What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took off the large Plexifaring and put on a much smaller wind shield. It's not something I wanted to do, but the Plexifaring lost a socket to hold it to the support arm and nothing I tried would fix it. You really can't glue metal to metal on something that vibrates so much.

Today I did all the polishing I'm gonna do for a while on the valve covers, adjusted the valves, pulled the resistors out of the plug caps and replaced them with brass round stock, Installed new plugs (one's in it were for '83 and this is an 81 not sure if it makes any difference but they looked like crap so ...)

Bike runs better but not where I want it. Carbs will be next, I want to put a few miles on the slug and get a decent plug check. bike idles fine now and rpm is stable with fairly smooth transition through the gears but just seems to have a slight miss.

Plugs in the photo are numbered 1-4 as they came out of the bike if sitting on it. Photo is not that good and 1 and 4 actually look fairly good. #2 is really rich and #3 looks as it is just there. lol ........

CIMG3374.jpg

Painted one valve cover red and the other black just to see what it would look like, the paints crap but I going to do them again later anyway.

CIMG3365.jpg

CIMG3366.jpg

Messed with the Wing too long today and the CX got jealous so I put the seat and tank back on took a spin to the parts houses to pick up some stuff.

CopyofCIMG3321.jpg

That bike is a ton of fun. Getting on that after riding the Wing is like getting out of big Buick and jumping into a Mustang GT.

I haven't done anything to mine yet today, but I'm just about to go out, start her up and ride her to work.

Mark

I gassed her up. :Egyptian: Then I took her for a 133 mile ride through the dleta, Rio Vista, Islton,
Walnut Grove and back home. :party: :party: :party: Hay Mc do you recognize this:
DSCF0328.JPG
DSCF0326.JPG
Above Rio Vista :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Changed the plugs. Still hesitation and miss under acceleration at low rpm. Seems to smooth out at higher rpm. Next fuel filter change then carbs, I guess. :head bang:

toytender01":1ic6wwps said:
I gassed her up. :Egyptian: Then I took her for a 133 mile ride through the dleta, Rio Vista, Islton,
Walnut Grove and back home. :party: :party: :party: Hay Mc do you recognize this:Above Rio Vista :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
HEY! That is my boat!! Here is a better shot of her:
DSCN2264.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG

patcoburn":1zo91t49 said:
Very nice :rocks: job! Where is that boat in the pix?
Built in Seattle and sails on the Sacramento River from Rio Vista to Ryer Island in California.

(And to stay on topic.....if I did not have my job that oversaw the design and construction of that ferry, I wouldn't have been able to restore my Wing! :hihihi: )

Today I finished upgrading the driving lights on my '81 to HID.

Removed the 35W 12V Halogen lamps (previously downgraded from 55W) and replaced them with 35W HID lamps and ballasts (Placed the ballasts under fairing lowers attached to down tubes)... tried a few different hook ups to use the driving lights for my hi beams and then remembered the brown "running light" wire in the fairing at the headlight harness... voila! now my headlight stays on all the time (it's a single beam HID) and the driving lights come on when I hit the high beam switch on the handlebar (controlled through a high power relay)... Now I can be seen from space!!!

Can't wait to see how it looks at night on a dark night with no streetlights...

Here are two pics in the bright sunlight in the driveway:

image.php

image.php

Rich

yesterday after work jeff, scott, kenny, and meself took a 176 mile ( total milage ) ride to test ride a '12 goldwing but we got there late and only kenny and jeff got a chance to take the test ride

detdrbuzzard":1hinhf4n said:
yesterday after work jeff, scott, kenny, and meself took a 176 mile ( total milage ) ride to test ride a '12 goldwing but we got there late and only kenny and jeff got a chance to take the test ride
I'd be afraid to take a test drive. Afraid I'd get a Jonesing for a new bike payment. :shock:
Mark

Went to change out the left handle bar light switch and ended up practically disassembling half the bike. This bike is new to me and I'm new to old Wings so this is an adventure.

I'm going to re build the carbs as soon as my kit arrives from Randall so lots of stuff needs to come off anyway. I had an issue with the turn signal switch. It wouldn't lock in the right turn position. Took it off and had a look. :head bang: The PO or somebody had done a hack job inside by first attempting to solder one of the wires and it looks like he got it too hot and melted another one off. Then he spliced a wire with one of those blue square connectors and somehow crammed the thing back inside and jammed the switch up. The kept the switch from making the connection in the right turn position and something broke. I cleaned the mess up and re-soldered the wires but the switch would never lock into the right turn position. So I found a purchased another switch assembly.

Off with the fairing which led to off with the seat, shelter and while I was at it the instrument cluster because the light is burned out in the fuel/temp guage which had to be loosened anyway to run the wire harness for the switch.

Although this bike is fairly clean there is 30 years of crap under the seat, shelter and fairing. That's a good 3 hour detail job. Next I couldn't find the proper bulb so I got one that's a 53 LL 14 V 1.3W as opposed to the one that was in there 12v 3.3W. It works and I can now see the gauge at night. :Egyptian:

On the the switch. I loosened the instrument cluster to pull out the old harness and stick in the new one. Of course I already had to pull off the weight and cover to get to the wires. Two connectors, left turn, right turn, orange, light blue again with stripes .......... you know the drill. With all the wire in place I set the fairing back on and plugged in the 9 pin connector to try the switch. ............. NO HEAD Light. signals work fine, radio works but horn weak and no head lamp. DAMN,. :head bang: :head bang: I remembered someone saying something about a ground and chased that phantom for a couple hours. Ain't no such thing as far as I can tell. I finally re-connected the old switch and guess what? Head light worked. So, the switch I bought to replace the defective switch has a defect on the other side. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!

Since the switch I just bought is in basically better shape I will try to repair what ever it is preventing the head light from working. The horn sounds like a dying cat with this switch so I will take that apart and hit the connection with some steel wool. That should solve the horn problem and may actually help the light problem. After that I will remove and clean the hi/lo portion and work on that. Before doing any of that I will put the multi-meter to the switch connections and try to isolate the problem, right now I've been messing with this thing all night and probably better sleep a bit.

One thing about working on these old bikes..... never a dull moment and there's always a new challenge. Previously I would have already piled this thing up in the back yard and set fire to it. Nowadays I just roll with the punches and learn. It's like therapy for me now, discovering way people can screw something up and the mess they leave when they don't know what they are doing and take no pride in the work in the first place. That's why I don't sell any of my bikes ...... Don't want to become a PO. :rant:

:Egyptian: today i took news pics,and added them to my aulbum,so you can really see miss daisy better thank's robert.. :thanks: got her stuff ready to go to the mech. hope she'll be ready to ride buy my bday.but i dought it.they work this week and off the next. coution when veiwing she's half nakkedin these pics.

Attachments

• bill's 003.jpg
    bill's 003.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 72