The hooch bike SCC review and redo project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes and if i can dial it in ..im sure its going to be even more powerful maybe ..still trying to get stator ordered ...for sure need a fuel pump too to get the proper feed to carb

yup stator trouble is huge on a oldwing the whole motor out thing makes it that way ...but the good news is i got the 57$ stator ordered ..its coming from the same place the clutch master did ..that product seems great great so far ..so ill give it a go on the stator also ..lot of work but im glad i got a chance to fix it now ...

im also glad that one day ill change to the 84 motor ..it will be even taller geared for travel road trips ...not sure how much taller ..seems im at 4000rpm at 80mph ...be nice to drop a 100 or more rpm off that ...84 1200 is a one year only deal :builder:

been looking at fuel pumps and it seems none actuall hook u the same as honda fuel pump dose ...but a 5-9 pounds pressure flow pump can be had for 20$...im thinking that what i need to get enough gas to carb maybe ..carb is sure jetted very huge from stock set up for a car excpet for primary barrel idle jet ...

On the second '85 LTD that I had, 3900/4000 RPM is around 80 MPH as well.

Two things working in your favour for fuel, the fuel head when tank is full, and the fuel pump. 5-9 lbs should be good. You could also put in a higher pressure fuel pump that has a fuel pressure regulator attached/incorporated.

1200s have fuel pumps to compensate for the fuel tank level as it decreases. As long as the fuel tank is relatively full, no need for a pump.

Cheers

Agreed the 2-3 lb mechanical pump doesn’t work well on a single carb. Once I started using a 5 lb minimum pump to supply enough pressure with volume, it became easier to adjust mixtures, especially the idle mix screw. Variations went away.

well the work begins ,,had some issues with the carb it seems...seems I made a float change that I need to improve on ...seems I went a bit to far maybe and need too backup some so I will ....but its motor out time for sure ..need to change the stator

well work on the bike carb today trying to adjust to this motor and its higher compression ,,to atart out with the idle air had to maxed out to come close to being lean enough to work ….oh by the way ..took the plugs out and all the plugs were way rich looking ...so im assuming higher comrpession gets more suction from the carb ….so I had to max out the air to the joedrum separate idle circuit mod I made on this weber carb … also had the cut the gas jets down also ..for the day I rigged them smaller didn't actually change the jets size yet ..I cleaned up the plugs also when I had them out earlier ... also readjusted the throttle plate opening at rest on the secondary barrel ..all tis made a huge difference ...sheesh bike has torque off idle than it ever had it seems ...going out the driveway dam near got scary ..when I back off the motor has so much ompression it barks the tire ..all this happen before getting to the street or in a 100ft id say ...bike leaps forward after turning on the road and again it powers pass my lean aim and tugging hard to the side from the shaft drive effect ,,im like not hardly giving it gas at all ...second gear does the same thing pull extremely hard wit no gas hardly sheesh ...at the stop sign I turn left and straiten up gave it a bit of gas it really responds and from there i gave it some juice and it took off bigtime ..hit second and gave it a bit more touching the secondary a bit ..im sure i ws just short of pulling the wheel up with no where near full secondary ...but then the bike acted like its been doing like it straving for gas ...from there i just crised with it but i couls tell it gets to road speed easy ...when i got home something strange happen it seemed like it was charging again ..the hidelight wasn't diming when i turn the turn signal on sheesh i wonder if running it today ungrounded the stator somehow be nice if it did but i cant hardly believe that happen ill find out tomorrow it was getting dark and i just went inside and done for the day

on the down side the motor is knocking now i found out where by unplugging the wires one at a time then back on till i got to right side as sitting on bike and back cylinder the knock quit ,,,so im thinking wrist pin on that cylinder maybe :builder: :thanks:

well now so far the stator has come back to life … so now im im working on getting the carb more dial in and working right for this high compression motor it has … and just ride it for awhile ..it sure is running strong but still cutting off on it seems even before secondary it seems ,,,im sort of got things in play here my gas tank is old and it was coated yrs ago could be stop up some in its feed out of the tank maybe ..I will try and look into this some today first before doing any more carb work ..this just a guess I don't have any proof this is going on really ….but it is where gas atarts from …

tricking the carb yesterday reallmade some huge power over what is was doing ..going to check out plugs too ..I only went about 10 miles though ..but should see something different from yesterday … I hope the stator keeps working thank you Jesus ... :builder:

hmmm seems I lost a post here ..but most likely it was me ...yesterday I did some more work to the carb ...I improved on my idle circuit mod ..that makes this carb have 5 different adjustable circuits to adjust ….I had to bring even more air to the idle circuit when idling and and carb plates closed basically ...im totally amaze of much suction is going on through that tiny hole where the idle mix screw used to be … wow ….I moved the idle gas feed to a different spot and made a home made jet to cut the flow of gas going to where the mix screw was as it was way to big for the modded motor of the bike ,,, ifound a way to make even more air come to this mix screw spot to lean the mixture even more than I had it set up to before ..this seems to have worked hugely in the right direction ….today im going one step further and introduce this this extra air to the air filter area ...I call this the carb balancer ive done this before … what this dose is when the throttlle is applied its stops the air flow to the idle circuit as the main carb air flow over takes the pull of the idle pull and stops this air and then this should richen up the charge when under throttle ..witch It seems to need ,,, the carb air balancer is a neat thing to me and totally of my own hands and mind …. but like we all know here when motor is changed like I did by shaving the block ,,many things must be change to adjust to the difference ...so today il actually finish what I started yesterday since the improvement warrants it ….

just fixed things up and went for small ride …. well the carb balancer mod completed in its new setting sure did work great …. bike is way smooth idling about 1100to 1200 rpm seems to like that the best ..off throttle response is instant and sort of frame wrenching right off idle and not much gas at all ...like a mean farm tractor .. primary barrel response is nothing short of amazing power and will get you 6000 rpm like now ….. and the other thing noticed is less knocking ,,,this seems to be happening the better I get it running ….I did get it to cut out again like it was straving for gas …..but im thinking my next move is to get new plugs ...with the c5 triple spark they could be what is failing …..be nice if this was the deal here …..even if it makes my previous thoughts wrong …. bike is still charging great ….. oh another thing im noticing is there is absolutely no gas smell so im expecting great mpg figures when I can complete a test all the way through LOL I seems to always drop the ball here ..short is my best expectation in the memory department

fired it up today from cold start ….no throttle twist and crank up fine from idle position ..so things are looking really good ..just need to figure out what going on when it shutting down like it does ….is it fuel feed ...is it plugs ...or is it maybe C5 problems seems to be all the possibilities im thinking …

just got back from a ride …..this ride is starting to tell me that the remaining problem is looking very much like gas fed related and load on motor ….there is quit a load on motor in very low rpm and at lots of throttle ,,,,, when the bike cut out I can pull the clutch in and under no load rev it up and down and seems to fill the carb up and it goes good or comes back to life ….im thinking the fuel pump geared with the motor is just not able to keep up under the most load condition ...it also seems to backfire once in the higher rpm shut down s making me think its get way lean then shuts down … so again im leaning towards gas starvation and blaming the fuel pump...th hooch bike carb feed is at the very top of the carb and about at the same height as the top of the gas tank so there never any gravity feed going to the motor like bike with stock carbs ….the bike seems to run to well to me to be other problems but of course this is just my hunch on it now …

I’m betting on the 2-3 lb pump just not enough pressure for the carb float and needle. That was the case on mine. I forget what’s recommended for that carb, 5-9 lbs? It sure ain’t 2-3 I’m certain of that.

And, the phenolic check valves in those old pumps are well aged. No replacements available (that I've found). Electric pumps are cheap and everywhere (ebay has lots).

it knocks V ..seems like a wrist pin but it is getting quieter the better I get the carb dial in ..its totally amazing what shaving the block down did to the carb dial in .. im getting close now and it way different from before ...just need stronger fuel pump to feed is where im at ..I will ride the bike like this for now I don't think its going to fly apart …

Latest posts