(UK) 1977 GL1000 Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmg

Reaction score
Hi - I recently won on Ebay a 1977 GL1000 Goldwing, and I plan to either restore the bike or turn it in to something else. The bike currently looks like this....

$(KGrHqJ,!mIE5YJr7RRwBOcPtndjW!~~60_12.JPG

I will be taking pretty much all of the "touring" stuff off of the bike including the fairing, panniers, racks, topbox, seat, handlebars, etc and keeping it bare/naked.

A friend from the IronButt UK site who is a knowledgable chap regarding all things Goldwings reckons the carbs are actually off of a 1100 - if thats the case then I will need to replace those and sell the 1100 carbs. The bike is currently only firing on 3 of the 4 cylinders, and its likely the carbs are the culprits.

I plan to strip the bike down completely and rebuild from the frame up. I also plan on doing something with the engine casing if I can manage it (and if I can work out how to do it).

At the moment my thinking is that I would like to turn it in to something like this.....

honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer-2.jpg

honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer.jpg

I am going to collect the bike on Tuesday 27th September and will return them home on my new (aka 2nd hand) 3 bike trailer.

$(KGrHqJ,!joE5fJ2lmGtBOd5)7uCtQ~~_3.JPG

Today I have purchased a CYLMER workshop manual for my bike from a former owner of a GL1000 in Doncaster. He says the bike is a sublime ride with oodles of power. One thing for certain is that it will be an adventure!

Okay - last Tuesday with a 2am start :eek: Davey and myself headed down to Croydon, South London in order to collect my 3 bike trailer. Waking the seller up at 5:40am we hooked up the trailer and headed off around the M25 and under the Thames via the Dartford Tunnel. Arriving at Leigh-on-Sea (near Southend-on-Sea) at about 7:30am we had a hard time getting the seller of a GSX1100 (another project bike) out of his sack, but eventually succeeded and got the low rider on the trailer. Heading back towards London and South around the M25 (over the Dartford Bridge this time) we got caught up in the Traffic. With breakfast taken on the M3 we got to the New Forest where the GL1000 was holed up. Whilst on the M3 heading in to the New Forest Davey noticed the highest priced fuel either of us has seen before --- £1.76p/litre of Diesel (thats about £10 per UK gallon or $16+ for a US Gallon)! We had to reposition the GSX11 on the trailer in order to get the GL1000 on as well.

IMAG0566-761819.jpg

After the straps were checked and the tyre pressure pumped up correctly, we headed off back North. After a 16hr driving day we got back to my place. The GSX11 was psoition in the back yard and the Goldwing down the side of the house. Here are the first photos of the bike...

IMAG0567-763833.jpg

The bike appears to have a Vetter "Windjammer" screen on it - as well as a cassette/radion/CB unit wired in. The bike needs a fair bit of TLC, but the question is this....."Return it to a Goldwing Touring standard or a Goldwing Bobber?".

Today my parents arrived from Spain today for a visit and since I havent seen them in quite a few months, I did what any sane person would do and I left them in the house whilst I commenced stripping down the Goldwing.

SDC10730-734679.jpg

First things first - took the seat off. It actually is held on by 2 clamp bolts so it was a piece of cake. Next I wanted to tacklet the bikes fat ass. I removed the panniers....

SDC10749-761729.jpg

Next took the top box off....

SDC10753-782270.jpg

This allowed me to take the pannier | top box rail off (all the electrics where spliced in using bullet connectors under the seat) and unlike my Triumph Rocket III the rear light loom was run down the outside centre of the rear mudguard.

SDC10756-707386.jpg

Needed to summon my Dad out to help me remove the Vetter Windjammer fairiing.

SDC10758-790677.jpg

The fairing is a work of art - all the wiring loom is extended from the headlight via a single plug/socket connector in to the side of the fairing, so along with 4 bolts and disconnect the plug/socket, the fairing was off.

The bike is now almost back to stock.....

SDC10760-727785.jpg

What was interesting to note was all the nuts and bolts (without exception) came apart without rounding and being rusted on. A piece of cake. I actually thought what a 34yr old Triumph Rocket III might be like to dismantle knowing that bike (I have 2 of them) as I do ::)

The bike has a lot of surface rust, but apart from that there are no holes that can be seen at this stage and everything works in terms of electrics. The battery on the GL1000 is housed under the left side panel and is quite huge!

Next steps are to flip a coin to decide whether to do the stock restoration or go down the custom route.

2 things I need help with - 1st, are these carbs correct for a '77 GL1000?

Someone told me that these might be GL1100 Carbs. Any ideas?

SDC10740-775509.jpg

SDC10738-774559.jpg

SDC10739-775082.jpg

2nd - Anybody any idea what these are? Found them in the top box. Do they fit on the carbs as decorative bits?

SDC10745-714351.jpg

SDC10746-714921.jpg

SDC10747-713676.jpg

Yep, those are 1100 carbs and yes, decorative parts.

It looks like the vacuum advance port on number 3 carb has been plugged off with some sort of screw or something.
SDC10740-775509.jpg

Nice story so far, keep us updated.

dan filipi":3few8d1g said:
Yep, those are 1100 carbs and yes, decorative parts.

It looks like the vacuum advance port on number 3 carb has been plugged off with some sort of screw or something.

Thanks for that info. I am now entering "unknown" territory - can explain what a vacuum advance port is and is used for? Also, you say these are plugged up - what should it be setup like?

I suggest you clean and use the carburetors you have. They are on there because they work better than the originals.

slabghost":9zvtd4cr said:
I suggest you clean and use the carburetors you have. They are on there because they work better than the originals.

Are there any links to explain why these work better? Also, are there any "how to's" on how to clean and service the carbs here on the site?

Plenty of help here on those carbs. The vacuum advance port is needed on the 1100 motors so it is right to be plugged for use on your bike. The original carbs have issues with slides gouging and binding and when right seemed to stumble just off idle. They actually fit the 1100 motors better.

slabghost":35tcivgq said:
Plenty of help here on those carbs. The vacuum advance port is needed on the 1100 motors so it is right to be plugged for use on your bike. The original carbs have issues with slides gouging and binding and when right seemed to stumble just off idle. They actually fit the 1100 motors better.

Thanks - okay to recap - the carbs off of a 1000 fit the 1100engine better? The plug in the vacuum advance port is required on my GL1000 so it stays put?

slabghost":efuf8dfx said:
The vacuum advance port is needed on the 1100 motors so it is right to be plugged for use on your bike.

I missed that this is a 1000 motor which doesn't use the vacuum advance so it's fine the way it is plugged.

as far as the carbs go the 1100 carbs are a much smoother setup than the 1000 setup ....1100 have excellerator pump 1000 dont ....they have four air cutoffs 1000s have one ....1000 carbs are bigger than 1100 carbs and run harder at high rpm ....overall the 1000s run great and smoother on 1100 carbs ...my 83 1100 has 77 carbs on it along with early aggressive cams from 75-77 1000 motor ....it realy runs good on the bigger carbs and dosnt stumble or do anything but scream ...i think the extra 100ccs makes this setup better than honda set up for the 1000 :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info lads - keep it coming. I'm far from technical or.mechanically minded, so I'm hesitant to even attempt to rebuild these carbs. I'm trying hard to find someone who at least knows something about carb rebuilds in the Yorkshire area.....

Sent from SYDland

Hasn't been started in a couple of years - at least that's what the seller told me. The seller also said that he beliveved that it only ran on 3 cylinders.

I am concious that I don't want to risk starting the engine until (a) all the fluids have been changed, (b) New filters and plugs have been installed, and (c) I've changed the timing belt. Anything else anyone would recommend doing before trying to start it?

Sent from SYDland

lmg":25pb668w said:
Hasn't been started in a couple of years - at least that's what the seller told me. The seller also said that he beliveved that it only ran on 3 cylinders.

I am concious that I don't want to risk starting the engine until (a) all the fluids have been changed, (b) New filters and plugs have been installed, and (c) I've changed the timing belt. Anything else anyone would recommend doing before trying to start it?

Sent from SYDland
First to be clear there are two timing belts. After years of sitting and the issue of 3 cylinders firing. I suggest you pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly. Check your fuel tank for rust, sediment, tar, etc. Remove any you find in there.

gee i lost an entire post to misguilded finger :rant: but as slab says carbs need to be cleaned and the first thing to do is to see if its timed right ...this can be done by taking timing covers off ....in a bike thats unknown i usealy take it down to raw machine so things can be checked good ....once the motor is timed ...carbs and spark are ready to go through

I'm watching this thread like a hawk. I daydream about someday taking on a rescue like this!

Mark

Its been a long since I updated this thread. My Dad passed away - and I have been dealing with everything to do with that, but since the last thing my Dad and I did before he took really ill and passed away was dismantle this '77 GL1000 - I have to get it finished.

So heres everything thats happened since the last post...

2-OCT-11

My parents arrived from Spain today for a visit and since I havent seen them in quite a few months, I did what any sane person would do and I left them in the house whilst I commenced stripping down the Goldwing.

SDC10730-734679.jpg

First things first - took the seat off. It actually is held on by 2 clamp bolts so it was a piece of piss. Next I wanted to tacklet the bikes fat ass. I removed the panniers....

SDC10749-761729.jpg

Next took the top box off....

SDC10753-782270.jpg

This allowed me to take the pannier | top box rail off (all the electrics where spliced in using bullet connectors under the seat) and unlike the Rocket III the rear light loom was run down the outside centre of the rear mudguard.

SDC10756-707386.jpg

Needed to summon my Dad out to help me remove the Vetter Windjammer fairiing.

SDC10758-790677.jpg

The fairing is a work of art - all the wiring loom is extended from the headlight via a single plug/socket connector in to the side of the fairing, so along with 4 bolts and disconnect the plug/socket, the fairing was off.

The bike is now almost back to stock.....

SDC10760-727785.jpg

What was interesting to note was all the nuts and bolts (without exception) came apart without rounding and being rusted on. A piece of cake. I actually thought what a 34yr old RocketIII might be like to dismantle ::)

The bike has a lot of surface rust, but apart from that there are no holes that can be seen at this stage and everything works in terms of electrics. The battery on the GL1000 is housed under the left side panel and is quite huge!

Next steps are to flip a coin to decide whether to do the stock restoration or go down the custom route.

Latest posts