Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive Holley,Weber 740 carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96910#p96910:10kmcgrm said:
westgl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 am[/url]":10kmcgrm]
Now I have a Honda NC700X it is by far the best throttle I have ever ridden, SMOOTH, engine SMOOTH, Trans SMOOTH, Brakes SMOOTH, handles great, Grip is great, and to date 76mpg average, with me riding spirited. Honda did this one right, it is awesome, they are saying that the NC700X is the next early Goldwing, as it is revolutionary, in design, like the first goldwings were

Great to hear that Honda has built another great bike :good: :moped:

well I just got a big laugh on the saunders site and reading captian discount and the discount posse...the whole thread has turned into discounting classic forum ....I like watching an issue that uncovers the fools that just discount themselves while bashing others....

im glad I always work where things were just to real for fools to exist .....fools have to be firmly planted so BS don't kill them what blessing that was for me

I am very sorry to those people that have been following along only to find that there is a mud slinging contest between two sites, and we are caught up int it .

I feel I am in the middle, and will back out, and Not be posting till, it stops and we can all get along.

I provided a ride report on another site, Because I said I would, before all the mud slugging started.

This is Not what any site should be about, I am very sad today.

I said i would provide Dans ride report before he even had his engine running with the new single carb. I do what I say I will do.

I am Honest, and have only the best intentions and have the highest of integrity held for myself.

I am Switzerland and trying to stay very Neutral on this, but this is getting out of Control.

I wanted to help everyone, on both site's and i thought i could, but i guess it is out of my control

But it is becoming a conflict of interest, with me being in the Middle, I am not liking it.

I have been trying to provide information to both sites.

That is Honest, and real, Info, I am not for one or the other, I am for both and I am Not try to keep any mud slinging going.

I may have to back out of both threads till this dies down.

This is really foolish, and only hurts those that need this info.

All I have ever tried to do is help everyone.

Sorry guys

Talk on other forums is just that. What we do here is find the truth of what does or doesn't work and share it. Testing and refinement of the single carbs will continue. No one person is in the middle of any of this. Adapting a single to wings is far from a new idea. But there are new ways to the goal to be explored. I've some ideas of my own and I'm waiting for my parts to arrive.

Westgl, you aren't slinging mud, so don't sweat it. There are some people who type a quick comment whose "tone" can easily be misinterpreted, but intent is everything to me. Most of us here take everything with a grain of salt. The mud slinging has nothing to do with your thread or your assessments. It has nothing to do with Dan's trial fit. It has to do with one man's ego. Every time it's involved the threads all seem to come full circle and point to him as the source, the creator, the only one smart enough to figure it out. He leaks just enough info to get people's curiosity, but never reveals everything except to the few he chooses. My guess is he chose you, Westgl. He probably hopes to sell some manifolds again, and since he only has one main site that hasn't banned him, he's taking the opportunity to slam Dan and even though he sounds like he's encouraging you, he's promoting himself. I know he's already here with a different alias. Too bad, because he probably does know a lot and could help everyone a great deal, but I have seen post after post where he strings people along and then says, " You figure it out." In answering like that he is saying, "I'm smart, you're dumb." We can't let people like that stop us from freely sharing thoughts and ideas that we want. I am a member at NGW and watch your posts there as well. They are probably following this with interest and hoping everything you report is true, but most of them probably have a sour taste in their mouths from the Capn's antics there. If this works as well as stock, plenty will opt for it. If it improves low end torque, another bunch will go for it. Westgl, keep sharing and keep the free flow of info going. It's one of the positive aspects of he web. Ignore the side show.

well this is a shame really .. and I know your real westgl and was completely blindsided by all of this ... but in a pm I hinted at where this would go ....that is why this forum dose things different .... im sure im at fault some cause I never take it lightly deception put on our members here ..taking things out of context to slam people with ...

me im glad to be healthy enough to go to the doghouse and do what I do :cheeky: to all bs :builder: and back to my projects ...I do know one thing for sure this forum helps as you tried to do and there countless accounts of it ..and that's all I care about..... :mrgreen:

Excellent post Eric.

No matter what a monger says or does, we should hold true to what we do here at CGW and that is among other things is to find our own means to an end.
joedrum, myself and others here and other forums have stated many times there are more than one way to get things done both on the cheap and paying someone money for ideas and methods that are freely shared. We like the cheap method :mrgreen:

When faced with opposition and the truth, mongers will think they must defend their position because they feel threatened and insecure about what they are doing and by doing so will resort to lies, half truths, and dangling carrots in hopes someone will fall for it.

Hold true and forge forward.
This character is only trying to confuse the issues at hand and make himself look better.
He is a coward. This is obvious as he has been banned from NGW at least 3 times under 3 different aliases.
I imagine he will try the same here if he hasn't already.

A term used to be popular on the internet called a "Troll".
Wikipedia:
Troll: n Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

He has found it necessary to bash me and CGW, probably because he was banned here under yet another alias, "CM85" and he has lied saying he was banned because he would not post a step by step tutorial to build a single carb system.
In fact THAT discussion never came up or anything remotely about that.
He was banned for posting phenomenal claims he would not back up with proof after repeated requests then started bashing the C5 ignition saying the technology exists for $50, again he would not back up his claims.
He is the definition of "Troll".
He will read this post just as he has been following this thread and twist things to his liking in his cowardly attempt at making himself right.
That is his way, not the way of a real goldwing enthusiast.

If Saunders' moderators were doing their duty as they should they would stop his mud slinging and posting of lies and bashing other forum members in good standing with a long history of true help to other members there.

Yesterday I was being so distracted to the point this Steve Scott (CM85) was pulling me from my true objectives of our forum and my intentions that I had to move this thread into a new forum not visible to guests or those with less than 5 posts.
I did this to try and stop his one way battle with us but have now moved this thread back to the open forums because limiting it's view only serves to limit other people benefiting from the information.

All this BS has taken my time from working on my bike and stops here and now.

Forge forward to your true goals and ignore the liars and cheats trying to pull you away from them.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95142#p95142:3pux671z said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:51 am[/url]":3pux671z]
Why/how does this happen?

Its the Venturi effect. When the air/fuel is forced to go thru the venturi it must speed up to keep the same volume per second. As it speeds up it looses heat, then it comes out of the venturi and has to expand and again it looses heat. Go to about the 6th posting on this: https://www.zcar.com/forum/12-90-96-tech ... ffect.html

dan seems to be making good progress and has change the cams in his 1100 to 1000 cams s ...has retested the compression to a pretty even 150 all the way around mortor .....has also got valves all readjusted ... and has fired it up ..to say to me it runs much smoother ....and is adjusting carb mix screw to a point of stall and now adjust idle .....he is putting back altinator now ...and hes planning on hooking up his gauge vac deal so we can see what going on on each runner ....more to ..im on relay so dan can stay focas....

as we talked it all over its has proven out that the 1200 cams in the 1100 is a mismatch of some kind we don't have figure at all but this is proof that the different compression figures from one side to the other was 1200 cam related somehow more to come :mrgreen: been a great day so far for forum members working on there bikes

second rum after alternator hook up seems to be rather good ...vac gauge seems to indicate runners are quite equal though not perfect ....he thinks it lags just a little still ... could be vac leak and the thin gasket at base of carb ... sheesh he got a lot done today so far ....im quite pleased so far in what im posting in relay

hes getting 8000 rpm easy that just sounds great to me

Ok,,,,,have to explain a couple things so all this makes sense.

Sorry, this is going to be long. I don't know how else to accurately explain what I've experienced so here goes.

I like to try things.
In my 1100 I've tried the 1000 cams.
It ran much better but curiosity got me so I installed 1200 cams.
Those improved low end torque. They've been in over a year now.

They always gave me much higher compression on the right side, 200 lbs+
Left side 150-165 as normal.

When I had the stock 4 carb rack on, I synced them to within a 1/2" and it would run like it was out of sync. I found out the gauges were out of calibration so I calibrated them very carefully double checking they were even. Even then when left and right were synced it would have that characteristic out of sync left side to right side "knock" so.....I changed left side sync to where it sounded in sync.
This brought left vacuum down almost 5" lower than right side.

Ok so now running the single carb with the 1200 cams, it was running richer on the right side (200 lb side) then the left. Plugs were black as could be.
This was odd considering the runners were damn near equal on both sides.

While talking to Joe on the phone we decided those cams gotta come out because it's an unknown variable so I put the 1000 cams back in.

Now with the 1000 cams and running the single the plugs are becoming tan. They are cleaning up.
It's run in the garage maybe 30 minutes total but not all at one time.

The vacuum is within a 1/2-1" of each other which tells me the runners are close enough to work, for test runs anyway.

Acceleration with the external alternator load is almost instant from idle to wide open throttle with no spit or popping. Much like when you drop the pedal to the floor on a old V8.
Idle is a bit lopey.

I can reduce idle speed with the idle speed screw down to below 500 rpm and further down to a stall.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the radiator bolted back in and take a test ride.
It sure doesn't feel like it will bog under load like it was with 1200 cams but will see.

I wonder if the one side of the 1200 cams is a tooth ahead due to the narrower 1100 block. It could have the same result as an offset key, advancing the valves closing point and increasing compression stroke.

yes eric I think this somehow this applys to us too in our builds but im still clueless as the last time we talk ....it was quite revealing when the compression figures came in rather even150 with the cam change :mrgreen: from the huge spresd before

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96991#p96991:1zj90fdd said:
ekvh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm[/url]":1zj90fdd]
I wonder if the one side of the 1200 cams is a tooth ahead due to the narrower 1100 block. It could have the same result as an offset key, advancing the valves closing point and increasing compression stroke.
This is highly unlikely as the cam pullies are still the same. If I had to guess I'd wonder if left and right 1200 cams might be timed a little different and still look the same. Maybe he has two cams made for just one side?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96994#p96994:23al33al said:
slabghost » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:39 pm[/url]":23al33al]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96991#p96991:23al33al said:
ekvh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm[/url]":23al33al]
This is highly unlikely as the cam pullies are still the same. If I had to guess I'd wonder if left and right 1200 cams might be timed a little different and still look the same. Maybe he has two cams made for just one side?
Possibly but they came from a guy parting a blown 1200 engine with both cam holders in a box.
Good thought, will have to check the parts fiche to see if right and left cams are different.

Latest posts