4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add....

I think machining this pulley to include this washer would increase the cost and may also require a larger cut out in the front covers, maybe, maybe not.

In my experience the pulley works just fine as originally drawn and any modifications to it is just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

joedrum":3efmave2 said:
on the plus side ...the oldwing motor is the smoothest hard mount bike motor out there when running right and vibration is nill ....
These motors are hard mounted??? I thought they were on vibration dampening smoothie material or something....mine is real smooth! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: (JK)

dan filipi":28c5xnyc said:
To add....

I think machining this pulley to include this washer would increase the cost and may also require a larger cut out in the front covers, maybe, maybe not.

In my experience the pulley works just fine as originally drawn and any modifications to it is just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Well it takes a fool to argue with experience. At times I'm a fool, this just isn't one of those times. Thanks for the insight Dan.

i will look into incorperating the washer tothe pulley but the only fear i have with this is getting the pulley back off , you would have to remove the clutch side timming cover then i think you would have to pry some to get the pulley out of the crank pulley and clear of the other timming cover to et to the bolt behind the pulley . there isnt much room between the crank pulley and timming cover and you have to remove the new pulley to pull throttle side timming cover .........

ok now i got behind this weekend due to alot of rain and being sick so i didnt get a chance to work on the ole girl till today

Attachments

• P2220004.JPG
    P2220004.JPG
    118.1 KB
  • P2220005.JPG
    P2220005.JPG
    76.7 KB
  • P2220006.JPG
    P2220006.JPG
    60.1 KB
The pulley hub was already made longer to allow for that same bolt head. There are 3 options now: 1) shorten the bolt head 2) lengthen the pulley shaft more 3) machine material off the back edge of the Pullley. My vote is for #3 because: #2 will produce both more rad interference and more stress on the shaft and bearings supporting the pulley and #1 is just nasty.

Country, as the one on the spot what do you suggest?

Silly Rabbit's, I just rounded the bolt head an cut a groove in it and used a string, works good...Who needs cover's anyway.. ha ha :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Yes I have the knot in the string...gosh

Been following this :laptop: and wanted to say at the beginingof this thread, it stated these pulleys could be used on GL1000 models. But I've been doing some checking and the crank-pulley bolt is size are 10mm for the GL1000 models. :shock: But the GL1100's are a 12mm bolt, which I assume the GL1200's are the same. So with that said, I assume one would have to shim or put in a collar to make up the difference up for stability/vibration!! Just thought I'd bring this up!! :Egyptian: :hi: Later Bob

If that's the case, I would imagine the best way to fix this problem would be to redesign the pulley to fit the 10mm bolt, that would be my take on that..a whole new pulley for the 1000's...

badorderbob":fpn422p7 said:
Been following this :laptop: and wanted to say at the beginingof this thread, it stated these pulleys could be used on GL1000 models. But I've been doing some checking and the crank-pulley bolt is size are 10mm for the GL1000 models. :shock: But the GL1100's are a 12mm bolt, which I assume the GL1200's are the same. So with that said, I assume one would have to shim or put in a collar to make up the difference up for stability/vibration!! Just thought I'd bring this up!! :Egyptian: :hi: Later Bob

It's always been unconfirmed (by me anyway) if this pulley would work on a 1000 as I nor anyone else has actually tested it afaik.

if someone could send me some measurments it wouldnt be that hard to contvert over and make some pulleys for yall 1000 guys , should be only the shaft thats different .... we are also looking at the idea of making a full kit for the 1100's should be between 150.00 to 200.00 for a bolt on kit when we get everything started up here , and could offer some mods for the 1000's if i get someone with one to help out with frame and pulley measurments

dan filipi":3im9oor7 said:
badorderbob":3im9oor7 said:

It's always been unconfirmed (by me anyway) if this pulley would work on a 1000 as I nor anyone else has actually tested it afaik.
If one would go to Honda parts and look up a 1979 Gl-1000 they would find the pulley BOLT IS a 10MM!!!!! Then at the same place look up a 1980 Gl-1100 you'd find the BOLT to be 12MM. I myself would want a snug fit, thought it my be of concern if someone putting out that type of money on a 1000Gl might want BE of Concern. It doesn't matter wither it's been tried or not But it might, just might Throw the pulley OUT OF Balance!!!!!!! 2mm Is of concern,.. wiether it's been Tried or Not :whip: !!Bob

The reason I say you would need to reconstruct or redesign the one for the 1000 is because of the keyway, see if you you try to put a sleeve or collor of the 1100 one the keyway wouldn't fit as it should or if at all....maybe it will be I doubt it.. anything can be costom made, there was one made for the 1100, just modify the plans for the 10mm bolt hole, everything else should be the same..

finally found the firefly alternator.
14684N (1-1228-01ND-2)
replaces: DENSO 100211-141 , 100211-155 , 100211-407
Lester No 14684

These were the numbers I used to find the alternator with the foot bolted on.

Found on the net I paid $55.00 but also found them as high as $150.00

Now all I need to find is the plug to fit it.

plug no is pc-282

If anyone finds one please let me know.

https://www.dsusaltd.com/index.php?page= ... t&Itemid=2

https://store.alternatorparts.com/search ... ind=14684n

Hope this helps

You are the man Wilcoy, thank you so very much....Yeeeep peee now all I need to do is figure out a pulley to fit it to match up with the pulley Dan's guy is making, well whoever is making it, I would like to find a pulley to match it...Wilcoy, you are new here and already contributing and so is Country, awesome, we all need to work as a team on this kind of stuff..cool.. :Egyptian: