Windshield wiper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price is steep! I didn't see that, I was only looking at the concept. I can get a marine 12DC waterproof windshield wiper kit for $150.

How long ya reckon that plastic is gonna last with a wiper running across it? It's a great idea, but the price, and scratching the plastic is a deal breaker! :crying:

slabghost":28rodzk0 said:
Where do you find Rainx for plastic? I've been using pledge.

Yeah gotta ask the same question on the Rain-X for plastic, was always told not to use it on plastic, think it says that on the bottle too, I use Pledge also.

To be honest, I never read the back of the Rain-X bottle. I went and looked just now and you're right, it does warn against using on plastics but it seems like kind of a gereric warning ending with "unless pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated"
I can say that I have used it for years on both older plexiglas and the newer acrylics in a different venue with no ill effects but I guess I should have read the instructions before I made my last post. I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for someone ruining their windshield.
There is another product called "Anti-Fog", also made by Rain-X, that does not have the warning and even says can be used on "Helmet Visors & Face Shields". I have used it on the inside of the car windows and on eye glasses (plastic) and it seems to work well but never tried it on the outside.
All this being said, I do know some that use the Pledge and swear by it. They also use it on non clear coated painted surfaces for the shine. Easier than polishing I guess.

Dave

slabghost":2kot827n said:
I use Plexus with great results. It removes those tiny scratches that only show up when the sun hits it just right. It polishes up nice and it beads rain. But.....when driving on the PA Turnpike in heavy rain, spray from car tires and trucks is real annoying. It is better when it rains harder to keep the spray from clouding up the windshield.

I believe that some small airplanes have plexiglass windshields (which Plexus was designed for) and they have wipers.

Yea, there is a bunch of products for airplane windows, and just about as many opinions of which one is best. Plexus is considered to be very good. There is even a kit for removing scratches which is basically four different rubbing compounds going from course to ultra ultra fine. Pretty expensive kit but the plane windshields are much more expensive to replace than the bike windshields so it's worth it for that type appilication. The only problem is if you go too deep trying to get the scratch out, it distorts the image.

https://aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/wind ... aners.html
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... tchoff.php

Dave

Is rain on the windshield really a problem? It doesn't rain much here in the desert, but when it has I do not remember worrying about the shield, just the roads. Now if they came up with Speed Racer tires that grip any surface with a push of a button.... :good:

~O~

mcgovern61":1wkny9pv said:
slabghost":1wkny9pv said:
I use Plexus with great results. It removes those tiny scratches that only show up when the sun hits it just right. It polishes up nice and it beads rain. But.....when driving on the PA Turnpike in heavy rain, spray from car tires and trucks is real annoying. It is better when it rains harder to keep the spray from clouding up the windshield.

I believe that some small airplanes have plexiglass windshields (which Plexus was designed for) and they have wipers.
Many aircraft have Plexi shield and yes have wipers. Pilots only use the wipers for emergency situations because of the resulting damage incurred by the wipers. The Army retrofitted their helicopters with safety glass to use the wipers 30 years ago.

I used Rain-X on my Vetter windshield and ended up replaceing it because the water seemed to collect and make things worse. I now have a shorter shield that allows me to see just about an inch or two over the top.

We get a drizzleing fog here, especially in the mornings. I live and work right on the coast in a spot where the thick wet fog banks roll in and out on a whim. Where I live is normally more socked in and wetter than where I work, but I can ride five or ten minutes inland and it's a beautiful sunny day.

I often find myself wishing for a wiper and a defogger.

I see just over the windshield, but need to look through it to see the road directly in front of the bike..
I was thinking of going to one of those taller wider windshields maybe in the future.. but I like this one so I'd hate to mess it up ..
I use rain-x cleaner and protectant on mine now with limited reasults. noting to brag about really.
how does the pleadge work?
maybe I'll give that a try as we are going into our changing seasons and we'll get much more rain till it snows!