4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Angela, I thought you were making them now!
just kidding

Thanks for putting the list together Angela.

Unlike a forum crest the pulley is a part for the bike and noone is making any money on them so it's kind of hard to push forward with it.
That said we need to keep in touch with countryboy how he's coming along.
He's already got one made and installed, some refinements are being made for the final production.

fysty-1":109xq27m said:
littlebeaver":109xq27m said:
dan filipi":109xq27m said:
I used to have a lot of respect for Don (Poorboy) but after reading his recommendation to cut one rib off a 4 rib belt to make it fit a 3 rib pulley I don't know what to think anymore.

We have sort of an unwritten policy here.
There are many ways to get the job done, everyone's opinions and ideas are welcome.
Mother Honda and no one else are "God" as far as a way to get the job done.

I myself have eaten my own words far too many times to close my mind to new and often better ways.
I am...A Goldwing God ....I was sent here to say that..I'm a goldwing God...Goldwing God. Yepper doodles :smilie_happy: What's up with these silly pullies, is Angela getting them cut or is your guy getting them cut, I have heard naaawwssing?..
I'm not the one getting them made. I was just recruiting from the other forums of which you are also a member. :smilie_happy: I have turned the list over to Dan & I suggest you to read all the posts here to hear sumpin. :yahoo: :beg: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Oh, I thought you said you knew a member that was going to cut them up there in the Great White North.. Maybe it fell thru.. :shock: Maybe he bailed on you and said he couldn't do it :shock: Which is perfectly ok because stuff like that happens all the time..No big deal, Right..Now if Countryboy cuts like he paints these pullies will be awesome.. I'm in no hurry to get this conversion done, if I were I would have a pulley off a riding lawn mower or something funny like that by now... :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":210qcnf4 said:
fysty-1":210qcnf4 said:
littlebeaver":210qcnf4 said:
dan filipi":210qcnf4 said:
I used to have a lot of respect for Don (Poorboy) but after reading his recommendation to cut one rib off a 4 rib belt to make it fit a 3 rib pulley I don't know what to think anymore.

We have sort of an unwritten policy here.
There are many ways to get the job done, everyone's opinions and ideas are welcome.
Mother Honda and no one else are "God" as far as a way to get the job done.

I myself have eaten my own words far too many times to close my mind to new and often better ways.
I am...A Goldwing God ....I was sent here to say that..I'm a goldwing God...Goldwing God. Yepper doodles :smilie_happy: What's up with these silly pullies, is Angela getting them cut or is your guy getting them cut, I have heard naaawwssing?..
I'm not the one getting them made. I was just recruiting from the other forums of which you are also a member. :smilie_happy: I have turned the list over to Dan & I suggest you to read all the posts here to hear sumpin. :yahoo: :beg: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Oh, I thought you said you knew a member that was going to cut them up there in the Great White North.. Maybe it fell thru.. :shock: Maybe he bailed on you and said he couldn't do it :shock: Which is perfectly ok because stuff like that happens all the time..No big deal, Right..Now if Countryboy cuts like he paints these pullies will be awesome.. I'm in no hurry to get this conversion done, if I were I would have a pulley off a riding lawn mower or something funny like that by now... :smilie_happy:
Please LB, no disrespect of ANY kind meant but if you took my advice (meant in jest :mrgreen: ) on the last line of my last post you would have seen the change over. MagAndy was the member here (actually started @ Steve's) that ia from GWN, that agreed to look ionto have ing them made where he works but it was going to be dear for the amount of interest, then Countryboy steped in and said he could do them & that is where it has been left for now. Cheers Angela :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

You silly rabbit, watch you go and do it, it will probably could work too, if you get the hole right, what is it 12mm bolt hole, hummmm a 12mm drill bit and a drill press if the hole is smaller than a 12mm just make it the correct hole :smilie_happy: , cut or notch about three washers for the keyway and fasten that bad boy :smilie_happy: , I'd jb weld the pulley to the washers and between the washers tighten in down with a long bolt :shock: , and let dry for a day and that sucker won't ever come loose heck you could drill a set screw into the washers thru the pulley if you wanted just drill and tap and insert a set screw...Man there's no end to doing this..

Give me another beer and I'll make one out of wood for you guy's, just put it on meee lathe you see.. :smilie_happy: No I'm not drinking just kidding..

littlebeaver":3odooubj said:
Give me another beer and I'll make one out of wood for you guy's, just put it on meee lathe you see.. :smilie_happy: No I'm not drinking just kidding..
Wish I were!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: In 6 days will be 26 years dry for this old freind of Bill's. :yahoo: :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

fysty-1":5tsaxnne said:
littlebeaver":5tsaxnne said:
Wish I were!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: In 6 days will be 26 years dry for this old freind of Bill's. :yahoo: :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Damn! Reminds me that I am just about 3 years smoke free. OMG is my life boring. :rant: :rant: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

hi all , im still alive !!! lol . still working on the pullies but had to change everything up for the v belt , i think everyone should think about using a v-belt cause the pulley is going to be alot thinner . ive still got to get this pulley finished and test fit it but it looks like i wont have to space the radiator as much which will be better for the hoses . the link posted a couple pages back about the racing altenator is the key , i just bought one and its smaller that the geo altenator and about 40.00 cheaper even after shipping . also this altenator only uses a one wire out . i need to know wheather everyones using the v-belt or serpintine belt so i know what kinds and how many of each we need to make as soon as all the bugs are worked out

fysty-1":z096yhs6 said:
wilcoy02":z096yhs6 said:
lookin good countryboy.
Can anyone give me the alternator mfg/number your using? I can not find the 88 firefly in my neck of the woods.
Also what 9/16 tubing are you using for the dowels?

Looking forward to starting my adventure on my lady.

Here is one ploace you can look. I have this altenator( not installed yet) & it is only 4" od and you do not have to cut off an ear.
https://www.rareelectrical.com/p-1733-ne ... -8162.aspx

this is the link ,, thaks much for this fysty-1

Dan put me down for a v-belt, as I think the alternators set up for the v-belt am I correct on that...makes sense to me..What ever that pulley on the alternator is, is what I want, that's what I' trying to say, if it's serpentine belt pulley then I want that, if it's v-belt pulley then I want that...Thanks Dan and Countryboy. your the man.. You too Dan..Doing this for us..Country take your time man nobody is rushing you, get the pulley right and make a mold in your mind and what ever works for you is what I want..From the alternator to the belt number...

Hi All,

I would prefer to have the V-belt. I have already gone ahead and set my alternator ( 50 amp race) up for a V-belt. Question: How is the side plate for the timing belt issue going to be resolved? I have the luxury of having a spare so I have drilled my side plate out to the diameter of the pully spacer but there is no way to secure it between the timing gear and pully spacer unless you make a male notch in the side pale and a coorsponding keyway in the pully spacer. Any better way of keeping the side plate tight to the timing gar so it will infact guide the timing belt on the timing gear?

I drilled mine only as large as the pulley extension collar outside diameter which fits tight and secures it in place.
I really should pull mine and take some pictures so everyone can see this really is a simple deal but I want it together to ride.

countryboy843":13cci0fr said:
hi all , im still alive !!! lol . still working on the pullies but had to change everything up for the v belt , i think everyone should think about using a v-belt cause the pulley is going to be alot thinner . ive still got to get this pulley finished and test fit it but it looks like i wont have to space the radiator as much which will be better for the hoses . the link posted a couple pages back about the racing altenator is the key , i just bought one and its smaller that the geo altenator and about 40.00 cheaper even after shipping . also this altenator only uses a one wire out . i need to know wheather everyones using the v-belt or serpintine belt so i know what kinds and how many of each we need to make as soon as all the bugs are worked out

Hey Guys when you get the bugs worked out let me know I will buy two for sure

nice to be able to get them somewhere else I just couldnt imagine buying something from a guy that has a toy Teddybear (at least my toys are BIG and RED and knock down trees LOL)

1060dsl":3ikb4q64 said:
countryboy843":3ikb4q64 said:

nice to be able to get them somewhere else I just couldnt imagine buying something from a guy that has a toy Teddybear (at least my toys are BIG and RED and knock down trees LOL)
I think I missed sumpin! Who has a toy Teddy bear? I used to have 80 of them that I donated to a childrens hospital.
LB, that link don't work! Cheers Angela

Think it would work...I do...make it work I still want one from Countryboy and Dan though, I know that's gonna be right.. You can get two of those steel one's and cut off what you need for more length and weld it together or have a machine shop do the welding and cutting, shouldn't cost a lot, so if it's too short, add a piece is what I'm saying.. and if the keyway is too tight a dremel and a heavy duty cut off blade will take care of that..As far as the bolt length, the one I posted can always be cut down...Most important would be a sleeve so there would be no slop or spacer so it spins true..Country keep on cutting man...

fysty-1":30ep2751 said:
1060dsl":30ep2751 said:
countryboy843":30ep2751 said:

I think I missed sumpin! Who has a toy Teddy bear? I used to have 80 of them that I donated to a childrens hospital.
try it again Angie

littlebeaver":1hykvhvx said:
fysty-1":1hykvhvx said:
1060dsl":1hykvhvx said:
countryboy843":1hykvhvx said:

try it again Angie

Well that settled the pulley link but where are the bears? :beg: :Awe: :Awe: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts