Single carb conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just uploaded a update video on my You Tube channel of Max1Chase1 on how the 1200 runs after changing the gas octane from 93 to 87 and switching out Carb jets and carburetor, again not looking for views and not being paid by You Tube this is real guy business working on real guy bikes for each other.

Not sure where you all are buying your carbs but I buy and restore 81 to 83 GL1100's exclusively and unless I have a customer who specifically ask for stock rebuilt carbs and is willing to pay the extra $300 for overhaul and balance on them, I convert every one to 34 pic 3 carbs. Below is the link to the carbs I purchase from Amazon and it's the cheapest on the web! Comes with an extra set of jets which I install immediately and I've never had a problem with even one. I used to get the same one from ebay but can get it a lot faster from Amazon for less money. Do note however, before installation I completely disassemble every new carb and give it 30 min in the ultrasonic cleaner, rinse and blow out. You wouldn't believe the stuff left in a new carb!

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-V...fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685&th=1

I switched the gas from 93 octane to 87, found out the Intakes get cold and effecting the atomization of the fuel mixture, so I took some windshield reflective material and made a shroud over the intakes to keep the heat from the engine around the intakes to maintain the fuel atomization from a liquid state to the gaseous state for proper combustion, I am getting better warm up operation and good fuel atomization, the engine heat surrounds the intakes and keeps them warm. I did a double layer of reflective material with a cardboard center, it consist of 2 pieces one for the left side and one for the right and group them together at the carburetor intake connection, I also removed my air scoop to maintain as much heat for proper air temperature. This new technique has added to the performance to this carburetor performing as it should..
1010231754c.jpg
1010231754a.jpg
1010231754b.jpg

Ok guys,preliminary report on my h30/31 install yesterday.bike fired right up,idled well and when i goosed the throttle it revved cleanly and settled down nicely.so far im pleased.will try to do a ride this weekend.

Ok guys,preliminary report on my h30/31 install yesterday.bike fired right up,idled well and when i goosed the throttle it revved cleanly and settled down nicely.so far im pleased.will try to do a ride this weekend.
Great that is working so far for you, but I think that the carb can keep up without being under power but I have come to the conclusion that during start off the idle jet controls the gas flow up to 2500 + rpms and after that the main jet takes over, this I have experienced when I had the 55 mm idle jet and had hesitation, increased the idle jet to a 65mm and hesitation decreased, I saw on You Tube and guy bored his idle jet to a .008 using a micro drill bit, I went to Harbor Freight and brought a set, I will bore my 65mm out the next size and see how that does during take off, my main jet is a 127.5 and that provides great gas flow where the bike takes off like a bat when over 2500 rpms so I look for the same response by boring out the idle jet. Will update once done to this page and my video on My channel on You Tube of Max1Chase1.

Great that is working so far for you, but I think that the carb can keep up without being under power but I have come to the conclusion that during start off the idle jet controls the gas flow up to 2500 + rpms and after that the main jet takes over, this I have experienced when I had the 55 mm idle jet and had hesitation, increased the idle jet to a 65mm and hesitation decreased, I saw on You Tube and guy bored his idle jet to a .008 using a micro drill bit, I went to Harbor Freight and brought a set, I will bore my 65mm out the next size and see how that does during take off, my main jet is a 127.5 and that provides great gas flow where the bike takes off like a bat when over 2500 rpms so I look for the same response by boring out the idle jet. Will update once done to this page and my video on My channel on You Tube of Max1Chase1.
I am running 34/3 with 40 idol jet drilled slightly ( less than 45) and a 145 main jet . it pulls good all the way through. plugs show a little rich. its a 82 1100 I have 3000 miles on this set up,very happy with it.

Not sure where you all are buying your carbs but I buy and restore 81 to 83 GL1100's exclusively and unless I have a customer who specifically ask for stock rebuilt carbs and is willing to pay the extra $300 for overhaul and balance on them, I convert every one to 34 pic 3 carbs. Below is the link to the carbs I purchase from Amazon and it's the cheapest on the web! Comes with an extra set of jets which I install immediately and I've never had a problem with even one. I used to get the same one from ebay but can get it a lot faster from Amazon for less money. Do note however, before installation I completely disassemble every new carb and give it 30 min in the ultrasonic cleaner, rinse and blow out. You wouldn't believe the stuff left in a new carb!

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-V...fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685&th=1

I am running 34/3 with 40 idol jet drilled slightly ( less than 45) and a 145 main jet . it pulls good all the way through. plugs show a little rich. its a 82 1100 I have 3000 miles on this set up,very happy with it.
But does that smaller idle jet eliminate the hesitation when,gear power is added during start off

Latest posts