Vacuum advance and pluse generator (VACUUM ADVANCE REBUILD)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guy's you might want to test the pulse generator at the plug for resistance, I found that one of my mine were dead, turns out the wires got pinched unseen under the covering and I had to trace it down, Dan repaired his a while ago, 2 of his cylinders weren't operating proper, so.. you will need a ohm meter or a multimeter thingy, place the leads on the white and yellow wires and it should show 530 +-50 ohms then do the white with blue stripe and blue with the same readings..Your engine needs good readings here..I'll probably solder them and forget about it..I'm gonna be the only person ever working on it anyway.. :smilie_happy: Hope this helps someone.. oh the bad one I found wasn't the one on the bike it was another one I had, I just decided to test it.. :grin: I don't like some of these old plug's, they all need to be checked.. :grin:

Just an update, I have not rode my bike since Thankgiving day, since then I have played around with it, I rebuilt the vacuum advance and cleaned the mechanical advance, put in new spark plug caps and wires, I got rid of the auto type wires because, everyone but a few said that it wasn't a good idea. Last night I rode the bike around the block, thought I was gonna crash it, I never checked the front wheel for air [low], man it sure didn't want to act right, today I double checked everything put my gear on and took that sucker out, All I have to say is this, I have never felt this bike perform the way it did today, that vacuum advance makes a big difference, the caps and plugs too, that bike was justa humming down the highway, you guy's should have seen the shitass grin on my stupid looking face...I am one happyass dude right now.. the bike is running better than I ever had it running before, idles good takes off smooth hauls freakin ass and it hums down the highway..Can you tell i'm happy..? :clapping: :good: :salute: :music3:I only swear when I get excited, sorry about that..it won't happen again

aint it great when you have done a lot of work to your bike and you find out that you realy never knew what these oldwings can do ....thats the way it was for me and ive been hooked on getting the most out of these oldwings ....i didnt have to rebuild my vacume canister but your thread cause me me to dive into the 1100 ignition and try the stuff i was certain would work ......the 83 is almost ready for the road and adjusting the unadjustable timing on the 83 with the 79 cams made a huge difference ....i had to clockwise turn the canister about 5 turns from the stock setting and this motor snaps to higher rpm even better than the mongruel at its best .....i think thats mostly the carbs but of corse an extra 100ccs dosnt hurt anything either....

it was a pain to set up this way ...getting to the headless bolt and replacing with a headed one ...but now that thats done adjusting the timing on the 1100 is nothing more than unpluging the vacume hose and loosening the set bolt and turning the canister ....theres a detent in the canister that the bolt rides in one spot only for each adjust must be one complete turn .....works great andlike beav said it makes a huge difference in how it runs when working right

im glad your happy with your effort beav ....we all benifited from yor thread :music: :yahoo: :music: :Egyptian: :mrgreen:

imfree":36c6umu5 said:
Littlebeaver,Check out randakks.com,Scroll down to GL1100 boggs down at full throttle,Read the whole article.
Thanks imfree I read that before I started this project.. cheer's :grin: Great article.. I noticed a big difference in having a full functioning vacuum advance from having one that wasn't functioning before.. " You never will really know until you try it for yourself "..

imfree":bitv9uxx said:
Do you think it makes a difference,As I would like to know before I do all the work that you did.HELP
For me it sure did, I noticed it right away..try to find a good oem one first, or send me the bad one and I'll fix it for you.. having a tiny hole probably wont bother anything but when it's larger the pickup coils wont move then and you lose all of your advance at the lower rpm's..Mr. Honda was a smart dude..

Imfree... If your ignition is still working right- no it won't make any difference at all.It has probably never been looked at let alone cleaned or lubed and is 28 years old now. Your call.

slabghost":mwz8eot0 said:
Imfree... If your ignition is still working right- no it won't make any difference at all.It has probably never been looked at let alone cleaned or lubed and is 28 years old now. Your call.
Yes, the way to tell if your advance is working is by checking your timing..

You know something guy's, I'm probably the only guy in the whole wide World that has a auto type canister on his vacuum advance,, on his goldwing..I find that to be pretty darn cool.. :grin:

joedrum":2jay0lx5 said:
if your oldwing runs like VW bug then it probably needs work ....if it runs like a porche its good... :mrgreen: :hihihi:
Joe' mine will out run a porche...aaaaaaaaaahhhh :grin: :grin: :party:

Thanks for the input guys,My bike runs very good it just has a flat spot on accel which I think is a slide in one of the carbs and it still gives me 42-48 mpgs,Depending on how big of a hurry I am in.I have spent a lot of time and money on this restore And I just want it to be just right,And so I will bite the bullet and replace it.Paint job is next wait till the war department hears how much that will cost,When you see what looks like a rocket in the sky from the south you will know that I told her,lol.Joe

imfree":1h1mogkh said:
Thanks for the input guys,My bike runs very good it just has a flat spot on accel which I think is a slide in one of the carbs and it still gives me 42-48 mpgs,Depending on how big of a hurry I am in.I have spent a lot of time and money on this restore And I just want it to be just right,And so I will bite the bullet and replace it.Paint job is next wait till the war department hears how much that will cost,When you see what looks like a rocket in the sky from the south you will know that I told her,lol.Joe
My advice is to try and find a oem one that's working and holding a vacuum. This was an experiment and gave a guy another opinion if all else failed, but there's nothing like the oem one in my opinion..Don't go glob on gasket filler Like I did, I was playing mud patties that night, fix the hole anyway you feel is fit,, taking it apart is simple, putting it back is simple, plug the end, I use JB Weld to seal everything..Imfree...If you get one from ebay ask if they tested it, and does it hold a vacuum, if they don't know tell them how to test it..I think we have all learned a bunch here together..I'm just writing it down ha ha...

littlebeaver":3jxv68e0 said:
imfree":3jxv68e0 said:
Do you think it makes a difference,As I would like to know before I do all the work that you did.HELP
For me it sure did, I noticed it right away..try to find a good oem one first, or send me the bad one and I'll fix it for you.. having a tiny hole probably wont bother anything but when it's larger the pickup coils wont move then and you lose all of your advance at the lower rpm's..Mr. Honda was a smart dude..
Well Not all of your advance but but the vacuum advance gives is what I mean....I think it's time to lock up this post Dan..

If any of you guys have a bad vacuum canister I bet I can fix it for you, or make you a new one.. send me a pm if you wish..it's ok.. :Egyptian:

dan filipi":256uquuc said:
littlebeaver":256uquuc said:
Is this insane or what?

Hey, whatever works is my motto.

I'm finding out the advance on my 83 may be way off or something else isn't right with the ignition/timing somewhere.
Running the 1000 cams with points and manual timing adjustment seems to have cured the hot hard crank syndrome.

Hello,

I have the same setup, from PO. How did get the timing set on this setup? I have been fighting it for two days now. I saw somewhere on this forum that the crank position is at 16 degrees or did i just read it wrong?

slabghost":2iyzd6w7 said:
Talk with Joedrum about setting for the cam change. He's in chat right now.

:Egyptian: I finally got her running again. I know its probably not the right thing to do but it works. First I gaped the points for 1 and 2 at .016, then I set the timing 1/16th of an inch past the F1 mark on the crank. Then I gaped the point for 3 and 4 at .016 and spun the crank to F2. Now for the life of me no matter how much I slid the base plate clockwise I couldn't get any lights. So this is what i did. I locked the sub-plate down as far clockwise as I could and gaped from there. Lifting the points just enough for them to break contact and locked her down there. I have no dwell between sparks and she runs smooth now. Like I said probably not the right thing to do but I got good running old girl again! If there are any issues with doing it this way please let me know.

Latest posts