What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow great if only i could make some good progress on my 75 rack ...its bad ....but im getting close to having things strip down ...great to hear ...when carbs and ignition is up to par oldwings hold there own easy with toays cruisers and touring bikes ....my moded 83 out guned a 1800 yesterday it wasnt easy but it did it ...the 1800s are sure fine bikes it had a great sound ....dont get me wrong the 1800 was fast to and i think i out sweet spoted him ....it was a great feeling that the 83 30yr old oldwing was right there

joedrum":251wqfzs said:
wow great if only i could make some good progress on my 75 rack ...its bad ....but im getting close to having things strip down ...great to hear ...when carbs and ignition is up to par oldwings hold there own easy with toays cruisers and touring bikes ....my moded 83 out guned a 1800 yesterday it wasnt easy but it did it ...the 1800s are sure fine bikes it had a great sound ....dont get me wrong the 1800 was fast to and i think i out sweet spoted him ....it was a great feeling that the 83 30yr old oldwing was right there

Tell ya what Joe, I've use stuff like Berryman's for 40 years and when I got my ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight I was skeptical. That thing does an outstanding job and no chemicals. use Simple Green Pro HD about 1 part to 3 parts distilled water (or any water just some hardness might stain the Aluminum.

I think the big unit they have is on sale for like $74 and you can use one of those 20% off coupons floating around for additional savings. So for about $60 bucks or so you have a cleaner that will last a long time, clean other things and so a better job inside the carb. Granted the ones you have need some degree of chemical cleaning to get them where you would want to contaminate you sonic cleaner but what a difference. I would like to find an old rack like that just to see what I can do with it.

Went out at day break and rode about 30 miles into the desert. Bike is just as smooth at 100 MPH as 40. Speedometer only goes to 85 so that's just a guess I was at about 68-6900 RPM. Liking the wing more and more. Defiantly a good road bike so now I have the best of both worlds. The wing for longer rides and the CX650 for practicing street hooliganism. :Egyptian:

Note: Don't bust the speed limit laws on regular basis only when testing out new work and only where I'm on a lonely road with no other traffic in sight. This was in the desert out near a test site. I ran into a couple guys testing some new Humvee looking things and all I can say is WOW. These things had some serious armor. They did tell me some other stuff but don't think it's for here. All I will say is I believe the military is beefing up for urban warfare. Not necessarily in the US but personally I would not rule that out either.

Back out for a run around lake Mead.

Finally got around to puttin' in the new sparkplugs that had been sittin' on da shelf for a few weeks, then ran some errands to Lowes and Pep Boyz... got home and lubed up the speedo cable (I was gettin' "pulsing" below 25 MPH, figured it was from cable "dragging" inside the jacket) but the weather here is changin' fast for the worse, so I led the old girl back to the barn and gave her some oats and a nice blanket for a day or two... I'll hafta wait to see if the speedo lube job took care of the "pulse"...

Ah ha.......... found a nice vacuum gauge at a yard sale for one dolla.

Sync the old fashion way ..... one at a time. LOL I did use my jugs just in case.

CIMG3330.jpg

:head bang: So I pulled the carb rack and the temp went up to 90 tody. Now I have them out but can't seperate the halfs. those damd phollips sreewa are so tight that they are striping the slots out :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: think i will sleap on it. :lazy:

toytender01":1nnosoos said:
:head bang: So I pulled the carb rack and the temp went up to 90 tody. Now I have them out but can't seperate the halfs. those damd phollips sreewa are so tight that they are striping the slots out :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: think i will sleap on it. :lazy:

Let those damd phollips sreewa sleep on penetrating oil. :builder: :beer:

toytender01":2q32t2ch said:

Do yourself a favor and get an impact screwdriver and you will have them out in five minutes.

Plugs showed a little lean so I enriched all 4 and went for a ride. Wanted to get a good fuel mileage check. Got 47 MPG on this 100 mile ride. Bike performs perfectly and has plenty of power. will do a plug inspection later tonight and adjust accordingly. Also my throttle lock won't hold position so I am taking it apart tonight. Toe of both boots have oil on them......... Fuel pump gasket and the other one on the left side have slight leaks. Let the gasket making begin...

First stop. One of my favorite overlooks at Lake Mead. The Marina is just below it.

CIMG3498.jpg

Then this broad in a Ferrari thought she could beat me to the top of the hill. yeah ... right.

CIMG3509.jpg

After dusting off the Ferrari and sending it limping away the beast posed for a shot with the new bridge over Hoover dam. Then it was to the other end of the lake for a late breakfast. Must have been 2 million bikes out today of all ilks. Saw 1 other vintage GoldWing all day the rest were pocket rockets and very shiny and very loud Harley's. Got to get me one of those "do rags" at these temps my head got sweaty because the fairing and windshield block off the air to my helmet vents. Much cooler on my 650 with no windscreen.

CIMG3506.jpg

scdmarx":13z0q0uy said:
Sure was an ugly broad in that Ferrari! She'da beat me cause I'da been going the other way!

We're socked in soup here. No pictures.

Trust me she was a fox. There were several models posing there. The guy just blocks the view of her. And yeah HE was fairly ugly. :Egyptian:

Yesterday I either rebuilt or destroyed the front brake calipers, not sure which as I haven't bled the brakes yet. Also installed a new front brake master cylinder and pads of course. Today I looked at it a few times, read the instructions for the new one person brake bleeding kit, went to Northern Tool for a two ton bottle jack (sidecar) and currently, being new rouncheer, making my fifth post to Classic Goldwings which should open the gates to a vast storehouse of early Goldwing information. Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes and see if I've restored or destroyed the system. Then I will clean, buff, polish or have it towed to a real technician.

changed the fuse next to the starter solenoid in hopes it makes a diffence whether it keeps shutting down. No such luck in all probabilities as it still may be the pulse gens. I hope to know tomorrow.

I finally installed the new spark plug wires I bought from someone on this forum a couple of years ago. They work great. The bike does seem to perform better. I 'm sure the old ones were the original wires, 30 years old. Also fixed a problem with the coolant overflow tube I've been ignoring for a long time. Taking the false tank off and reinstalling on an 82 Asp is a real pain. All that and an oil chamge. I still need to but a new battery. :Egyptian:

Latest posts