Valkyrie water pump leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
For ages Val had been leaking some coolant from under the water pump but as it always recovered from the radiator overflow bottle. I wasn’t too concerned and just made sure that there was always some extra coolant in the bottle to compensate. I initially thought it was the front cover/inlet housing oring so I had purchased one of those. I eventually noticed that the leak was coming from the top T outlet hose where it met the water pump. I installed a new hose clamp but that seemed to make it worse. I ordered a new T hose ($70 aud) as it is a moulded hose and I figured as it was 22 years old it wouldn’t hurt to buy a new one. When I pulled off the hose I found that the outlet neck on the water pump was corroded and I cleaned it up and spread silicon on it and reused the old (original hose). No more leaks. :salute:
I also put in a fresh set of spark plugs and managed to take Val for it’s first ride in about 3 months (hurt shoulder, chopped up fingers and eroded or wet driveway) out to Beaudesert Golf Club to meet up with a new mate from my hospital visit. I have saved the new hose for when I install a new water pump in the future. I did use the new cover plate oring. :good:

Yep, the old Valkyries are getting long in the tooth as well! We’re starting to see things that we haven’t seen before. Glad you got it sorted out, Tony.

And I had forgotten about your fingers. Sounds like you’re healing up well. I’ll bet they’re still sensitive! Take care my friend.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215601#p215601:1x71fzor said:
desertrefugee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:11 am[/url]":1x71fzor]
... and it has a real alternator.
:good:
That come off easily as well. :salute:

That's one of the reasons I want to keep mine plus, there fun to ride.

Attachments

• DSC_0274.JPG
    DSC_0274.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 108
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215614#p215614:1mlib42s said:
flash2002 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:21 am[/url]":1mlib42s]
That's one of the reasons I want to keep mine plus, there fun to ride.
file.php
:good: