What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed the damaged fairing. It wasn't too hard as half the hardware was missing. With the rear end finally done, now I can work on the front. Cleaning, paint the forks and front wheel, rebuild the calipers... so much to do.

Welcome aboard frozenpoet, :hi: is your 84 a standard by chance, :headscratch: & is Strasburg in Ohio? :roll:

Installed the new battery and mostly dismantled the front brakes to paint and rebuild tomorrow. One side totally seized and the other working maybe 50%. I got them both loose but it's going to take some persuasion to get the pistons out. They are soaking overnight.

I'm working on the brake caliper rebuild now. Got the front 2 apart with some work but the rear is being very difficult. It's loose enough to turn but won't come out. I'm off to find some fittings so I can hook up air pressure and leave it.

But I do have a question about the bolts that hold the caliper on. One of them in each has a rubber sleeve. There is not a replacement in the pricey kits I got, grrr. Anyway, does it matter which position it's in? I wasn't paying attention when I pulled it off because I didn't expect them. My gut says it's just to prevent rattling and it doesn't matter.

Never mind. I mistyped. I meant the pins, not bolts and I've just found out they only go in one way. Still annoyed that the kit didn't include those plastic tubes because one is messed up.

Finished packing the big stuff for my camping/fishing trip next weekend. When I was done, I went for a ride to see how everything handles when it is loaded. Friday cannot get here quick enough!

image.php

Disassembled (with considerable difficulty) all the brakes, cleaned and primered the calipers. Hopefully I can get a coat of paint on them tomorrow but I won't have time to reassemble them before tuesday. After that it's mount the horns, put the fairing on, and she's road safe and ready.

Luckily the pistons are in pretty good shape. There was a lot of crud in the groove for the seals. I hope I cleaned them well enough. It's no wonder it had no stopping power, two of the pistons were frozen and the third was nearly. Tip. A 1/8 brass pipe nipple will screw into the caliper just enough to seal and hold. I sprayed some penetrant in and hooked up the air. It took less than 10 minutes to push the stuck piston out.

Best way i ever found was using the master to pump out the piston's, :yes: with an old brake pad to hold the one from popping out till the other catches up. :good:

Started it up, let it come fully up to temperature, ran up and down the street in front of the house a few times and put it back to sleep.

Anyone who's ever spent a Summer in Phoenix will understand why I didn't go any farther. Just trying to keep bad things from happening from sitting idle. (Like the Valkyrie with a stuck float that I had to tend to...sweating like a pig).

I got to ride it for a few miles pit to my church and back this evening! I really need to get her out more, she let's me know she's not happy about sitting every time I ride...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

did the 4 hr ride from southern ga. to chuluotaa fla. nice ride ...no problems at all ....went for short ride this morning ...hooch is running great ..really showing some power...snatching wheel off the ground with ease in second .....such a great feeling on a oldwing ..low weighted they are ...it takes power to lift these bikes up .....really hot down here ..but this seems not to bother hooch much ....motor running rather cool ....

Two of my friends and I decided it would be a good day for a ride to the high country. Took off about eight this morning and headed north on 49 to Angles Camp, ran into a group of Hells Angles in Angles camp, seemed like a oxymoron, HA's in Angles camp, actually got talking to a couple of them and we very pleasant. Left them and headed up highway 4 until we got to Alpine lake, eight thousand food elevation, weather was perfect there, we should have stayed til nightfall. Headed back down, the more altitude we lost the hotter it got, back at Angles Camp it was 104. Drank a lot of water and Re- soaked my cool vest and headed for home. Buy the time I got here I was pretty well done, and realized since I retired I haven't acclimated myself to the summer heat, boy did I pay for it.

Brake calipers reassembled. Rear on, fronts waiting for their chance. That's a major check-off on the to-do list. Next is to remove the front wheel to paint it and the fork, paint the fairing, and get it all back together. The weather should be good all week so I think I can get it done. I want to get a tag on it Saturday and take the first shakedown ride Sunday.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175910#p175910:g0w6swyf said:
chuck c » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 pm[/url]":g0w6swyf]
Brake calipers reassembled. Rear on, fronts waiting for their chance. That's a major check-off on the to-do list. Next is to remove the front wheel to paint it and the fork, paint the fairing, and get it all back together. The weather should be good all week so I think I can get it done. I want to get a tag on it Saturday and take the first shakedown ride Sunday.
Sounds great! I'm hoping for a great ride report. :BigGrin: