Risks of riding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what I was trying to say is each of us may or may not have certain fears, justified or not. Fear is actually a healthy thing, it can keep us from doing something stupid, on the other hand it can keep us from fully enjoying life. My fear of snakes and sharks are probably much greater than the real risk.

New risk now is the damn pokemon go craze. Guy ran into a parked patrol car today nearly hitting two officers. He was playing the game.

Correction- That was monday in Baltimore. Driver quoted as saying. "That's what I get for playing this stupid game."

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177306#p177306:1sgsjktm said:
OldWrench » Yesterday, 10:11 pm[/url]":1sgsjktm]
Again, you can't fix stupid.

I wonder how many accidents are caused by using cell phones while driving?

A lot,
I see people texting while driving in mass these days.
I tend to watch my rear view mirror diligently. Many times you see people paying little attention to whats ahead of them in traffic situations.

Modern autos are nice and almost drive themselves, that too lends itself to distraction. Distraction wasn't much of a problem with older vehicles that required more driver involvement and before cellphones.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177335#p177335:jvg9c0xd said:
skiri251 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 pm[/url]":jvg9c0xd]
Is it illegal to mout modulating headlight backwards?
I guess, right? (sigh)
Most definitely! But I too have thought it might help.

I developed a habit a long time ago. When in traffic and coming to a stop I always position my bike so I can either split lanes and get between two cars, or escape to the shoulder if someone seems like they aren't going to stop in time. I know it isn't a perfect solution but it does give a way out.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177339#p177339:1jxw8f1k said:
OldWrench » 4 minutes ago[/url]":1jxw8f1k]
I developed a habit a long time ago. When in traffic and coming to a stop I always position my bike so I can either split lanes and get between two cars, or escape to the shoulder if someone seems like they aren't going to stop in time. I know it isn't a perfect solution but it does give a way out.
+1! :good:

Dan most riders go to neutral at a light, maybe I'm just paranoid. A friend of mine got hit from behind, fortunately he wasn't hurt and the care was almost stopped when it hit him, but it sure did a lot of damage to the bike. I'm just glad I don't need to ride in the city any more.

I like to use neutral when I feel pretty safe but as stated you can't take evasive manuevers quickly unless you are in gear and at the ready.

I like the idea of staying back a little at a light and in 1st gear. At least you have a shot at making it into a slot between two cars or head for the shoulder or a turn lane. I cringe at the sound of brakes locking up when I'm at a stoplight. I keep a close eye on the rear view as well.
So many texters look up and slam on the brakes today! I would make one ugly pancake!