Stator time

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Who's had to change a stator on a GL1200? I'm facing this task after an aftermarket part that was wired wrong caused a burnout. Any tips tricks or advice? Does the engine Have to come All the way out? Can it just be loosened up and moved around enough to clear that cover removal? Thank you for your advice and comments

Attachments

• 20220917_114307.jpg
    20220917_114307.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
Stator removal is easiest with engine removed. There have been forum threads mentioning that it can be done in situ by canting the engine on an angle so you work from the left side. If you have to go this far might as well take out the engine. You appear to have a good work space. The manual and others will mention draining the engine oil. Good idea; however, not all the oil comes out. There is a small amount remaining in the rear engine case that will drain out when you remove this cover. A tin pan under the cover when you remove it will catch the oil and not make a mess - BTDT.

While you have the cover off, clean the engine compartment. The clutch slave should be removed and cleaned, it will have dirt/crud in it. Check the clutch as well. The starter clutch can be cleaned as well.

Good time to remove, clean, lube and reinstall the centre stand with the exhaust off.

New stator, think about a rectifier/regulator (RR) upgrade from the OEM shunt model to a series RR. Good short or long term investment.

If you have thoughts about the cleanliness of the rear brake MC, now is the time to rebuild it. Most interference items are out of the way.

I use Honda Bond 4 for surface to surface sealing, and on gaskets - good stuff. Honda mentions in its service manual that you do not have to use a gasket sealant on the entire rear cover gasket. Highly recommended to do so with the Honda Bond 4 or equivalent. I did what the manual said and had a small oil leak, engine out, new gasket and sealant all round - leak gone. Use the Honda Bond 4 on the engine case and cover, install gasket.

While you have the exhaust off, check the exhaust ports for old exhaust gaskets. People have a habit of not removing all the old exhaust gaskets. There could be a build up of old exhaust gaskets.

With the engine out, lets you get into the areas of the engine that are not readily accessible with the engine installed. One of these is the front water pump cover. Lots of spots for crud/dirt to accumulate.

Check the shifter oil seal. May need to be replaced.

New stator wire connector. These wires can be soldered, but not necessary. A good, high amperage waterproof connector from a marine supplier will work fine and probably outlast you and your ride. Lots on Amazon and eBay as well. Lets you disconnect the stator from the wiring harness should you need to remove the engine at a later date instead of cutting wires.

Have had my '85 GL1200 Limited Edition engine out several times and did a complete rebuild during the C-19 issue.

Good luck as you go forward. Will follow.

Cheers

The company that sold the defective part is ignoring me so I'm on my own. I got this bike from a friend after the head gaskets started leaking. I replaced the top end gaskets and seals and all associated o-rings. Also I replaced the water pump, timing belts and thermostat. While doing all that I rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder and the rear brake caliper as well. I have purchased a new voltage regulator for installation with my new stator. The bikes weight and engine weight make it difficult to do. I suppose using my engine hoist is what I'll have to do to support the bike but the engine transmission is too heavy to pop out and manipulate. I'm hoping only a small amount of movement will be necessary and a rolling floor jack for transmission removal will be adequate. I really don't want to try to disconnect everything 😕. I'm not fond of working on a bike due to so much being packed into such a small space, it's difficult to get it to fit back together sometimes although the '86 I have really isn't all that bad to work on I've learned.

allow me to add to REDNAX post. . . . um............BEER!
i changed my stator last winter. i tried it with engine in frame. what a pain in da back. took engine out, was a breeze.
BTW use yamabond 4. hehe

Who's had to change a stator on a GL1200? I'm facing this task after an aftermarket part that was wired wrong caused a burnout. Any tips tricks or advice? Does the engine Have to come All the way out? Can it just be loosened up and moved around enough to clear that cover removal? Thank you for your advice and comments
My method for GL1000 engine removal is to strip the frame down, and take the frame off of the engine. I would first make sure the stator is actually bad, and not just connectors.
See my Po Boy Conversion DIY easy to do on my You Tube channel of Max1chase1 in a 7 Part series so you can select what you need to do or see how to do a segment. Hope it helps.

See my Po Boy Conversion DIY easy to do on my You Tube channel of Max1chase1 in a 7 Part series so you can select what you need to do or see how to do a segment. Hope it helps.
I also have a brand new stator for a 1200 to whoever wants it, I have no need for it, I did the Po Boy conversion and is doing fine.

Latest posts