Risks of riding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know there is an element of risk to riding, and those of us that have been riding a long time have seen and experienced the risks.

So why do we continue to ride? I guess that is really a personal question with many different answers.

I have met people that are so fearful of taking any risks in life that they fail to experience many of the joys of life.

For me, I love many things. I love to fly, sky dived for a few years until I decided it made no sense to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, did give up back country skiing but not do to fear but an aging body.

If my life should have been cut short do to doing the things I love to do I would have no regrets, other than for my family.

I believe that spirit lives in most riders, it’s not that we play with fate, but we live our lives to the fullest.

Any thoughts?

I'm slowing down as the effects of hard physical work all my life catch up with me to the point I hesitate risking taking so many chances like I did when I was younger.....but I am very glad I did those things and really wouldn't replace any one of the experiences. Have to do what you can while you can, age and burn out sneaks up behind you.

I've always felt similarly and thought the fearful, who don't dare take a risk don't really live, they just exist.
Of course those with that adventerous daring philosophy generally have their share of battle scars and healed up broken bones.

Up until recently I have lived in surburban and rural areas, but now in the big city. It's the 4th largest city in the United States.

City riding and freeway riding are really quite unfun lately and contain many more indifferent, distracted, caged assasins.

This development has made me reconsider the real potential cost and diminished enjoyment of it all recently. :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176994#p176994:3o12lxl1 said:
Terry » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:27 pm[/url]":3o12lxl1]
I've always felt similarly and thought the fearful, who don't dare take a risk don't really live, they just exist.
Of course those with that adventerous daring philosophy generally have their share of battle scars and healed up broken bones.

Up until recently I have lived in surburban and rural areas, but now in the big city. It's the 4th largest city in the United States.

City riding and freeway riding are really quite unfun lately and contain many more indifferent, distracted, caged assasins.

This development has made me reconsider the real potential cost and diminished enjoyment of it all recently. :headscratch:
That would do it for sure!

I think we must balance common sense with the risk factors of whatever activity we engage in. Riding on California freeways during rush hour is much different than riding the foothill roads. I once thought nothing of splitting traffic, today I don't have a need to but if I did I just might reconsider the practice, then again I might not.

In the aviation community there is a saying, "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots", I think the same can apply to the motorcycle community.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176994#p176994:2ovq1dtz said:
Terry » Today, 12:27 pm[/url]":2ovq1dtz]

This development has made me reconsider the real potential cost and diminished enjoyment of it all recently.
:headscratch:

Oh boy, does that ever ring true for me.
I have come to hate city riding as it really takes it out of me avoiding all the idiots drivers out there.

Pretty everything's been said, as to the pro's & con's of riding motorcycle's. :roll: Anything worthwhile has a cost of some sort, compared to it's joy. :blush: Nobody get's out alive anyway, :nea: so my decision was truck it. :whistling: Let's go play, :good: gonna die some day anyway. :smilie_happy:

Yeah, I wish I had lived in the countryside..
From here (Los Angeles suburb) any good ride must involve freeways and traffic.

As for the risks, I haven't felt much for some reason.
Because no one very close to me got involved in serious accidient?
Not sure.
My neighbor told me his relative got killed on Goldwing but that didn't affect me at all.

But the thought of jumping out of the airplane freaks me out. LOL

Jumping out is easy, it's the landing that can get to you. But any landing you walk away from is a good one.

We all have certain fears, for me it is snakes and I live in an area loaded with rattlesnakes. Someone stuck a baby rattler in my mail box a few years ago, I darn near had a heat attack, my crazy neighbor plays with them.

Years ago, I tried scuba diving, it totally freaked me out, all I could think of was the jaws movies.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177161#p177161:4bm801qy said:
OldWrench » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 am[/url]":4bm801qy]

Jumping out is easy, it's the landing that can get to you. But any landing you walk away from is a good one.

We all have certain fears, for me it is snakes and I live in an area loaded with rattlesnakes. Someone stuck a baby rattler in my mail box a few years ago, I darn near had a heat attack, my crazy neighbor plays with them.

Years ago, I tried scuba diving, it totally freaked me out, all I could think of was the jaws movies.

Scuba is fun to me. We can never experience zero-gravity of outer space (unless you are billionaire) so only closest things are sky diving and scuba diving.

One thing is for sure, when jumping out of a plane, you are instantly aware of gravity because the ground is coming at you very fast. However the feeling of floating is incredible. Get rid of all the sharks and I would love to scuba dive again, or actually get certified, it was fun in the pool.

Oh actually you can experience zero gravity in rapidly decending airplain. Like NASA people do. I don't know if there is a ride for general public like that.
When I was scuba diving in Palau (northern pacific), I saw blue shark looking thing passed by us in opposite direction. Maybe in 50~60 feet distance.
But that was peacefull.

For me diving and sky diving are spectator sports. Pretty much all sports are really. The biggest risk in riding to me is in not expecting stupid to happen. I always do and rarely am I proven wrong.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177171#p177171:1tpxxrex said:
OldWrench » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:16 am[/url]":1tpxxrex]
One thing is for sure, when jumping out of a plane, you are instantly aware of gravity because the ground is coming at you very fast. However the feeling of floating is incredible. Get rid of all the sharks and I would love to scuba dive again, or actually get certified, it was fun in the pool.

More chance of being run over on the Goldwing than becoming a victim of Jaws. :yes:
You have to be impressed with Mick Fannings win at J-Burg after his close call last year. :clapping: :good: :salute:

Latest posts