The full story of the Hooch build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,

As a comparison, if you have not ridden a Stock good running GL1200 Lately, it may be good for comparison purposes, if somebody has one for sale locally.

that way you could come home a do a ride on hooch and get a really good idea of the seat of pants differences. Butt dyno

thanks west a lot said there ....as far as driveshaft gose ...i just need to grind through the harden steel at the splines and output shaft ...to slip pin it and furrow over it with rubber hose something that works it right then it will be easy off easy on .....got front brake problems need rebuild kit ...im thinking good from there ....i assure you there will be night and day difference between stock 1200 and this one ....you the tallest final drive in stock 1200 now running lowest final drive .....cool thing is i got a stock 1200 in a 1100 bike right now about half done ....the seat of the pants is the best tool there is ....

Oh definitely,

It will be faaast! & Fun!!

It will be nice to come up along side a GL12 and pull away from a stop.

Nice work

In my opinion you have what I like the best out of all of the GL 4-cylinder series Bike's.

Don't get wrong I Really Like them all, but you took the best from each.

I like the,
GL11 Carbs they seem the best, to me, no plastic button to deal with, they are just sooo Smoooth and linear, and have a longer pull length, I also like the looks of the GL11 carbs better than the GL10 or GL12, the GL12 carbs are much more abrupt with a shorter pull length

There is no substitute for CC's, GL1200 wins that catagory

I am not sure on the GL10 heads and cam in the GL1200, that is where your riding experience with your new Frankenwing will tell it all

When i was building My brother in laws 75' GL10, In checking all numbers, it had the correct block, heads, and Cams, but the carbs from a GL11, When i mentioned that to my brother in law and trying to yield the most out of it and to match the hot cam in it I had to source some 75' carbs, found some at a cycle salvage yard not too far from my house.

My brother in law also wanted something different as far as colors goes

Attachments

• P1010223 Compress 398k.jpg
    P1010223 Compress 398k.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010240 Compressed.jpg
    P1010240 Compressed.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010250Compress 298k.jpg
    P1010250Compress 298k.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 111
wow thats nice .....and yes if they made 1100 carbs as big as the 75 there no telling how much better they could be .....it gets down to execution time really ...1100 carbs win here bigtime ...bigger 1000 carbs better be realy on it not to get blown away ....valk carbs are even smaller than 1200 carbs ....wont be long ill know a lot ....im just glad that now there solid proof it works and what you have to do

Well it is what My brother in law wanted, those are the colors he Forced me, a, had me paint for him.

I painted the whole bike and we even got the kick starter to work, most things were frozen on that bike, like engine, all brakes

Joe

I just listened to that video you made that Dan put on you tube.

T H A T B E A S T!! S O U N D S G R E A T ! ! !

Very powerful sounding, I would like to hear how it sounds out side and in person.

You went from a touring bike to a sprinter.

I hope you are up for it, all the punishment i mean, that thing is going to be pulling your arms so hard that your knuckles will be draggin the ground soon. LOL!!!

:smilie_happy: i can think of worse ways to go out :smilie_happy: ...yes i was amazed that it ran so well ...like you said i study info good and bad ...opinions good and bad ....ridiculed cause it took so long .....to the point i began to feel i knew more than the doubters by far .....so i went slow...came up with the idea of switching cams in the 2 very good running 1100s without taking heads off somewhere there's a thread on that too ....that turned out really successful ...the bikes were great runners and perfect test subjects ....the first pics of hooch motor i was going to use was modified 1200 heads to use 371 cams ...that motor is still together but the valves will hit if it ever ran so i stopped on it took me awhile to figure valve clearance in a way i thought was reliable ...so in the mean time it came to me through dans post on the differences on 1200s and it started to come clear that it might be easy to put a 84 1200 in a 1100 dan near plug and play ....so i found and 84 motor for hmmm cant remember but got it and installed it in the 1100 hoping the rear ignition of 1100 would plug and play on the 84 1200 ...that bike is together and running ... the motor was a real good running motor ....gamble on all aspects i came out great ....bike needs all the little things done that are so big to me cause im never going to get funds ahead in my condition ....brakes seals springs a total spinal upgrade for bike and me too ....there's hope for the bike anyway so then i turned to hooch build cause it was the best back bone bike i had and and went after it like a dog on a bone when a friend sent me head gaskets for the 1100 that are the same as 1200 gaskets hooch went fast from there ... i wish i could compete with some others work ....like yours wes but truth is i'm having health problems that pretty much keeps me from playing in to many chems no matter what so ... so there's alot in the hooch build besides me ..the build turn out to be the reason this forum is my home ...there were many here i'm sure that thought no way but they held faith in me they never met ...hooch turned out to be model project here and defines our forum purpose just results and the whole crowd here behind it .....i hope i can hang on to the bike and more drum playing ..i'm still very good ....so i fought the big battle many times ... i live half my life to the fullest ...the other half is real torture ....i haven't been outside for a week and that could turn into a month easy ....i'm happy your back ...maybe you might be able to come to the meet and greet here at my house in august ...as soon as i can go outside and healthy enough i'm going to solve hooches front brake funds and driveshaft stuff ...i'm like a caged wild animal with rabies i want out :head bang: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

new is hooch has a set of 77 carbs on it ...and took it for a ride today ...bike needs adjusted ...but oh man this bike has a ton of power ....sheesh it was cold ...seems hooch can get you fright zone at first twist of the throttle on ....what a bike

well the ignition switch went bad in hooch ....no telling how many side issue this cause all along on this bike ...seems it finally went south powering the relay on ignition and lights ....replaced the switch with another I had ....seems to have worked ...now im dialing in the new carbs ....i seem to have it better now ...sheesh one thing for sure ...it seems to like them a lot ...kind of a lumpy idle right at about 900 but when throttle is twisted its instance response bigtime ....wont know for sure till I ride it later if its close to right ....what a looonnggggg road to a bad ignition switch :shock: im hoping this hop scotch around chaseing wiring problems is coming to and end :headscratch: :mrgreen:

Joe do you have only 1 relay for the ignition and the lights? I am glad that you found your switch fault as it is quite unusual for one to fail once you have bypassed all the current with relays

the one relay powers ignition ...lights were still on keyswitch ....im thinking of doing the lights on relay too ....it was when id ride the bike that the switch would mess with the ignition ...I think the lights are brighter too with the changed key switch .....this bike sat for twenty yrs or more and the wiring was in bad shape ....and when things are all sorted out it needs going over good in the electrical...ive got a lot of time in chasing the problems so far :cheeky: getting there slowly :mrgreen:

If you add the extra relays then the ignition switch will be carrying about a 20th of the current and doesn't really need to be in that good of condition to work perfectly :good:

Looks good joe, man you work fast. I got a question since your working on the stator. I know the 1200 has a small hole to allow oil into the stator area and it runs wet. Does the 1100 or the 1000 run wet also. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the 1200 was the first to run oil with the stator and if anybody knows it's you.

it was hard for me to figure out mike ...one thing for sure its total different between the two ...looks like you might be right its so differenti cant see it doing things the same ....I couldn't tell much for here cause 1200 is zipped up now ...but if you look at the two cases in the stator thread they sure are different ...the butt covers anyway ...never went any deeper than that

Joe, what do you think the redline on that is going to be? Do you remember how far you pulled it the first few runs? I am thinking it's good to 9k, maybe more with the solid lifters. Getting some paint spilled on mine finally. Soon I will get some noise out of it, hopefully.

my tack sucks ekvh ...I have it hooked up now but its operating slowwww !!!!....so don't have clue for sure but ...the way this bike is running ive never had a wing rev so fast instantly ....its obvious to me that this motor is capable to rev out super high rpm ...nothing about its nature to do anything else ...this is the best running wing motor ive ever been around period ....it has a limiter ...its when your bottom end lets go in your pants .... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: oh my :hihihi:

Latest posts