Wiring in a relay to the coils?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz2at

Reaction score
I am going to try and wire in a bosch type relay to see if I can get more voltage to the stock coils on my 81'. Does anyone know what wire powers the coils in the three prong plug? I think it's the blk/w right? If so what wire would go to the 86 on the relay from the kill switch? BTW here is where I got the info https://www.wgcarbs.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=26

Thanks,
Fitz

(Edited by DF to fix image broken link.)
This diagram is not totally accurate because the coil resistor is NOT displayed but it gives a good idea of how to connect the relay in the coil circuit HOT supply to the coils. The stock resistor should stay in place with stock coils. DF
image.php

this a geat mod to do ive been considering it for a long time ...the relay hasnt come my way yet ...the blackwhite wire is a keyed hot hot wire ...im not sure but sould be on the wires from kill switch as i was just in there on my 77 .......need a wiring diagram to realy check for wire colors on your 1200 86 ...im confused some your talking 81 and then 86 ...clairify that some

No reason to run hotter coils if this takes care of my weak spark.

true. yes use the feed to the coils to power the relay and a fresh wire at battery or battery connection on the solenoid through the relay to power the coils.

I found also that putting a relay on the main black feed wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box brightened my lights, especially the headlight. Don't know if it helped the spark though.

So I finished up wiring in the relay and boy she starts and runs like and open sore. :good: Here's some photos of how I did it. I pulled the black/white wire out of the white connector up by the coils and soldered the relay in there.
IMGP4490.jpg
IMGP4491.jpg

Being fairly new to the old Gold Wing community, can y'all explain why this mod would help? :beg: :beg: Is there something lacking on my '83 Aspy that could use this?
I'll certainly do it if I can get my head around how/what/why it helps... :read:

.....old Navy Chiefs need a reason to do things....LOL :yahoo:

:good: Thanks, guys-

John, the whole idea is to give full power to the ignition since Honda ran too small wire in the first place.
Add to that the ignition load is also removed from the ignition switch itself and the coils don't provide a very hot spark so every little bit can help.
You might never notice a difference in performance but if you do then I think there may be other wiring problems like loose fuses, failing contacts in the ign switch, etc. that this mod could help correct simply by lightening the load on the existing wiring.

12 gauge with a 30 amp fuse if memory serves.
Memory didn't 10 amp fuse and 14 gauge will do if you don't have 12.

Went for a ride tonight and it runs like a dream guys. No more lugging of idle and it purrs like a kitten. I would advise this mod to everyone. So simple and makes the bike run soooo much better.

Fitz

Joe is this the mod you were talking about at the meet and greet. And do you think it would solve my plug fouling problem. I haven't changed back to 80 coils yet. Jerry

yes but the coils sould be changed jerry ...wilco had problems with different coils than wiring hooked up and didnt make it to the meet and greet ...change coils to match wiring and then relay

What the relay is doing is removing the load from the ignition switch so the ignition current doesn't have to be supplied by the ignition switch and the weak wiring. This should help provide a better spark, (if there was a problem with the ignition coil power supply in the first place.)

30 year old wiring going through dirty switches and connector loses a lot of voltage. This mod renews full voltage supply to the coils for better starts, smoother idle and better throttle response.