Whats on your head?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajclockga

Reaction score
Where do you stand on helmets.Prefer to have one?Prefer to not have one!Studies show they are only good at the crash site.The other 99.9% of the time they are really quite useless.I live in a state that has helmet laws.I do ride in states that dont.And sometimes I dont wear one,depending on traffic,and weather.

I work with many riders that wore beanies, the results are horrific. I'm planning to switch to full as soon I can afford 2 new helmets(me and wifey). Right now we use half helmets mostly due to the heat here in Vegas, but I just don't want to end up like the crash survivors in ICU. The alternative for me is to hope I don't survive the accident.

~O~

yes i think there as great as a windsheild....fullface always for me ....ive always thought it would hell with full face helmet bad i havnt even looked at any other helmet since....mine seems to breath great for me and im already doing some cold runs at night and there diffinitly better here

If that punkin on yer shoulders is worth $5 a ballcap will do. If you like the head and face you have wear a good helmet. When it's really hot I wear the half. The rest of the time I wear my ff helmet. From what I've seen road rash does not improve ones appearance or IQ.

When I do wear headgear, it's a 3/4. I want to get a FF for winter riding, but just haven't yet. They are quite proud of them here$$$$. Yeah, I know..."How much is your life worth?"
I see both sides of the argument...and I have seen both sides of the results. I used to drive a wrecker, and we did the towing for the city and county. Last bike wreck I worked was a friend of mine. He was wearing a helmet....the helmet got caught on a guardrail on his way down, and snapped his neck. Would he have bit it either way? Who knows.....
smiley18.gif

Skin and thinnin hair , when I ride I have always had a helmet on . Out of the four that got chewed up two were my fault ( young an dumb ) two werent . All four took a chewing that would have really ruined my day and life . Just don't think it should be in the governments power to require them .

well i'm one of those crash survivors that wouldn't be alive if it were not for a helmet. i have 2-ff, 2 -of and a half helmet that never gets worn. i plan on giving my nephew jerry my hjc cl15 ff helmet and replacing it with a shoie quest. i have nothing agains anyone that rides helmetless cause its your decission to make, i'm just not brave enough to ride helmetless

Agreed, wearing a helmet (or not) should be a choice, just like seat belts should be a choice.
I don't like being forced into obeying the man.

That said, my son and I rode around some without a helmet in AZ where it's not a law, well we found out later it IS law for minors but we didn't get caught.
Must say I did like the open freedom feel but my son commented he didn't feel safe.
Coming from your 10 year old son ya tend to listen so we put them back on.

I wear a 3/4 all of the time. Mine also has a removable padded leather neck attachment that covers my ears. I used to only attach it in fall and winter, but now leave it on all of the time since it really cuts wind noise but allows me to hear traffic (and my tunes!). In NJ, helmets are required. But I live on the PA border and in PA there currently is no helmet law (repealed some time back). When I cross over into PA I wear my helmet all of the time! I see many high speed rocket bikes doing all kinds of dumb things in PA (mostly kids showing off) but sadly I have seen too many times the rockets flying by me on Interstate 95 travelling over 100 MPH with with the girl friend leaning over hanging on for dear life (no helmets) and way too often one of the bikes slips, gets tapped by a car because they cut the car off too short and both go flying into eternity!

Stupid is no excuse and a helmet may not help at those speeds, but at least give the passenger a chance!

Personally......I do not like riding without a helmet and I really do not like riding without a windshield! Call me a sissy if ya like, but that isn't my kind of riding.

For me, a helmet is a neccesary part of my riding attire. Wife prefers an open face with a visor, I use the same the majority of the time. We have half helmets for hotter weather. Although a minor imconvienience, one Sunday afternoon on the Santa Ana freeway in 1975, A Shoei kept my head from getting a dent in the cranium from a guardrail when I got hit by an idiot cager running from the CHP. In those days, I wore the helmet only on road trips...That incident changed the way I rode and what I wore when I rode forever. Nowadays I don't think twice, it's a natural reflex to grab "the bucket" on the way out the door when going for a ride...even just down the street...(All our helmets reside on a table just a few feet from the front door) Besides...The earbuds I use with my MP3 player make the inside of my helmet a concert hall when on the highway! Beethoven never sounded so good... :music3: You never know what will happen when a situation develops that will crash you and your bike(God forbid!). I say better safe than sorry!

If you feel warm and fuzzy wearing a seat belt or a helmet, I won't try to force you not to. But insisting on forcing me to is nothing but a cash cow.

I see riders with shorts and tank tops, with some very pleasant to look at bare legs and tube tops holding on, zipping through traffic with nothing to fear. But they're cool as long as they got that bucket strapped over they're head.

Seat belts are required by law, antilock brakes are not.
Helmets are required by law, training wheels are not.
I don't see the logic.
I call BS

Had an acccident on the B/R Parkway in 07.Woke up looking at the sky and someone holding my neck.I had a fractured neck,7 broke ribbs,punctured lung,broken collar bone and broken shoulder blade.My ear was split.Iwas wearing a half helmet and it was split on the inside where my head hit the ground.No question I would have been dead without the helmet.To this day I cannot rember what happened.Maybe it is better that I can't.

Don't need one in Pa. but we wear them, the wife & I have a couple of half helmets that we got last year and we love them, they have the zip out liner in them for those cold days around here. we used to have 3/4 helmets before they were just to hot (that's about the only time she'll ride) had a hard time getting used to the 1/2 cause now I can hear all those sounds the wing makes that I could not hear before. :music2: :music2:

zcarron":1l52kjzm said:
Had an acccident on the B/R Parkway in 07.Woke up looking at the sky and someone holding my neck.I had a fractured neck,7 broke ribbs,punctured lung,broken collar bone and broken shoulder blade.My ear was split.Iwas wearing a half helmet and it was split on the inside where my head hit the ground.No question I would have been dead without the helmet.To this day I cannot rember what happened.Maybe it is better that I can't.
i remember everything from my accident including thinking " not again "

I wear a Shoei Muilti tech Full, flip face helmet. I have had FF Shoeis for a while now and am very happy even in hot weather.

I do have a 1/2 I ocasoinally wear. And some times I go naked, but rarley. But i like having that right.

John

Shoei X-Eleven here.
Had a TZ-R before that, and a pair of HJC AC-11s prior to that.
TZ-R retired due to age, the HJCs saved my noggin.

I wear helmets because I want to keep my head just in case I decide to use it one day! :mrgreen:

1TallTXn":13rwktu4 said:
Shoei X-Eleven here.
Had a TZ-R before that, and a pair of HJC AC-11s prior to that.
TZ-R retired due to age, the HJCs saved my noggin.

I wear helmets because I want to keep my head just in case I decide to use it one day! :mrgreen:
:smilie_happy: :thanks: