Single carb conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenWing

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 Goldwing Interstate
Ordered the VW carb and manifold conversion for my 84 GW Interstate, fed up with the picky carb issues when under 2500 RPMs, everything is clean jets and pilot screws but still the hesitation. I will be doing a video on installation and operation.

Yes looking forward to seeing this.
Ccheck the videos on You Tube for VW one carb conversions for 84 Honda goldwings, I figured it can't be that simple but its worth a try better than how its running now.

I have a 84 GW Interstate and I got tired of the hesitation, cleaning synching 4 carbs adjusting 4 carbs, I hope this one carb conversion is promising, I have everything just waiting for the manifold to come in Thursday, thanks for the link.

Here's the link to my conversion. I got a lot of really good advice from the other members of this forum. It was not difficult to convert, but time consuming, a lot of seat-of-pants tuning. Hope this helps you with your conversion - it's worth the change.
1975 GL1000 Single Carb Conversion

Later, Bud...
I finally got the manifold, and I stalled all parts on my 1200, you are right there is a lot of sitting and adjusting but it runs and slowly dialing everything in between the bypass screw and the fuel mixture screw. I did a video on my You Tube channel Max1Chase1 on the complete conversion.

FYI, for those who maybe interested in doing this conversion on a GL1000 or 1100, I have a extra manifold which was sent to me by mistake from Lithuania, I contacted the company and they immediately sent me the correct manifold for my 1200, so I have no need for this GL1000-1100 Goldwing so in interested contact me Via FB under my name Grayling Drummond, select the one with the Wolf head on it and send me an IM message.

FYI, for those who maybe interested in doing this conversion on a GL1000 or 1100, I have a extra manifold which was sent to me by mistake from Lithuania, I contacted the company and they immediately sent me the correct manifold for my 1200, so I have no need for this GL1000-1100 Goldwing so in interested contact me Via FB under my name Grayling Drummond, select the one with the Wolf head on it and send me an IM message.
Is the manifold still available? Where are you located and how much do you want for it?
thanks
Stosh

Is the manifold still available? Where are you located and how much do you want for it?
thanks
Stosh
Yes I still have it, I live in Newport News Va, send me an IM message on FB name is Grayling Drummond see wolf head as cover photo.

thanks
Stosh
Once you send me an IM on FB I will send yyou a photo of it, still new in the box.

I can't find the carb conversion video. The newest video is 4 years old and about Presetting the carbs on a ST1100.

Congratulation on the conversion. I had minimal luck with the adjustment screws; worked best when set to initial settings. Removing the choke - the choke makes it way too rich and makes jet changes very erratic. Once I tied the choke open the jetting was quite simple. My bike doesn't need choking when it 100* or 40*, and if you park the bike for more than an few minutes on the side-stand, you get flooding and must crank it with the throttle wide-open.

Keep us posted with your progress, Bud...

Thanks for the info Low Rider, I too will unplug my electric chock here in Va with this high temps and humidity, you are right the EMPI carb is picky on its adjustment maybe be a use its for a 1600CC VW and its on a 1200CC Honda, but I think I have chased the settings down, I believe the bike has to be trained on what it will be used for, so I took my 2 screw drivers and took the bike out for a test drive and it seemed to Recongnise its purpose by providing the cylinders what fuel they need under power, I stopped once in awhile and did adjustments on the volume screw every 1/4 a turn and drove again until it accepted the right setting. See the attached link for my You Tube channel of Max1Chase1 and thanks for watching in advance

Attachments

• 0801231257-1.jpg
    0801231257-1.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 0
I can't find the carb conversion video. The newest video is 4 years old and about Presetting the carbs on a ST1100.

Congratulation on the conversion. I had minimal luck with the adjustment screws; worked best when set to initial settings. Removing the choke - the choke makes it way too rich and makes jet changes very erratic. Once I tied the choke open the jetting was quite simple. My bike doesn't need choking when it 100* or 40*, and if you park the bike for more than an few minutes on the side-stand, you get flooding and must crank it with the throttle wide-open.

Keep us posted with your progress, Bud...
I talked to some VW mechanics and they all told me the carb is doing its job for a 1600 and that is why I am getting the rich mixture and I should get a H30/31PICT, I did and it is a bit better but still rich, it idles fine but under power there is a hesitation unless I increase the air but that raises the idle RPM, it has a 120 main jet so I will replace it with the 127.5 from the EMPI 134 Carb and see how that performs and if it still needs some more help I also have a 130 jet to try. I wish a bike mechanic who has figured this delemma out and share it for other to get the proper adjustments.

I talked to some VW mechanics and they all told me the carb is doing its job for a 1600 and that is why I am getting the rich mixture and I should get a H30/31PICT, I did and it is a bit better but still rich, it idles fine but under power there is a hesitation unless I increase the air but that raises the idle RPM, it has a 120 main jet so I will replace it with the 127.5 from the EMPI 134 Carb and see how that performs and if it still needs some more help I also have a 130 jet to try. I wish a bike mechanic who has figured this delemma out and share it for other to get the proper adjustments.
I have an 82 1100 GW I run a 134 carb with a 145 main jet(the one inside the bowl) and 40 pilot jet.(the one on the side of carb). I have2000 miles on it now works great.

Latest posts