bike info on the frame?

I ordered some bearings from CMSNL so thank you guys so much for the tip!

If all goes well I will finish the engine before September!

Attachments

• B8C6F282-F71D-4F09-A196-CD695815CEEC.jpeg
    B8C6F282-F71D-4F09-A196-CD695815CEEC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0