4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fysty-1":2dwepkih said:
Well that settled the pulley link but where are the bears? :beg: :Awe: :Awe: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I don't think the Bears are playing right now......isn't it basketball season? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

:popcorn: :Awe: :swoon: :smilie_happy: :music2: :beer: :smilie_happy: :read: :laptop: :smilie_happy: :doh: :Doh2: :popcorn: :smilie_happy: :rant: :salute: :hi: :lazy: I think I said it all!!! :smilie_happy: :lazy: Night

It's winter time so that would make it Hockey season. I think :Doh2: :yahoo: :yahoo: There is only 3 seasons that concern me:- BlueJays season, BCLions season & BabyBlue riding season. :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Hi all could you guys post what it is going to cost for the kit or the pulley alone. I'm kinda thinking like someone else here it might be beneficial to have both just in case ... My wife already hates the 83 so both might save my buns....thanks

ok got the v-belt pully finished friday but have to do a change to it , will be ready to go on the bike this week . also got the template made for the altenator bracket and should have it made this week to . hope to have all the bugs worked out and everything on by next week . should be able to start making pulleys in the next few weeks , ust want to get things installed and check the charge levels in idle and running rpms

If you are going to supply a "kit" I would suggest you might want to consider adding an extention spacer equal in thickness to the amount that the bottom of radiator is moved forward to go between the lower radiator hose fitting and motor block where the water inlet exists. This would allow keeping the lower hose stock and eliminate undue stress that might be placed on the hose due to the new angle. It would require longer screws and one gasket unlesss you cut an "o" ring relief into it.

Hi All,

I just joined this site about week or so ago. I have read all the post to this thread & would like to answer a couple of questions raised. First is I don't think my kit is the only way to do it. I also did not say Dan's pulley was to heavy, just heavy. The keyway is not a bad idea, but in my opinon not nessuary. I have sold about 600 kits & as yet have not heard of any crank bolts coming loose.
My first pulleys were steel as that was all I could find at the time. A customer found the 3 1/2" aluminum one I used next. I got with the pulley company & asked if they would make one to my specs. We worked out a deal & after a few thousand dollars I got the first order of the pulley I use in my kit now. The 3 rib serpentine belt is about the width as a V-belt & has more contact area so the belt tension does not have to be as much as a V-belt.
An as to Dan's question of me not being to smart by taking a 4 rib belt & cutting it down to 3 ribs. Gates does not make a 3 rib belt in the length I wanted. I contacted one of their tech guys & asked about cutting off a rib & was told it would NOT compromise the belt in any way other than being narrower. He said they do the same thing only a bigger scale.
Fisty-1, The pulley you posted a picture of is the one you got though Bill I think. I don't think you can have a keyway cut in it because the part that sticks into the crankshaft is to short to inguage the key. I do not supply a 4" pulley, I said I could get one. The pulleys cost me about $70.00 & would have to have a spacer/bushing made to work. I also do not think I'm God.
Countryboy, You have machined up a very good looking pulley.
Please excuse my spelling & grammer cuse as Dan says I'm not to smart.

Poorboy

Well, I'd say everything is cool... Hey Poorboy, what made you think of this idea to start with? Were you just wanting to run more stuff or were you having issues with the 1200 Alt. as many do? I think i have this right , the pulley Dan has on his 1100 was cut to specs. from the drawing, Dan discovered that making it a 1/8" longer would be just right as the measurments in the drawing are too short and he had to take a hair off his covers to make his work, I believe Countryboy has made those adjustments on the length and I do believe the pulley sits down in the keyway as it should...Now if I'm mistaken on this you guy's can chew my butt out, but I think that's what's happening..Oh and he probably will be making more v-belt pulley's...What you did with the belt, by cutting it down is out of the box, unordinary but if you checked with the techs and they said it wouldn't hurt anything, then why not, I'd say it would depend on how they are made, what you did was you made it work, we have all done that, at least you checked with the manufacturer first.. Did it hold up fine? Thanks again for being a gentlemen and a good sport, it really is a compliment to you, having all these guy's making a fuss over something you dreamed up...What else could be better I mean really....ha ha.. Perhaps a cup holder mounted right on your false tank aaaahhh :smilie_happy: that nobody thinks is cool but me... :smilie_happy:

Pooroy":wxkr07mo said:
Hi All,

I just joined this site about week or so ago. I have read all the post to this thread & would like to answer a couple of questions raised. First is I don't think my kit is the only way to do it. I also did not say Dan's pulley was to heavy, just heavy. The keyway is not a bad idea, but in my opinon not nessuary. I have sold about 600 kits & as yet have not heard of any crank bolts coming loose.
My first pulleys were steel as that was all I could find at the time. A customer found the 3 1/2" aluminum one I used next. I got with the pulley company & asked if they would make one to my specs. We worked out a deal & after a few thousand dollars I got the first order of the pulley I use in my kit now. The 3 rib serpentine belt is about the width as a V-belt & has more contact area so the belt tension does not have to be as much as a V-belt.
An as to Dan's question of me not being to smart by taking a 4 rib belt & cutting it down to 3 ribs. Gates does not make a 3 rib belt in the length I wanted. I contacted one of their tech guys & asked about cutting off a rib & was told it would NOT compromise the belt in any way other than being narrower. He said they do the same thing only a bigger scale.
Fisty-1, The pulley you posted a picture of is the one you got though Bill I think. I don't think you can have a keyway cut in it because the part that sticks into the crankshaft is to short to inguage the key. I do not supply a 4" pulley, I said I could get one. The pulleys cost me about $70.00 & would have to have a spacer/bushing made to work. I also do not think I'm God.
Countryboy, You have machined up a very good looking pulley.
Please excuse my spelling & grammer cuse as Dan says I'm not to smart.

Poorboy

Thanks Don, I thought the one I got from Bill was a very light, black steel pulley that also needs an insert & spacer. Thanks for that I had forgotten where I had gotten it. Please forgive me if I already asked this as I know I asked it in a post. Will your original 2" pulley fit an altenator? It is a really nice pulley & would be a shame to go to waste. thanks again Don. Cheers Angela.

littlebeaver":1jwj2zu1 said:
I'm glad everyone around here has thick skin, I'm a turtle.. :smilie_happy:
I hear that! I am a Gila Monster!!!! :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

yes i think all the pulleys are in the zone of working .....the input here is great and i dont think anyone trying to put down someone else ....i like that beav the turtle ....i appreciate all the comments everyone one is making for the ones thinking this route.....good going all ...

Hey Don, I say whatever we want to do then so be it. Make it work somehow is fine but when I read you cut a rib off the belt I thought that was totally rigged but hey, I've had a couple complaints about my suggestion to ground one of the timing cover bolt heads flat. :roll:

Do we have an engineering drawing of the latest revision for the 1100's pulley??? I have a friend who is an old Brown & Sharpe toolmaker and a machinist... I would like to show him the drawing for comments...

He engineered up a fix back in 1984 for my fairing mirrors that were always loosening up and folding back on me, even after repeated tightening and locktite and such.... I would love to hear his input on the pulley situation...

Rich

Well I still look forward to the "V" pully - if we make it a kit that's great if not I will make it work either way I am still in for two let me know where to send the money when the time comes (hope you take PayPal)

:read: :lazy: :popcorn: :popcorn: AND the question remains,...Will someone make a pulley? :help: :smilie_happy:

badorderbob":1mxun8es said:
:read: :lazy: :popcorn: :popcorn: AND the question remains,...Will someone make a pulley? :help: :smilie_happy:

Read this post in page 18 of this thread.

Latest posts