Supercharged GL1000 Build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160388#p160388:2tj7w65z said:
charles franz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:02 pm[/url]":2tj7w65z]
Unless you are IN their group, Your ideas do not count, Nice looking ride!!! I was accused of being drunk, But I am a full BLOWN insulin dependent diabectic!! What a world we live in.
Diabetes is no joke, my wife was on the pump for 10 plus years. Hope your HBA1C staying in range. Rubber side down always. .! :hi:

Randakk looking forward to your build, keep us posted, btw Gates blue Racing belt you recommended to me a while back on the SOHC board has worked out very well over the Gates Green stripe, Thanks for the tip !

We hope the new supercharged bike approaches the exhaust note of this awesome bike.

By the way, with a ROOKIE rider, this bike won a Vintage Superbike Heavyweight race at Road America last year. Being a little down on cornering speed was no problem. Will Brint walked away from all competitors on RA's super long straights.

Attachments

• Will Brint CBx with Randakk sponsorship.jpg
    Will Brint CBx with Randakk sponsorship.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 558
Nice CBX and impressive Pilot ! found this 79 Z twin shock Russ Collins Dragbike in a barn stored for 12 years by accident, thought about going back to original condition ....NOT !!! making a Pro Street bike and keeping the Spoke widened Kosmans wheels and wheelie bars for this Lightweight frame-off restoration , it's Saturday and i will be working on it today.

joedrum":1mun2x2m said:
ok duster your right to a point ..but a naturally aspirated like a oldwing motor is present huge problems ..they have to much compression ...for a supercharger to get high performance and mpg ..the motor has to be made low compression where it is dependent on supercharger to run ...when like that they will boost big and be efficient.....but a high revving oldwing motor is none of that at all and high boost is not possible really and neither is efficientcy.....it is why i never even entertained the idea ...the whole motor has to change for it to work good ....but i could buiild one if i had the means and desire too
Joe,you are correct

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160424#p160424:1o3b0zcl said:
Fstsix » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:19 am[/url]":1o3b0zcl]
Nice CBX and impressive Pilot ! found this 79 Z twin shock Russ Collins Dragbike in a barn stored for 12 years by accident, thought about going back to original condition ....NOT !!! making a Pro Street bike and keeping the Spoke widened Kosmans wheels and wheelie bars for this Lightweight frame-off restoration , it's Saturday and i will be working on it today.

Nice CBX! Reminds me of my supercharged CBX ...which I miss!

Attachments

• Randakks Supercahrged CBX.jpg
    Randakks Supercahrged CBX.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 518
I've spent 10 years designing, building and advising on boosted-aspiration motorcycles. Based on my experience, the original GoldWing is one of the very best platforms for these projects.

In fact, the GoldWing engine is ideal. The flat-4 physical lay-out solves many complex "packaging" issues. Liquid cooling is a plus to handle thermal issues. Best of all: the engine internals are incredibly "overbuilt" and will easily handle 8psi with without the need for any modification. Other engines (like my CBX above) usually need better pistons and rods for serious boosted duty.

Here's an example of one of the fastest GL1000s ever built. My friend Ken Sperry was a GM engineer involved with the development of every Corvette engine until he retired.

"Back in the day" - Ken's Turbo GL1000 ran 10.42 @ 140+ quarter miles at 15p.s.i. Ken never fully got developed it as it was a "handful" for him to ride even with the wheelie bar he added later. :) The bike ran quite reliably with stock engine internals!

Ken is the currently the owner on the Bonneville race team I help sponsor which runs a record-holding supercharged Triumph 650.

https://www.randakksblog.com/sperry-lackey-sponsorship/

Attachments

• Ken Sperry Turbo GL1000.jpg
    Ken Sperry Turbo GL1000.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 517
Eventually, this supercharged GL1000 will probably become the fastest GL1000 ever.

Currently, it is the class record holder in the East Coast Timing Association which runs in Ohio. That record was achieved with a junkyard engine, head gasket issues, a broken air shifter and a serious ignition malfunction.

We think these "teething issues are mostly resolved now.

However, 2 straight years of "bad salt" which cancelled the events at Bonneville have prevented us from finding out what it will really do. We hope to run it in 2016.

Attachments

• Winston Bonneville racer.jpg
    Winston Bonneville racer.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 504
unlimited fluff in oldwing with supercharger dose not negate the basic problem the motor is not built to get best out of supercharging randakks ...i could modify and old motor to get 10 plus boost and the efficiency would climb to the top .....this is not what i think its what ive done and have in a car .....like my bike hooch ive been all over it ...intercooler ...FI fuel...boost to 12 pounds and burn rubber past all legal hi way speeds ..i know what im talking about ..ive own the car a couple decades now .....transmissions are huge problem as torque is so great ...the air to air intercooler get so mean at speed it will scare anyone above 100mph as it power is so great there drivetranes just cant deal with it ...and it gets 30 mpg as average the whole time ive had it ....the motor was built low compression and wont even run without supercharger working for lack of compression in simple terms overall..... :popcorn:

its like on single carb builds everyone figures heat is necessary....when i reach down and my runners are cool on my non turbo charged hooch bike ...with its flow rate as is i know the bike is going to kick ass and dose ...cause the natural oldwing fits this best as in power per buck....and my bike is at the driveline top capability already ..... :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160520#p160520:15vak2ea said:
joedrum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:54 am[/url]":15vak2ea]
unlimited fluff in oldwing with supercharger dose not negate the basic problem the motor is not built to get best out of supercharging randakks ...i could modify and old motor to get 10 plus boost and the efficiency would climb to the top .....this is not what i think its what ive done and have in a car .....like my bike hooch ive been all over it ...intercooler ...FI fuel...boost to 12 pounds and burn rubber past all legal hi way speeds ..i know what im talking about ..ive own the car a couple decades now .....transmissions are huge problem as torque is so great ...the air to air intercooler get so mean at speed it will scare anyone above 100mph as it power is so great there drivetranes just cant deal with it ...and it gets 30 mpg as average the whole time ive had it ....the motor was built low compression and wont even run without supercharger working for lack of compression in simple terms overall..... :popcorn:

its like on single carb builds everyone figures heat is necessary....when i reach down and my runners are cool on my non turbo charged hooch bike ...with its flow rate as is i know the bike is going to kick ass and dose ...cause the natural oldwing fits this best as in power per buck....and my bike is at the driveline top capability already ..... :popcorn:

Joe:

Respectfully, with regard to the suitability of supercharging GL1000s, you are plain wrong on these issues. I speak from actual experience.

Read this book from cover to cover:

from Whitehorse Press:

"Motorcycle Turbocharging, Supercharging and Nitrous Oxide" by Joe Haile
Copyright 1997, 2000 (ISBN 1-884313-07-8)

Absorb and understand the physics and math (as I do), then get back to me. :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160519#p160519:39cczchu said:
Randakk » 41 minutes ago[/url]":39cczchu]
Eventually, this supercharged GL1000 will probably become the fastest GL1000 ever.

Currently, it is the class record holder in the East Coast Timing Association which runs in Ohio. That record was achieved with a junkyard engine, head gasket issues, a broken air shifter and a serious ignition malfunction.

We think these "teething issues are mostly resolved now.

However, 2 straight years of "bad salt" which cancelled the events at Bonneville have prevented us from finding out what it will really do. We hope to run it in 2016.
file.php

Good stuff for a Sunday morning with coffee, thanks for the pictures ! I have seen both your Blown Wing and Blown CBX..and your sale on the web...that's got to be hard to let go ! but i understand that's your business, wish i could have back all the cool stuff i built and sold in my old years, I ran Turbo Sandrails VW motors for years in the West coast back in the early 1980's , at the same time Raced offshore boats and V-drive circle Race boats pulling Water skiers over 100+ mph for the USA 2nd Place to Catalina Island and back representing America 1989 . new a guy with a GL about 15 years ago unofficial 156 mph at Bonneville..https://www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/gen_ ... nevalk.htm and what they heck 28 years ago and my 2275 Turbo Rail my 1971 Vega had a small block with a 671 Blower also been doing forced induction for 35 years and Nitrious for the last 20 years ..damn slow jet clogged again on my Sidedraft weber lol 1987

look im not attacking anyone im giving my views on supercharging period and i was responding to duster post is all sheesh ...i know what it takes to make supercharger efficient as in power and mpg is all and i spelled it out ...thats it sorry if anyone thinks it was something different ... :popcorn:

Good stuff for a Sunday morning with coffee, thanks for the pictures ! I have seen both your Blown Wing and Blown CBX..and your sale on the web...that's got to be hard to let go ! but i understand that's your business, wish i could have back all the cool stuff i built and sold in my old years, I ran Turbo Sandrails VW motors for years in the West coast back in the early 1980's , at the same time Raced offshore boats and V-drive circle Race boats pulling Water skiers over 100+ mph for the USA 2nd Place to Catalina Island and back representing America 1989 . new a guy with a GL about 15 years ago unofficial 156 mph at Bonneville..https://www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/gen_ ... nevalk.htm

Thanks Yes. That Valk was sweet!

...and - I've regretted (to one degree or another) every bike I've ever sold! :)

OK one more for Sunday morning ..This guy rides the $hit outa this thing here in New England..always run into him at events , he has Butterflies in the end of his dragpipes with a Cable hooked to his throttle to keep back pressure, they open when throttle is applied ..Dig this backyard Burt Monroe stuff lol Supercharged CBX

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160533#p160533:2jqt98zz said:
Fstsix » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:08 am[/url]":2jqt98zz]
OK one more for Sunday morning ..This guy rides the $hit outa this thing here in New England..always run into him at events , he has Butterflies in the end of his dragpipes with a Cable hooked to his throttle to keep back pressure, they open when throttle is applied ..Dig this backyard Burt Monroe stuff lol Supercharged CBX 18.photobucket.com/user/meloafer/media/carshow032.jpg.html]
carshow032.jpg
[/url]

Yes. I'm familiar with that CBX although I've never seen it in person. He did a great job with that bike!

On my CBX, I used a much smaller, narrower blower (62 cubic inch) that allowed me to drive off the jackshaft (at the normal alternator location). That kept the whole bike much narrower vs. the normal option of driving off the crank.

The smaller blower also meant I had no low speed back pressure issues to solve.

The bike was wicked fast and actually pretty scary to ride. To make it more manageable for street riding, I eventually reduced the drive ratio to deliver only 4psi max boost ...still VERY entertaining. It made max boost from a very low rpm level so it was very locomotive like.

Here's the supercharged Triumph mentioned above that I'm involved with.

Neatest part about this bike: the rider (Rosie Lackey, Jr.) is 75+ years old and a true inspiration to me!

Attachments

• 736889_10152377481885276_608419865_o.jpg
    736889_10152377481885276_608419865_o.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 529
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160541#p160541:1o2ao3pz said:
Randakk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 am[/url]":1o2ao3pz]
Here's the supercharged Triumph mentioned above that I'm involved with.

Neatest part about this bike: the rider (Rosie Lackey, Jr.) is 75+ years old and a true inspiration to me!
file.php
:good: :salute:

Latest posts