Seatery

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but here goes.

Through my twenties I could ride all day, party for a few hours, then ride back again, none the worse for wear. I had to stop riding for about twenty years or so, and about a year and a half ago I got this Goldwing and took up the touring hobby again. Now, in my fifties, I'm good for about a hundred miles and start getting a bit saddle sore. I'm scared to go anywhere like that. That's not even a tank of gas! I changed the seat, since it was time for the stock one to retire anyway, and tried the Saddleman, king & queen type, I got on ebay. There is more support, and it's better, but still anything over a hundred miles becomes a chore. I'm going to attempt a shot at redoing the OEM seat. I'm thinking of striping it down to the pan and start from scratch. I need to build for comfort, with two up in mind. I want a seat that will give me and my passenger 500 miles a day without kicking our tired old butts. We're supposed to enjoy doing this, remember? So I'm looking for tips, ideas, instruction, sources for materials, etc. :builder:
If you were going to ride out two or three tanks of gas before stopping, what would you want from your seat?

Am I asking for too much from a place to sit?

I have the same problem.
It seems like my seat is springy enough, the problem is the material.
I have a seat which has a cloth material in place of the vinyl a PO stretched over and that thing is more comfortable than 3 other "professionally" done seats I've tried.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Im in my 20's and i cant even ride for over 100 miles without my bum getting very sore, Doesnt help that im 90lbs over weight :fiddle:
Thats why i want to get one of those saddleman seats, Specially since mine is falling apart really bad

The PO on my bike had torn apart the seat and added a big gel pad under the foam (he hollowed it out) against the pan. He also made other mods that made it look like a dumpster reject. When I read about the Road Sofa in a prevoius post I started looking in the "Saddlemen" seats. I found one on ebay and bought it. It arrived two days ago and yesterday I switched the brackets and set it on the bike. :grin: Then I sat myself on the bike and tried to imagine warm weather, fairing back on, tank cover on, etc. :mrgreen: I guess I can't report anything other that it came promptly and fits well on the bike and my butt seems to fit well in the pocket created for it. The buy it now price was and is $188.11 including shipping.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0315828738

After I change my belts, brakes, tires, and get it all back together Ill test my theory that I can still ride several hundred miles in one "sitting" like I used to. :salute:

thewhiterhino":3gah8m9a said:

That's the same one I got. I've had it for about a year now. It's great for up to just about a hundred miles. My sore spot is from the butt to the inner thighs. Seems like the seat just needs more padding or something. Perhaps if I could find some way to disperse the weight differently :?: :idea:

theres been many times ive had to go 1000 miles non stop except for gas. then bounce around on a drum seat like your operating human machine gun . riding the bike a 1000 miles is much easier. i want sheepskin cover and plan to use it for bike week . i dont think im smart enough to know how much my butt hurts when im having so much fun joedrum 55yrs young

If I were going to take the oe seat down to the pan and rebuild from there, I would see if there was a way to incorporate memory foam, yes like the pillows, and possibly find either real leather or a velour style cover. I've recovered mine with vinyl, but I'm sure it would have been more comfortable one of the other ways, but money was a factor.

There is a guy over on the ngw that has a custom seat for $30 plus shipping. It's ugly as sin, but may be what you're looking for.

scdmarx":14n2vlqr said:
Memory foam might be a good idea. Perhaps I can cut a chunk off the ol'ladys side of the bed, since her feet don't reach the end anyways. :builder: :music:
I am building my own seat for the Cafe-nated wing and thought about the memory foam as well. Might buy one of the pillows made of the same and cut it up...

In the hospital setting we are always trying to reduce pressure on the patients pressure points, one of the main areas is the coxxyc area or tailbone. The body just isn't meant to be sitting in the same position over 60 minutes. Just try to go 5 minutes in the chair your sitting in *with out moving one bit.* It's even worse if you suffer from pilonidal cysts(tailbone) like myself. 1-12 men have this affliction(bet there's a couple here).

That said, there is only one thing you can do for long trips. First, get the most comfortable seat you can find that fits your butt. Too wide is just as bad as too narrow. Personally I do the best on my firm Saddleman's, not the do-it-yourself cover but the whole *new* seat. Secondly, take breaks! Don't be afraid the massage your ass when you stop to refuel. Your backside needs just as much blood as your brain, and the pain comes from constant pressure and poor circulation in your gluttial muscles. Patients in the hospital still get sores in $80,000 Klinitron air beds. It's our weight and gravity hurting us, not what we sit on.

~O~

The only way I've been able to endure over 100 miles in one stretch is to move around on the seat once in awhile, more often when getting close to 100 miles. I have to take some of the weight off my ass occasionally by standing up on the pegs.
I bet a sheepskin would help ALOT.

My boss's wife has been wheel chair bound most of her life (she is in her late 60's now) and has used a motorized scooter for 20 years. Basically, she is only able to get out when taking care of business or going to bed. She is keenly aware of pressure points and very susceptable to sores from sitting too long. She has used a genuine black hair sheep skin for over 20 years without ever getting a pressure sore or reduced circulation to her bum. They are the ones that have recommended a genuine sheep skin for my bike and I know others that have used them.

mcgovern61":3friox27 said:
She has used a genuine black hair sheep skin for over 20 years without ever getting a pressure sore or reduced circulation to her bum.

Black Huh? Thats what i need to match my bike's color :mrgreen:

If you're gonna use memory foam, get high density memory foam. Maybe in combo with a gel insert.

I use gel pads on my wore out regular seat and can do 600 miles in a day, wife is good for 400 day so I compromise.

Here's a site that explains a lot about modifying your own seat. A full size sheep skin cover works wonders to, winter or summer, just have to keep it dry.

https://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php