What do you think of brown?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original choice was gray. My wife looked at it and said "Primer. It looks like you haven't finished it". She was right. So now I'm thinking either brown or dark green. Whatever color I pick it will be textured.
140920_0000.jpg

Attachments

• 140920_0001.jpg
    140920_0001.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 225
A darker brown gloss metallic looks good. Not sure what colors look good textured. What kind of texture?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131734#p131734:1qmskxzi said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 am[/url]":1qmskxzi]
BTW that particular brown looks like chocolate. Might not be the best choice.
Unless it tastes good :smilie_happy:

That one is a chocolate brown. My other choice was tan. I'll see if I can get some. It's pretty cool having a whole bike's worth of plastic to mess up with rattle can paint.

Copper over a gold metallic is pretty sharp looking... and I heard way back when younger that dark forest green was worse then gloss black at night.. a medium dark green over gold is sharp also.. and silver also could be used instead. Just my senseless money's worth

My 83 started life brown. If you are going to go with brown, you should consider the brown that Honda used. It is one of the best browns I have seen.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131767#p131767:pj43xksx said:
Andyb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 am[/url]":pj43xksx]
My 83 started life brown. If you are going to go with brown, you should consider the brown that Honda used. It is one of the best browns I have seen.

I'm considering what I can find in rattle cans at Home Depot. Don't outrage too much, it could always be redone if I had the money to spend. Also, I have lots of practice making pretty darned good results with spray paint. With the right prep and care and willingness to sand it off and start over if you mess up, it can to and adequate job. That's also why I'm using the hammered finish paints. I love the look and it hides a multitude of minor errors.

I like hammered finish too. I painted an old Ford Courier hammer finished copper. Only took 13 cans. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131789#p131789:38hwzde6 said:
chuck c » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:48 pm[/url]":38hwzde6]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131767#p131767:38hwzde6 said:
Andyb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 am[/url]":38hwzde6]

I'm considering what I can find in rattle cans at Home Depot. Don't outrage too much, it could always be redone if I had the money to spend. Also, I have lots of practice making pretty darned good results with spray paint. With the right prep and care and willingness to sand it off and start over if you mess up, it can to and adequate job. That's also why I'm using the hammered finish paints. I love the look and it hides a multitude of minor errors.
You won't get any outrage from me about spray paint. Mine went from stock Regal Brown to gray and red to gray, red and black and now black and red via multiple spray cans. Thinking about going all black in the Spring.

Also, the reason I went away from gray was for the same reason as you. Spray can gray looks too much like primer.

Well, the chocolate brown has been growing on me and the wife said she liked it too. I couldn't find a good tan, it was too light. I guess I should have mentioned I'm aiming for an almost military kind of look without going full olive drab. Subdued. De-chromed. I did some frame parts and rear shocks with hammered black and DANG that looks good. It's not really black, it's a really dark gray. It looks good next to the brown. I hit one of the mufflers with black stove paint and I can really see the difference between true black and the hammered dark gray. The more chrome I cover the more I like it. So the scheme will be hammered dark gray frame, racks, engine crash bars, and engine, brown fairing, tank, side covers, fenders, rocker covers, & panniers. Stove flat black exhaust. I'm toying with maybe some dark red details like the outside of the rims.

Latest posts